Glossy Khajiit Suit in Vanilla Daggerfall?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Aleryn

Glossy Khajiit Suit in Vanilla Daggerfall?

Post by Aleryn »

I recently confirmed there was an alternate Khajiit Suit in Vanilla Daggerfall. Its the same outline as the original one we now use in DFUnity, but it was glossy in texture. For reference sake, the image was taken in the GoG provided version of Daggerfall version 1.07.213. Leftmost is the classic suit, middle is the odd glossy one, and the right is just there to illustrate how they look beside one-another in the inventory.

I was curious why the second glossy suit doesn't seem to be in Daggerfall Unity?

Interkarma

Re: Glossy Khajiit Suit in Vanilla Daggerfall?

Post by Interkarma »

That is a palette glitch, I'm afraid. There's no actual variant like this in the game data. :)

Looks like it's applying a palette rotation to the second item for some reason. Possibly a corrupted material value. Could probably force the same thing to happen in DFU by manually setting silver or elven material for a Khajiit suit in save data.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

So that is why I could never find this oddball suit in the datafiles via your Daggerfall Imaging 2 program! Maybe this alternate suit was intentional as a quick way to add variety, or just a weird bug.

Thank you for the explanation, Interkarma. I think I may go manually add the 'suit' to a save file via your suggestion when I have the time.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I just gave it a shot in DFU and materials/dye have no effect on the Khajiit suit. It doesn't use any of the dye indices that would normally be affected by this. Seems to be another kind of palette change.

Hard to say then why classic manages to do this and why it effects one item and not the other. I'm always interested in this kind of thing. Are you able to post the classic save so we can tinker with it? I'd be interested in the material properties of that glossy suit to see if it's reproducible at all. :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

The obvious answer (that appearently isn't the answer?) is that the idea was to use dyes on it to have khajiit suits appear to be dark versions of different colors (you only see the color in the shining bits)
Maybe they never got it to look ok, so dropped developing it further.

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Happy to help when I can, here is the save file in .zip form.

SAVE3.zip
Vanilla Daggerfall save with both khajiit suits
(305.13 KiB) Downloaded 133 times

Back in the day I had the 'headcanon' that this was the suit variant for non-khajiit. Odd conclusions in a bubble I guess.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

I just wanted to ask: Isn't anyone else mildly annoyed that the Khajiit suit doesn't fit Khajiit properly? Can that be considered a bug?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Jeoshua wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:52 am I just wanted to ask: Isn't anyone else mildly annoyed that the Khajiit suit doesn't fit Khajiit properly? Can that be considered a bug?
You've made common mistake.

It's not a suit made FOR Khajiits.

It's a suit made OF Khajits.

:D

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

Bahahaha, oh its an old joke but still works.

Also, clothing misalignment was fixed years ago by an awesome member of the classic community. Just goto https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files and scroll down to Clothes and Armour Fix. Its a modification to files in the Arena2 directory.

I didn't have it or any mods installed to my fast screenshot build used above. Poor Classic was replaced by DFUnity even by this grognard.