[MOD] Daggerfall Autosave

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
RLTYProds

Re: [MOD] Daggerfall Autosave

Post by RLTYProds »

Ralzar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:49 am Hm, I might not have downladed the right version of this mod. I only have the ability to set how often it saves and the prefix. I would really like to just have one autosave that gets constantly overwritten.
What is the correct link for this mods newest version?
Try this: https://github.com/jbrod22/df-unity.Autosave/releases

You might have downloaded 0.0.1, which only have the limited settings you mentioned. Download 0.9.0b, instead.

Also, remember to extract the dfmod files in DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/Autosave. It needs its own dedicated folder, so don't just plop it inside the Mods folder. I've made that same mistake.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

RLTYProds wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:47 am
Ralzar wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:49 am Hm, I might not have downladed the right version of this mod. I only have the ability to set how often it saves and the prefix. I would really like to just have one autosave that gets constantly overwritten.
What is the correct link for this mods newest version?
Try this: https://github.com/jbrod22/df-unity.Autosave/releases

You might have downloaded 0.0.1, which only have the limited settings you mentioned. Download 0.9.0b, instead.

Also, remember to extract the dfmod files in DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods/Autosave. It needs its own dedicated folder, so don't just plop it inside the Mods folder. I've made that same mistake.
Aw man, looking at the OP this is totally what I did :D

Dracosophy

Post by Dracosophy »

I love autosave features, thanks for working on this!
Saves me from being a crazy obsessive-compulsive-save-game-backer-upper, and keeps me less inclined to save-scum.
Kayzee wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:10 am
dMike wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:21 pm It would be trivial by just limiting the number of autosaves to 1. There's an intended feature of the mod to have a setting for the maximum number of saves.
The drawback is that with only one autosave you risk loosing/damaging your character by triggering a bug and then having the save overwritten automatically.
Yeah it's a risk for sure, but the whole point of playing that way is to take risks isn't it? Not that anyone wants to get screwed over by a bug, but that's just kinda what you have to deal with if you want to play in a style that minimizes save scumming. I'm not sure if Daggerfall is very conducive to that playstyle despite it's many roguelike roots because it has a bit too much of a time investment, but I think it would be a cool option!
I have to agree on the general old/bugginess of this game making single-save-mode unappealing, HOWEVER I play Nethack SLASHEM still, and Dungeons of Dredmor, Dwarf Fortress, UnReal World, Hinterland, Weird Worlds Return to Infinite Space, and various other anti-save-scum-games, so I appreciate the thought,
AND I have had an idea that might be conducive to it:
Just make the autosave keep 2-3 of the last saves, but keep all but one in another location so it requires the player to dig around to find them or something maybe?
Lava Croft wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:00 am I am using the Mountains & Hills mod and the autosave on travel feature will more often than not cause me to spawn underneath the world upon reloading an autosave created at my fast travel destination. This is most likely due to the Mountains & Hills mod raising the terrain to a higher point than what your mod expects from vanilla Daggerfall.
Anyone else having this issue as well? It seems like it could be ... bad... if you don't carry around a Levitate spell or know how to console-noclip or something real fast (will that even let you get back out of walls all the time? I am not sure....)
"Dra-kohso-fee" A word I created to express interest in truth & the study of danger(s).
Draco meaning: snake, serpent, or dragon (metaphorical 'ultimate challenge')
-sophy (from Greek) meaning: knowledge of-, understanding or wisdom.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Dracosophy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:36 am I have to agree on the general old/bugginess of this game making single-save-mode unappealing, HOWEVER I play Nethack SLASHEM still, and Dungeons of Dredmor, Dwarf Fortress, UnReal World, Hinterland, Weird Worlds Return to Infinite Space, and various other anti-save-scum-games, so I appreciate the thought,
AND I have had an idea that might be conducive to it:
Just make the autosave keep 2-3 of the last saves, but keep all but one in another location so it requires the player to dig around to find them or something maybe?
The mod you want exists; it's the Ironman mod.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Dracosophy

Post by Dracosophy »

Narf the Mouse wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:14 am
Dracosophy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:36 am I always type too much.
The mod you want exists; it's the Ironman mod.
Ah yes, cool. I've got that downloaded as well and was planning to use it for the critical strike fix at least.
I'll be testing most of the main mods people use and the ones on the first couple pages of this forum in the next couple days...
thanks for the info. ! :)
"Dra-kohso-fee" A word I created to express interest in truth & the study of danger(s).
Draco meaning: snake, serpent, or dragon (metaphorical 'ultimate challenge')
-sophy (from Greek) meaning: knowledge of-, understanding or wisdom.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I have two cases atm of users of my mod Climates & Cloaks who experience residual effects from the mod when loading. Both use this Autosave mod.
For example, swimming, then loading a previous game and still being wet.
The problem can be fixed by restarting the game.

Might this mod be missing some function normal save/load uses to reset the game state? If so, it’ll probably affect more than just my mod, it’s just that C&Cs effects are more noticable.

pango

Post by pango »

Got an interesting bug today, that reminded me of classic bugs ;)
I was on an elevator going up while autosave kicked in, and I fell thru the elevator...

And if I reload that autosave, I fall thru the elevator too
Attachments
SAVE636.zip
(440.94 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

N_Molson

Post by N_Molson »

Thanks for that great "mod" (I'd rather say "extra functionnality" !). A must have, especially the autosave on enter/exit ! 8-) Maybe it could be included in stock DFU ?

Uncanny_Valley

Post by Uncanny_Valley »

Fantastic mod! Can't play without it!

TheRiddick2077

Post by TheRiddick2077 »

Often when I love autosaves after traveling it puts me under the ground and I fall. Its not a big issue as only happens sometimes when fast traveling to a location and can be solved by pressing v and traveling to same location again.

Makes you wonder what's causing it.