Missing UI Sounds

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Doctor3d

Missing UI Sounds

Post by Doctor3d »

I wasn't sure if this just something that wasn't done yet or if you all may have just forgot about it. But, a lot of the UI sounds are missing the clicksound that came with the original game.

I believe " DaggerfallUI.Instance.PlayOneShot(SoundClips.ButtonClick)" needs to be added under the *OnMouseClick for each of those buttons.

They are missing entirely from the stat interface, inventory (except for the up and down arrows), the map screens, and from the save\exit menu.

pango

Re: Missing UI Sounds

Post by pango »

You're right, just checked that classic uses clicksounds in many of the places you mentioned.
Personally I only checked in character creation because some screens have clicksounds, other not... but it matches classic. For some reason I never noticed that sounds could be missing later in the UI.

Looks like something that was forgotten, I don't remember this being in any public todo list...

Did you plan to fix it? Otherwise I can probably take care of fixing that too... It shouldn't be difficult, just time consuming to observe all the events where some sound is missing compared to classic, and find the right place to add PlayOneShots.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Doctor3d

Post by Doctor3d »

Sure I'll do what I can. I've already got a few of them done just as I was going through modding on my own copy and adding it as I saw it. I'll put in pull-requests on them soon when I get a chance. Here's the one's I have done at the moment.

DaggerfallInventoryWindow - Inventory Screen
DaggerfallLoadClassicGameWindow - Classic Load Screen
DaggerfallRestWindow - Resting Cancel Button
DaggerfallPauseOptionsWindow - Sounds from some (Like Exit) are already called from diff script.
DaggerfallPlayerHistoryWindow - The up and down arrows & Exit
DaggerfallAutomapWindow - All the arrow buttons, stair buttons, compass and Exit buttons
DaggerfallBankingWindow - The function buttons

Unfortunately, you can't use DaggerfallMessageBox.cs to do this. It works for many of the buttons universally since you can add it in globally here - BUT - in many cases this will cause the sound to play twice (which makes it louder)- like when there's a pop-up window for instance.

pango

Post by pango »

Thank you!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Doctor3d

Post by Doctor3d »

A large majority of all the sounds are now restored and put in the PR queue. There are still a few (approx 10%) buttons throughout that are still missing the sound to match classic. I'll add those as time permits and as I discover them.

Everything i've added should be a 1:1 match for how classic did the sound. There are some buttons where you would think a clicksound would be appropriate for the feedback, but it wasn't in classic - so I didn't do it in the changes. I tried to replicate it exactly.

At this point most people would never know that any of the sounds are even missing - there's just VERY few left, but they are small ones scattered around and in windows you don't access very frequently.

If no one else completes it, I'll get back to it soon enough and finish it more.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you guys, I had a feeling the click sounds were missing in the character creation menu where you distribute the points, but I was not sure and I dont have a dosbox anymore to test the pure vanilla, so I let that be.

I really appreciate what you did here *thumbs up*