"Maintain Reputation" logic

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by Ralzar » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 am

If I am no mistaken, you only change rep Rank every 30 days (or so)?

So in the scenario above, you either:

rank up and then get -1 penalty which only matters in 30 days

OR

you get the rep up and then the -1 and then you hit 30 since last rank change and does not rank up because you are 1 rep short. But if yo do another quest, you rank up.
Last edited by Ralzar on Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pango
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by pango » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:58 am

Yes, in the long run it doesn't matter so much at what time exactly you lost this point. However I can also understand player confusion, if not frustration, that this rule also applies while you're interacting with a guild.
If the rule is supposed to simulate forgetting/forgiving, it could just as well make sense that it only happens when you're doing nothing for the guild.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by BansheeXYZ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 am

Ralzar wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 am
If I am no mistaken, you only change rep every 30 days (or so)?
No, rep isn't locked out ever from changing. Being promoted in rank is what has the hidden 30 day lockout. I'm assuming demotion is like expulsion and punishment is immediate. It's not something the player is trying to raise rapidly. I think the devs were just trying to drag out the rank reward process through convolution or something. I can't really think of a better reason for why it's both there and unstated.
pango wrote:Following your scenario, reputation would decay by 1, so would not have increased enough to reach next rank requirements and the player could miss a rank up; That's not the same thing as a demotion: the player would stay at the same rank.
Say a quest gets you to exactly 30 rep in MG. This gets you promoted to Conjurer. Then you drop to 29 soon thereafter due to hitting the 113th day of natural rep decay. You would fall below the threshold for Conjurer and get demoted back to Evoker. Right?

User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by Ralzar » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:28 am

BansheeXYZ wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 am
Ralzar wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:29 am
If I am no mistaken, you only change rep every 30 days (or so)?
No, rep isn't locked out ever from changing. Being promoted in rank is what has the hidden 30 day lockout. I'm assuming demotion is like expulsion and punishment is immediate. It's not something the player is trying to raise rapidly. I think the devs were just trying to drag out the rank reward process through convolution or something. I can't really think of a better reason for why it's both there and unstated.
Dammit, I mistyped. I meant RANK only changes once every 30 days.

So once 30 days have gone, the first time you click on a guild NPC, he promotes or demotes you. Then it's 30 days until that can happen again. Your rep can fluctuate wildly up and down in those 30 days without anything happening until you pass 30 days and click on an NPC again.

User avatar
pango
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by pango » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:50 pm

BansheeXYZ wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 am
Say a quest gets you to exactly 30 rep in MG. This gets you promoted to Conjurer. Then you drop to 29 soon thereafter due to hitting the 113th day of natural rep decay. You would fall below the threshold for Conjurer and get demoted back to Evoker. Right?
Only 28 days later, since ranks are only re-evaluated that often. At least that's my understanding on how it works.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by BansheeXYZ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 am

pango wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:50 pm
BansheeXYZ wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:11 am
Say a quest gets you to exactly 30 rep in MG. This gets you promoted to Conjurer. Then you drop to 29 soon thereafter due to hitting the 113th day of natural rep decay. You would fall below the threshold for Conjurer and get demoted back to Evoker. Right?
Only 28 days later, since ranks are only re-evaluated that often. At least that's my understanding on how it works.
Bizarre. What about expulsion, is that immediate or are you immune for 29 days so long as you got demoted or promoted 1 day prior?

User avatar
pango
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by pango » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 am

Yup, expulsion can only happen after 28 days too.
Also you can stay in "supercool" state by not talking to any member of the guild; As long as nobody tells you your rank changed, it'll stay as-is.
Not very useful, but I believe this can be exploited to not be expelled if your reputation is just slightly negative: avoid any contact with the guild until your reputation is zero again.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

User avatar
Ralzar
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:11 pm
Location: Norway

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by Ralzar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 am

I acutally am in that situation right now. I got a couple of FG quests that turned out to be impossible to complete (hunting GIants at lvl3 is not advisable). SInce these were my first quests I'm at -3REP at the moment and just decided to not go back and face the music.

Hey, rep changes 1 towards 0 every 112 days right? So if I give it long enough, I'll be at 0 and they won't expell me?

User avatar
pango
Posts: 1763
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: "Maintain Reputation" logic

Post by pango » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:20 am

That's my understanding of how it works, yes. As long as the guild is listed in your affiliations, it means you have not been expelled.
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Post Reply