[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Aleryn

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Aleryn »

!!! This mod is incredible and become one of my ESSENTIAL favourites faster than just about anything I can remember. Your time from first post to the progress of the current build is batty; I hope you're getting sleep!

Thanks so much to Ralzar and all who helped!

Gushing aside, note to other users of this mod that if you don't immediately receive climate conditions [including inside dungeons] when looking up, then just rotate your view left or right and the mod should report in less than a second. The temperature report was really handy when I was going from freezing horrid winter outside to balmy dungeon inside. just wait a second or two and it'll post a temperature report.

First time I've ever been required to carry two extremely different sets of clothes!
Last edited by Aleryn on Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pango

Post by pango »

Aleryn wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm First time I've ever been required to carry two extremely different sets of clothes!
That would work perfectly with such mod...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Aleryn wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm !!! This mod is incredible and become one of my ESSENTIAL favourites faster than just about anything I can remember. Your time from first post to the progress of the current build is batty; I hope you're getting sleep!
Thank you! It's so great to hear other people are enjoying my work.

I have now moved to Nexus and changed the DL link to point there.

Updated to v0.81 for some bug fixes and Hazelnut gave me some pointers on how to tighten up the code.

At the current time I consider the mod relatively complete. At least to the point where I probably won't spew out new features at a rate of 2/day :D
I will now actually attempt to play the game again and enjoy my creation for a while before I start looking at trying some new stuff, like items or water effects for cold. And who knows, if the terrain stuff BadLuckBurt is messing with turns up some proper mountains, I might make some altitude effects ;)

Firebrand

Post by Firebrand »

pango wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm
Aleryn wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm First time I've ever been required to carry two extremely different sets of clothes!
That would work perfectly with such mod...
It would be really handy.

Lorex

Post by Lorex »

I'm really enjoying this mod so far, well done!

I would make two suggestions. First it should be better to have the mod disabled during fast travel, my character died traveling by boat from Daggerfall to a desert city and when arrived there was a message spam (probably because it was too hot and I was too much dressed) and then died. Also when you are in prison it should be better to disable it, to avoid bad events.

Second, if not already implemented, would be nice to add a sort of random temperature variation. What I mean is even if weather condition is stable for days there could be colder winds from north, or hotter winds from south that could lower or increase temperature (just an example), so you could have unusual hotter days in winter or unusual colder days in summer.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Lorex wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:10 am I'm really enjoying this mod so far, well done!
Thank you! :)
I would make two suggestions. First it should be better to have the mod disabled during fast travel, my character died traveling by boat from Daggerfall to a desert city and when arrived there was a message spam (probably because it was too hot and I was too much dressed) and then died. Also when you are in prison it should be better to disable it, to avoid bad events.
The mod should disable during fast travel. But this is an option that I turned off and on again a couple of times during development, so make sure you are using the newest build: 0.8.2
Prison I am not sure about. There are several conditions for the mod to activate, one of them being that the player character must be active. Maybe prison uses a seperate character status. I will check.

Second, if not already implemented, would be nice to add a sort of random temperature variation. What I mean is even if weather condition is stable for days there could be colder winds from north, or hotter winds from south that could lower or increase temperature (just an example), so you could have unusual hotter days in winter or unusual colder days in summer.
I have actually thought this myself. I am just not certain exactly how to do it. But I can think of a few theoretical ways to pull it off. I just have to balance it so it doesn't cause too much hassle for players. Still, I agree that having the temperature be completely static in an area for a season (except for rain/snow) is a little off. The biggest hurdle might be that I will have to figure out how to make the mod check that you have moved to a new area by boat. At the moment it simply checks every second what conditions applies to you.
Added to my planned list.

Lorex

Post by Lorex »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:18 am Prison I am not sure about. There are several conditions for the mod to activate, one of them being that the player character must be active. Maybe prison uses a seperate character status. I will check.
I fear that when you are in the court (and prison) and you hear crickets, for the game you are actually outside at night, and if it's too cold for you, you may not leave the prison alive.
The biggest hurdle might be that I will have to figure out how to make the mod check that you have moved to a new area by boat.
Not sure what you mean, Is it not a simple fast travel? However yes, not too much hassle but still I would implement some rare "extreme" variaton that could lead the player to take refuge in the nearest tavern. But the final choice is yours, this will need a good balance so take your time!

edit: I was indeed using 0.8.1, I'll try new version later.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Lorex wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:50 am Not sure what you mean, Is it not a simple fast travel? However yes, not too much hassle but still I would implement some rare "extreme" variaton that could lead the player to take refuge in the nearest tavern. But the final choice is yours, this will need a good balance so take your time!
The mod as it works currently simply checks every round (ca 1 second) what factors apply to the character. It retains nothing from round to round (except some effects that get increased every round)
So if I implement a function that randomly applies warmth or cold, the effect would either be for 1 second duration or I will have to have som kind of flag function that gets reset when fast traveling. Which sounds doable but is not part of the DFU code I have messed around with before.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Just figured out how to stop characters getting killed by heat/cold during port travel with Tedious Travel. So that will be in the next update. But since I'm now doing another update, I'll take a look at a few of my easier plans while I'm at it.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

I had an idea of interpolating the hot and cold. When the season or weather changes, the temperature shouldn't just jump. It should go on a curve. Not sure how easy that would be, since I haven't seen your code (but would love to).

Also I noticed that there is a Wind zone object in the game. You might be able to tie in the effect of the wind in cooling people and places down by increased heat transfer, modeled simply enough by just adding coolness based on how much wind is hitting the character.

Don't mean to pile on suggestions, this is just such a cool concept and I love it.