Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: Tedious Travel 0.4.2 (2019-10-16)

Post by Ralzar »

Aleryn wrote:I've had Warm Ashes downloaded for months and have been sorta 'saving it up'
Note that these mods are under constant development. The version you downloaded months again is probably pretty bare bone compared to what the mod has now.

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

Also, I humbly ask those relevant to consider an option for the mod to allow some exceptions to the travel time
This has come up several times, and I would do it if I could spare the time. As it is, I hardly get to putting in the stuff I want, much less stuff I have no personal desire for. So unless someone else puts it in (code is on github), it's not gonna happen, sorry.
Raising the compression cap wouldn't be an issue, but are you seriously telling me that you can run this at 100x without the world literally ending around you? What beast of a machine do you have?
Truth is I've had Warm Ashes downloaded for months and have been sorta 'saving it up' as random encounter mods are my favourite addition to just about any RPG. Heck, its what sold me on Pathfinder Kingmaker. Have to set camp, hunt wildlife for sustenance, AND deal with encounters.
I heartily recommend you to check out Realms of Arcadia: Blade of destiny and Star Trail, then. They have the best travel system of any RPG I've ever played. It's basically the oregon trail, except with more towns in between, and the odd oger adding to your woes. While you can't die of disynterie, there's plenty of other deseases that will. Be *very* afraid of skeletons, the buggers transmit diseases like there's no tomorrow.
There's decent remakes of the games on steam if you find the originals (should be available on GoG) too old.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

I apologize for requesting even MORE features than you've already provided and then some for this now essential mod for my use. I chalk it up to growing pains of getting use to the mod; current time compression is good once I grew accustom and also started using the AWESOME port travel features. Thank you for all the time and effort as Daggerfall feels larger and more ominous than I thought possible with this mod. I should have just waited a week after installing it before commenting.

In response to your question about 100x or greater time compression, I'm running a really common desktop Intel i5 processor. Though its probably monstrous compared to most notebooks, if that is a point of comparison.

Thank you for the Realms of Arkania recommendations, I picked both of them up on GoG. The 90s pixel graphics are gorgeous and in the same wheelhouse as Daggerfall. Will keep an eye on the remakes in the future though...

jedidia

Post by jedidia »

In response to your question about 100x or greater time compression, I'm running a really common desktop Intel i5 processor. Though its probably monstrous compared to most notebooks, if that is a point of comparison.
You're probably running vanilla graphics... I honestly never tested to how far time compression could be pushed safely on a decent system without graphics mods. If 100x works fine, I could raise the cap. It's too much for people running graphics mods in the first place, so setting it higher wouldn't break anything that isn't already broken.

pango

Post by pango »

With high time compressions, you still get random encounters, hopefully still get some sense of world scale, but you won't be able to stop to investigate anything you get saw... In other words, you're throwing serendipity out of the window...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Stelcio

Post by Stelcio »

I discovered a bug or, to be more precise, an exploit. If you are in a port town and travel using port mode, you can type whatever town you want in search and travel there "by boat", no matter if it's a port town or not.

pango

Post by pango »

Stelcio wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:35 pm I discovered a bug or, to be more precise, an exploit. If you are in a port town and travel using port mode, you can type whatever town you want in search and travel there "by boat", no matter if it's a port town or not.
Yup, that bug was reported already...

FindLocation(), after calling distance.FindBestMatches(), iterates over the results to only keep places that are already revealed on the map.
I think that the TT version, when in "port towns only" mode, should also check that the town is a port town.

I don't know why I can't compile mods anymore, but probably something like

Code: Select all

diff --git a/Scripts/TediousTravelMap.cs b/Scripts/TediousTravelMap.cs
index 11c794d..cef0cf4 100644
--- a/Scripts/TediousTravelMap.cs
+++ b/Scripts/TediousTravelMap.cs
@@ -1711,6 +1711,9 @@ namespace TediousTravel
                 DFPosition pos = MapsFile.LongitudeLatitudeToMapPixel((int)locationInfo.Longitude, (int)locationInfo.Latitude);
                 if (DaggerfallUnity.ContentReader.HasLocation(pos.X, pos.Y, out findLocationSummary))
                 {
+                    if (portsFilter && !tediousData.IsPortTown(findLocationSummary.RegionIndex, findLocationSummary.MapIndex))
+                        continue;
+
                     // only make location searchable if it is already discovered
                     if (!checkLocationDiscovered(findLocationSummary))
                         continue;
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

How does the travel work if you are a vampire?
Edit: I got my answer and it is...awfully.
Last edited by Seferoth on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

I added a mod message to Real Grass (version 2.7 on Nexus) to allow it to be toggled by other mods; this is something i have been requested for improved compatibility with Tedious Travel.
The following call removes grass from all terrains and avoid setup of new terrains found when travelling:

ModManager.Instance.SendModMessage("Real Grass", "toggle", false);
And of course this one re-enables it, starting from terrain where player is standing on. Unfortunately this is an heavy operation, so it can take a few frames to get a smooth framerate again right after is invoked:

ModManager.Instance.SendModMessage("Real Grass", "toggle", true);

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

I'm having a slight issue running this (version 0.4.2) in DFU 0.10.12. Logs shows the mod loads but when it tries to generate the port data, it fails:
Spoiler!

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.AssetInjection.WorldDataReplacement.AssignBlockIndices (DFLocation dfLocation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.AssetInjection.WorldDataReplacement.AddLocationToRegion (Int32 regionIndex, DaggerfallConnect.DFRegion& dfRegion, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& mapNames, System.Collections.Generic.List`1& mapTable, DFLocation dfLocation) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.AssetInjection.WorldDataReplacement.GetDFRegionAdditionalLocationData (Int32 regionIndex, DaggerfallConnect.DFRegion& dfRegion) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallConnect.Arena2.MapsFile.ReadRegion (Int32 region) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallConnect.Arena2.MapsFile.LoadRegion (Int32 region) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DaggerfallConnect.Arena2.MapsFile.GetRegion (Int32 region) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TediousTravel.TediousData.GeneratePortTownData (System.String dataPath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TediousTravel.TediousData.LoadPortTowns (System.String dataPath) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TediousTravel.TediousTravel.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
This may have to do with changes to the WorldData system or just me being stupid.

Using an official DFU build 0.10.13 works fine. Will investigate more but suspect my own stupidity.
Last edited by BadLuckBurt on Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt