Monster Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Ralzar

Monster Overhaul

Post by Ralzar »

I've got working code for changing the stats of mosters in DFU.
What I can not change:
*Adding new monsters
*Change Human stats

This mod will aim at fixing a couple of things and could potentially be used for more:

* Increase power level of high-level mobs. To make them even more frightening and to make the game still be a challange for high-level characters.

* Rebalance existing monster to eachother for more consistent performance compared to mosters descriptions and in-game models.

* Increase power range of mods. Increase what is the weakest and strongest a monster type can be. For weaker and stronger normal orcs for example. This could problably be levelscaled, but I'm not really interested in levelscaling.

* Possibly rebalance monsters for Jay_Hs Unleveled Mobs mod, so the difficulty of the mobs in a dungeon type are more internally consistent. I think this can be done as an automatic scripting that detects if you have Unleveld Mos active.

* Difficulty setting. A slider that buffs or debuffs monster stats.

The biggest job here is really just looking over all the monster stats and consider what should be changed and rebalanced so it is still internally consistent and does not make the game unplayable.

Here is an excel file of all the monsters and their relevant stats for this mod. I am not completely sure of what "Level" does, but I seem to remember it affecting some calculations for spell resistance and stuff like that.
DFU Monsters.zip
(9.79 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Possible future plans:
Change the look of some existing monsters? For exampe, making werewolves/boars bigger.
Introduce new monster types (more mod access needed, so not at the moment)
With the help of someone with know-how about the model assets of the game, we can make new enemies that are buffed or debuffed versions of existing monsters. Like giant bears or sabertooths. Or Gigantic Rats? More orc variety with some color details to mark the difference.
Last edited by Ralzar on Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seferoth

Re: Monster Overhaul

Post by Seferoth »

Another great mod in the making, good luck with your project. :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Please keep track of any changes you make to attack related stuff. When I finish the player side of my combat overhaul, this was next. I need to add in swing arcs and weapon ranges for enemies, and I planned on working little on the combat AI too. Now, if work and personal life would slow down a little, I could maybe get the last bug smashed and combat overhaul released to everyone.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

At present this is simply adjusting some values of MobileEnemy structs for mobs, things like damage values and health etc.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, this is still in the very early stages and is really (at the moment at least) simply a readjusting of the enemy basic stats. Although the coding is fairly basic, the actual planning is a pretty complicated.
None of this would probably cross over with the stuff you are planning on looking at, except in how difficult the enemies are, which could have unforseen consequences when our two mods meet.

There is also the potential future ability to add new enemies which will require even more balancing, and the question of how it interacts with changes in monster spawning tables and mechanics.

So at the moment I am still at the point of figuring out how best to code this and what is possible for me to do and not.
I will update this thread as things develop though :)

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I plan on looking at it at some point, but do we know how enemies are handled by DFU? Does it have a system like Skyrim, where enemies can be part of a group, so if you add new custom enemies, they can be tied to a base enemy type to help with mod compatibility? Like how bandits all fall under a single group, and their base can be used for "new" enemies modders create. Or, is this before they did that system, and every enemy is individually coded, without any previous DFU definitions/templates/classes for connecting them past race.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

I'll be following this!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

This mod project kind of petered of when I realized the modding capabilites available to me were a bit limited in that I couldn't change humans or add new enemies. But I think I'm going to start working on this again. Combined with Unleveld Mobs and LootRealism it can still make a noticable contribution.

I have updated the OP. Note the excel file included now. This is a excel file of all moddable monsters.

Stuff I am thinking of doing:

*Make rats/bats a bit easier for a slightly softer start in Privateers Hold.

*Buff Werewolf/Wereboar and make them more different. More durability for boars, more armor/damage for wolves?

*Buff Bears and Tigers and make them more different. More durability for bears, more armor/damage for tigers?

*Buff Highest tier mobs like Deadra Lords and Liches.

*Buff Mummies to be closer to Liches in power.

*Buff all Orc types.

*Debuff zombies. Why are they so powerfull?

*Make the Atronachs more diffrent? Their stats are allmost identical?