[WIP]Airships - Update 0.2.7 [22 Sept 2020]

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kaedius

Re: [WIP]Airships Mod Update 0.2.0 - Charter Flights (9/27)

Post by Kaedius »

Hazelnut wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:40 pm Yeah that looks really cool. How are you storing these placements? Do you have code somewhere on github? This is so good for player ship and house decorating, an in-game editor essentially.
The placements are stored in an array and saved with the IHasModSaveData interface along with other mod data. The airships mod itself will go up on GitHub once most of the main features are in and refactored, but I can likely pull the interior customization part and turn it into a standalone house and ship editor and get it on GitHub "soon" as it's mostly handled by the interface window and not terribly entwined with the rest of the mod.

I just need to experiment with having the mods talk to each other properly and serializing the data smoothly between the two now. Luckily TheLacus' mod.MessageReceiver will seem to help immensely.
Midknightprince wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:22 am It seems like around the walls you get stuck when you get off your ship sometimes, and that's pretty sneaky with no levitating around it ( I guess to circumvent an exploit ?), and once the driver spawned in the air floating next to the boat, so when I could levitate to him when I clicked on him, him and the boat just floated off ( and he was just walking in place next to it the whole time).
Yeah, a better check when disembarking will need to be looked into as I've gotten stuck in a house before. Interesting about the floating pilot though, haven't had that happen before. Please let me know if it occurs again. Also, was it the medium ship or the small ship if you can recall?
The ropes can be tricky to click on, that could just be one of the mods though, and I don't think the boat textures are using the king of worms textures which it seems like it should because the boats you pay for do..
Maybe I'm Wrong, it could just be this reshade everything looks crazy with it.
I too have trouble clicking the ropes, and will experiment with making them a bit thicker. At the moment custom textures are not used on the ship due to it being a custom model. It's definitely on my list of things to look into.
I'm thinking cannons, cannons and let us dye the sail black with a red dragon ( yeah you don't need cannons but who cares), and maybe put a skull on front of the boat ( I know it probably can't be done, just sayin).
I've played around with cannons before I committed to making a real mod out of this, and they will likely be implemented eventually. Simply slapping them on the deck with motion tracking and being chased by a pirate was fun, but I think immobile side cannons below deck might be what I'd opt for. Then positioning and getting off a full broadside would be pretty satisfying and tactical, though making a smart enough AI will become harder.

johnwax

Problems when using DF Trees mod

Post by johnwax »

Video made me drool. Downloaded and installed. . I run x64 with 8 gb and a 6 Gb video card., and am using the latest build of DFU. I use the Tress of Daggerfall, real grass and enhanced sky mods. The video card handles these with ease on the ground. When flying the airship, however, framerate drops to 0 every few seconds. I realize that 3D tress are resource intensive, but the card should be able to handle it. Any other reasons you can think of? I'm not going to turn DF trees, grass or sky off, so I might be airship-less. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

It just moves too fast and DFU terrain streaming is not that good - lets face it. Its not streaming but more like - load everything at once once you cross a line.

8gb ram is too little atm. I saw dfu showing 11gb ram used and that was without 3d trees, which are extremely demanding and I just cant use them.

Your 6gb 1060 is also not as good as u might think.. or what card is it?

Anyway, i dont think this can be forced thru with any current HW. Only optimalization of world streaming might help..

Just a thought

Ps: 3d trees make the streaming even worse.. so yea.

johnwax

Post by johnwax »

To KOW - Thanks for the reply. As Deckard Cain would say, "It is as I feared." I'm going to add more ram but I don't think that will help. *sigh* Thanks again.

Doctor3d

Post by Doctor3d »

johnwax wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:57 pm To KOW - Thanks for the reply. As Deckard Cain would say, "It is as I feared." I'm going to add more ram but I don't think that will help. *sigh* Thanks again.
One thing you could try is reducing the game from "Fantastic" to "Beautiful" this will change very, very little in terms of visual quality - but it won't use quite as an agressive LOD setting. (It will in no way affect the sprite\texture quality of your game as those are still on "Full-Size" at that setting - but the trees DO respond to the lower LOD setting) Turn shadows to "High" instead of "Very High" and turn the detail distance to 3 or possibly even try 2.

If you're using Real Grass - slightly crank down the distance at which the grass draws in its settings - drop it to about 90 or so. Then change the density to say 8. Put the Rocks & Flowers on "Reduced".

You'll likely stutter WAY less if you do all that - and the game will not look hardly any different.

CringingDragon

Post by CringingDragon »

Super handy mod especially as I'm using tedious travel. However during a longer duration the ground vanished and the ship just kept travelling forward forever well past the desired location. That was during a chartered paid flight.

Kaedius

Re: Problems when using DF Trees mod

Post by Kaedius »

CringingDragon wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:56 am Super handy mod especially as I'm using tedious travel. However during a longer duration the ground vanished and the ship just kept travelling forward forever well past the desired location. That was during a chartered paid flight.
Hmm that doesn't sound good! Did you see this occur, and if so was it with the small ship or medium ship? I ask if you saw it occur because if the ship crashed into the terrain, it's possible it burrowed through the terrain and entered no-mans-land, which is possible with the temporary terrain collision checks at the moment.
johnwax wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:47 am Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Unfortunately the massive speeds and high world visibility of the airships aren't really something the unity build had any reason to consider, so as KOW mentioned there's a bit of a lag involved with blasting across the world at high speed. But this can be exacerbated by mods, particularly the grass, distant terrain, and 3d trees mods.

Doctor3d has great suggestions for reducing the drain, but the grass mod definitely tanked my FPS during testing with my mediocre rig, and I imagine 3d trees would be even worse. At the moment I don't really have any recommendations beyond what Doctor3d said.

As a general update, I won't have much time during December and midway through January to work on much, but I'd like to get the ship interior decorator out as a stand-alone mod that'll work with vanilla houses and ships as well as Airships. I've split it out as a stand-alone mod just fine, but need more testing and work to make sure it's compatible with Airships and decide how far I should go with making it usable and extensible or just stick with a hard Airships compatibility.

Pr0ph3t

Post by Pr0ph3t »

Hello !
Really great mod, but the big ships go too fast with tedious travel and they fly off the map, is it possible to slow down the big ships to the same speed or maybe a little slower than the small ships ? The small airships for charter don't seem to have this problem (I use charter a lot).

I tried modifying the charter manager to force small ships only but I have no idea how to repack it as a dfmod. Any thoughts ?

Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase :P Can't play the game without this mod lol I'm spoiled now :(

So basically for now unless you have a better fix in mind just force small ships for charter since you can't control their speed. Key is really to make sure the terrain loads before the ship enters the zone

EDIT: Hmm after some experimentation it seems although too much time compression can send you off the map the chartered 'large' ships fly way too low I think that's the problem. Because I flew between 2 towns successfully with a large ship but it basically flew in like 2 ft above the ground

Maddock Emerson

Post by Maddock Emerson »

Possible bug/oversight: I can't buy an airship with a letter of credit.

Now, I don't know if everybody else was setting the price really low or what, but my fighter with slightly above average strength can carry a maximum of 30,000 directly on him, and that's if I unequip basically everything. Normally, taking my loads of armor and spare blades into account, I can carry an extra 10-15K.

I managed to scrounge up 100,000 in gold on my wagon, but the merchant won't take the gold from the wagon. Apparently it all has to fit in a backpack or no sale.

This sucks because I really like the fact that an airship costs as much as an equivalent regular ship of the next size up, but I can't buy one legitimately.

It'd be better if airships replaced the regular ships entirely so that you could just purchase one from a bank, since oceanic ships are so impractical given the alternative (especially if you have Tedious Travel where ships are complicated and kinda broken). If that doesn't happen I guess I'll lower the prices and up the frequency of air traffic so I can pretend it makes sense that I got one so cheap.

Leeux

Post by Leeux »

Pretty sure it takes the money from the bank, if you have it in the region where you're wanting to buy the airship, no need to carry it on yourself! :) Granted, last time I bought my ship was on an earlier version and could have changed... haven't been playing much lately :|