Post Processing Effects Customizer (v1.2.1)

A curated forum for approved mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
User avatar
pango
Posts: 2330
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by pango » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:23 pm

frankybanga wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:02 pm
TAA is not working anymore, I miss it because it's the best form of AA imo. Any ideas on how to bring it back ?
Same problem for Bloom.

Daggerfall Unity 0.10.11, PostProcess Mod 1.1.0
Both seem to work for me, using those versions. I'm using Linux, but I doubt it matters (even if it could).
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

User avatar
frankybanga
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:36 pm
Location: France

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by frankybanga » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:08 pm

pango wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:23 pm
frankybanga wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:02 pm
TAA is not working anymore, I miss it because it's the best form of AA imo. Any ideas on how to bring it back ?
Same problem for Bloom.

Daggerfall Unity 0.10.11, PostProcess Mod 1.1.0
Both seem to work for me, using those versions. I'm using Linux, but I doubt it matters (even if it could).
I'm on Windows 10, so maybe the problem comes from here.

User avatar
mikeprichard
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by mikeprichard » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Quick question for TheLacus - is there a specific reason this mod (Post Processing Effects) isn't hosted on Nexus with your other DFU mods, assuming you're willing to discuss? I vaguely remember discussion earlier in this topic and/or elsewhere on the DFU forums indicating this mod might still have a few issues needing to be resolved (?), and having now reviewed the DFU Nexus mods collection (https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/) for the first time, I'm simply wondering if the absence of this one mod from Nexus is an indicator of continued work being done. To be very clear: I have no strong preference as to where this or any other mod is hosted (not that my preference would influence your decision regardless), ideally as long as you're able to maintain the mod somewhere (i.e. here on the DFU forums or Nexus, if not both). Thanks!

User avatar
DigitalMonk
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by DigitalMonk » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:21 pm

First, thank you for exposing Unity's Post Processing settings to us. Lots of very cool toys.

One that is near and dear to my heart is Eye Adaptation, which I'm assuming is using the "Auto Exposure" settings of Unity. I spent some considerable time on shader support for MGE XE to get proper luminosity and chroma desaturation eye adaptation in Morrowind, and it ended up very immersive (except for horrors about the Morrowind rendering engine that made it generate a blinding flash every time it paused to load a cell). None of which is particularly relevant except to explain where I'm coming from... (I'd love to talk about it, but it's irrelevant unless we can write a shader that has access to the filtered average brightness from the Auto Exposure system -- nudge, nudge, wink, wink to anyone deep enough inside Unity to know how this could happen)

How hard would it be to expose Unity's Auto Exposure sliders to us through your mod? The settings that get used currently lead to darkening and muddying out the sky (ruins Enhanced Sky) and other bright scenes, and limits the amount of dark adjustment that your eyes can do.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.u ... osure.html

If it's relatively easy, it would be great to expose all of the sliders (Filtering% (low/high), Minimum EV, Maximum EV, Exposure Compensation (the description of that sounds like "gray level" might be better, but I'm not sure), Speed Up, and Speed Down). I feel fairly strongly that "Type" should always be "Progressive", or else this isn't Eye Adaptation. If all of the sliders were available, those of us with too much time on our hands and too much obsession could play with them to find various settings and then export various presets for people to play with.

If it's a pain to expose these, then I would rank the importance:
  • Maximum - Lets the player decide whether or not they want to tone down bright scenes. This would solve the muddiness problem that currently forces me to disable Eye Adaptation. I suspect that the scene is never actually so bright that the user would want exposure to kick in. Noon outside looks fine without any exposure compensation, and looking at the sun is blinding no matter how long you do it (until your retinas stop functioning, but that's not really "adaptation")
  • Minimum - Lets the player decide how dark-adapted they're willing to let their eyes become. Could render torches somewhat irrelevant, but if the effect is slow, spells and built-in light sources will be blinding (as they should be ;) ) Useful for slow sneaky types who just have to pay the patience cost for living in shadows. Also useful for people who want to play Khajiit or other other characters who thematically have Night Eye built in.
  • Speed Down - Lets the player decide how rapidly they become dark-adapted.
  • Speed Up - Lets the player decide how soon they can quit screaming when they step out of a dungeon at noon...
  • Exposure Compensation - Lets the player decide where they like their midpoint to be, which is just a matter of taste, monitor behavior, and real-world ambient lighting...
  • Filtering - at this point everything is available :)
And, of course, I could have Min/Max backwards because I'm just going from that documentation page and haven't been able to play with any of this directly.

With gratitude, bated breath, and crossed fingers,
Digital Monk

P.S. I have no idea how hard this is to do, but if these settings could be changed while inside the game, that would be spectacular. I've seen a couple of console commands for changing mod settings and post processing settings, but they didn't work for me (may be a Linux thing, may be something I've failed to configure properly)

User avatar
DigitalMonk
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by DigitalMonk » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:06 pm

I'll try to be less verbose than normal...

I've been having an issue on DFU 0.10.11 Alpha with Post Processing 1.1.0 in the early evening -- my test save is at 19:00, but I don't know what the specific triggers are.

BloomErrors.png
BloomErrors.png (357.42 KiB) Viewed 460 times

Would be better in a video, because these regions pop in and out, and the dark bar in the middle changes, with chunks being added or removed. Roughly 1 second intervals between changes.

Issues both in the sky and in the water, though the water may just be a reflection. This is obviously Sentinel, but I've seen it in several regions.

I've been turning things on and off to localize it, and it appears to be the Bloom system. Since it only happens around dusk, I'm wondering if there's something about very specific brightness values? I dunno. If it matters, my other PostProc settings are:
  • FXAA 2
  • AO Intensity 0.8, Radius 2.0, Medium
  • Motion Blur 15
  • Vignette 10
  • DoF, Bloom, and Dithering (but not Eye Adaptation, though I want it)
  • SSR turned off
Thought it might be a Skyshards glitch, what with the blue glow and seeming to be out in the wilderness, but Skyshards doesn't seem to impact it either way.

Since it's in the sky, it may matter that I'm running Enhanced Sky, not using Sun Flare, and Cloud Quality set to 800.

Sometimes it's at the horizon, so it may matter that I'm using Distant Terrain, all the checkboxes.

I get that it is a bloom effect, I just can't figure out why it's wanting to apply it around dark regions...

Thanks!
Mac

User avatar
DigitalMonk
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by DigitalMonk » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 pm

DigitalMonk wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:06 pm
Since it's in the sky, it may matter that I'm running Enhanced Sky, not using Sun Flare, and Cloud Quality set to 800.
This only happens with Enhanced Sky, but I know the legacy sky is handled very differently from Enhanced. Cloud Quality doesn't seem to matter, as I have also tried up to max and down to min.

User avatar
pango
Posts: 2330
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by pango » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:35 am

I reported that issue in April...

Too bad I can't seem to compile mods anymore :(
It would be interesting to try disabling MSAA in Enhanced Sky's SkyCam prefab to see if there's any improvement...
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

User avatar
pango
Posts: 2330
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:14 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by pango » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:19 am

From looking around, disabling MSAA is just a workround, the root issue must be NaNs in a shader somewhere...
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

User avatar
TheLacus
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:22 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by TheLacus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:58 pm

King of Worms wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 am
TheLacus wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:07 am
New version is available.
Thank you! SSAO confirmed back in action.

How hard would be to implement god-rays? Its a thing I still miss in DFU, we need to make those sunrise/sundowns more vivid :lol:
I might be willing to support buying some basic shaderpack from store if it helps?
mikeprichard wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:17 pm
Quick question for TheLacus - is there a specific reason this mod (Post Processing Effects) isn't hosted on Nexus with your other DFU mods, assuming you're willing to discuss? I vaguely remember discussion earlier in this topic and/or elsewhere on the DFU forums indicating this mod might still have a few issues needing to be resolved (?), and having now reviewed the DFU Nexus mods collection (https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/) for the first time, I'm simply wondering if the absence of this one mod from Nexus is an indicator of continued work being done. To be very clear: I have no strong preference as to where this or any other mod is hosted (not that my preference would influence your decision regardless), ideally as long as you're able to maintain the mod somewhere (i.e. here on the DFU forums or Nexus, if not both). Thanks!
I'll answer both of these questions at the same time. This mod is an implementation of the Post Processing pack developed by Unity. This means that i often have no control over some issues that are reported, because they may be issues with the actual effect or possibly caused by specific version of Unity. I believe is better to consider it as a beta until we reach a stable game release; at that point i think we might even consider including it with the core game, at least main effects like antialising or ambient occlusion...
For the moment post processing effects have a low priority and i can't provide more support other than trying to fix the issues that are reported or add minor improvements. This is also the reason i'm keeping this mod on the forums rather than publishing it on Nexus, which would lead people to have higher expectation.
DigitalMonk wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:21 pm
First, thank you for exposing Unity's Post Processing settings to us. Lots of very cool toys.

One that is near and dear to my heart is Eye Adaptation, which I'm assuming is using the "Auto Exposure" settings of Unity. I spent some considerable time on shader support for MGE XE to get proper luminosity and chroma desaturation eye adaptation in Morrowind, and it ended up very immersive (except for horrors about the Morrowind rendering engine that made it generate a blinding flash every time it paused to load a cell). None of which is particularly relevant except to explain where I'm coming from... (I'd love to talk about it, but it's irrelevant unless we can write a shader that has access to the filtered average brightness from the Auto Exposure system -- nudge, nudge, wink, wink to anyone deep enough inside Unity to know how this could happen)

How hard would it be to expose Unity's Auto Exposure sliders to us through your mod? The settings that get used currently lead to darkening and muddying out the sky (ruins Enhanced Sky) and other bright scenes, and limits the amount of dark adjustment that your eyes can do.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.u ... osure.html

If it's relatively easy, it would be great to expose all of the sliders (Filtering% (low/high), Minimum EV, Maximum EV, Exposure Compensation (the description of that sounds like "gray level" might be better, but I'm not sure), Speed Up, and Speed Down). I feel fairly strongly that "Type" should always be "Progressive", or else this isn't Eye Adaptation. If all of the sliders were available, those of us with too much time on our hands and too much obsession could play with them to find various settings and then export various presets for people to play with.

If it's a pain to expose these, then I would rank the importance:
  • Maximum - Lets the player decide whether or not they want to tone down bright scenes. This would solve the muddiness problem that currently forces me to disable Eye Adaptation. I suspect that the scene is never actually so bright that the user would want exposure to kick in. Noon outside looks fine without any exposure compensation, and looking at the sun is blinding no matter how long you do it (until your retinas stop functioning, but that's not really "adaptation")
  • Minimum - Lets the player decide how dark-adapted they're willing to let their eyes become. Could render torches somewhat irrelevant, but if the effect is slow, spells and built-in light sources will be blinding (as they should be ;) ) Useful for slow sneaky types who just have to pay the patience cost for living in shadows. Also useful for people who want to play Khajiit or other other characters who thematically have Night Eye built in.
  • Speed Down - Lets the player decide how rapidly they become dark-adapted.
  • Speed Up - Lets the player decide how soon they can quit screaming when they step out of a dungeon at noon...
  • Exposure Compensation - Lets the player decide where they like their midpoint to be, which is just a matter of taste, monitor behavior, and real-world ambient lighting...
  • Filtering - at this point everything is available :)
And, of course, I could have Min/Max backwards because I'm just going from that documentation page and haven't been able to play with any of this directly.

With gratitude, bated breath, and crossed fingers,
Digital Monk

P.S. I have no idea how hard this is to do, but if these settings could be changed while inside the game, that would be spectacular. I've seen a couple of console commands for changing mod settings and post processing settings, but they didn't work for me (may be a Linux thing, may be something I've failed to configure properly)
Hi! I'm happy to allow for more customization of this effect, but i would avoid 1:1 link from mod settings to API settings. What i've been trying to do with other effects is to merge more configuration options, which can be too advanced or obscure for most people, into more handy sliders. I'll see what i can do for auto exposure. :) Documentation for the version used in game (which is not latest one) is available here.
Mod System documentation - Learn how to create mods for Daggerfall Unity.
Modder Discussion - General help and discussion for the mod system.
Github Issues - Submit a bug report for the game, including the mod system.

User avatar
TheLacus
Posts: 1150
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:22 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD] Post Processing Effects

Post by TheLacus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:01 pm

DigitalMonk wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:21 pm
P.S. I have no idea how hard this is to do, but if these settings could be changed while inside the game, that would be spectacular. I've seen a couple of console commands for changing mod settings and post processing settings, but they didn't work for me (may be a Linux thing, may be something I've failed to configure properly)
I only recently introduced core support for live mod settings changes, so there are no mods that support it right now. I plan to gradually enable it for my mods as i release updates.
Mod System documentation - Learn how to create mods for Daggerfall Unity.
Modder Discussion - General help and discussion for the mod system.
Github Issues - Submit a bug report for the game, including the mod system.

Post Reply