AI Upscaled Textures

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
MasonFace

Re: AI Upscaled Textures

Post by MasonFace »

Im wondering if NPC flats have been AI Upscaled like this.
Ideally with increased resolution.
Then maybe it would be possible to paint-over them just to touch-up, and paint the faces.
The NPCs have been AI upscaled, but I haven't had time to try to superimpose the upscaled portraits onto the the upscaled NPC bodies, so that project has pretty much stalled. Not sure that the results would be any better and/or more authentic compared to DREAM, so I hadn't considered it a priority.

The source files for the upscales can be found here.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes as MasonFace said, that is already done and Id say the quality is really good. That is for static - non animated NPCs.
Than there are static animated npcs, like a smith or stuff like that. Those could be improved, but its more difficult because its more frames.

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

MasonFace wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:10 pm
Then maybe it would be possible to paint-over them just to touch-up, and paint the faces.
The NPCs have been AI upscaled, but I haven't had time to try to superimpose the upscaled portraits onto the the upscaled NPC bodies, so that project has pretty much stalled. Not sure that the results would be any better and/or more authentic compared to DREAM, so I hadn't considered it a priority.

Thanks, i agree they are nice.
But to super impose the portrait on the body requires touching up, and i find the existing resolution of the body is a little pixelated.
Does that AI program work scaling them up more?
Or is there a general consensus about the 4x resolution?

Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

There's no rigid consensus per se, that's just the resolution I was targeting for the PVE mod. In my early tests, the AI models didn't add much detail at the 8x level over the 4x level so I didn't see the need. Also, bear in mind that the AI upscales can't deal with the alpha channel, so the alpha mask has to be upscaled using another algorithm and recombined afterwords.

The AI upscaling models may handle 8x upscaling better now than they did a year ago, but I don't have time nowadays to do any experiments. Feel free to give it a try. Even xBRZ upscaling from 4x to 8x may look okay for the bodies.

P.S.: I should add, if it's the pixelation of the outline of the NPC bodies that's bothering you, it can be handled with anti-aliasing. KoW was able to smooth out the outlines of all the MOB sprites that we AI upscaled and it made them look much much better in game.

Azteca

Post by Azteca »

The important thing to remember with AI upscaling is increased resolution means the AI will likely try to create more detail, or different detail. There seems to be a sweet spot where it improves what we see in the original art without weird artifacts or inventing things we didn’t see in the original art.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

jman0war wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:38 pm
MasonFace wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks, i agree they are nice.
But to super impose the portrait on the body requires touching up, and i find the existing resolution of the body is a little pixelated.
Does that AI program work scaling them up more?
Or is there a general consensus about the 4x resolution?

Theres something off with your settings mate. Maybe you have retro mode enabled? Or the DREAM mod is not enabled? Those NPCs look much better than that...

Spoilers are not working atm for me..

EDIT: maybe Ive misunderstood your post sorry :)
01.jpg
01.jpg (293.46 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (236.52 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
03.jpg
03.jpg (276.54 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Retro Rending is Off.
I dont have an option for "DREAM".
I only have copied the PNG to the textures/streamingassests folder.

In my example i took one of the flats from the 'source' link, brought it into PS, cropped out the excess black around the figure.
Layered in the NPC Portrait and scaled it down to fit.
The result is that the resolution is too small to paint on.
Not enough pixels.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

jman0war wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:25 am Retro Rending is Off.
I dont have an option for "DREAM".
I only have copied the PNG to the textures/streamingassests folder.

In my example i took one of the flats from the 'source' link, brought it into PS, cropped out the excess black around the figure.
Layered in the NPC Portrait and scaled it down to fit.
The result is that the resolution is too small to paint on.
Not enough pixels.
well yea, you must upscale the originals up to be able to paint on them. I used xbrz 4x two times, so I ended up with 16x the resolution, than scaled to lower resolution so the NPC now have height around 1024 pixels. That gave me personally the best results. Both height and width must be able to be divided by 4 in a way the resulting numbers have no decimals. So 1024 works, 1023 does not. That is needed so the unity compression works on the images properly.

Upon those upscales I placed the faces from the portraits (like u did I think)

And than I basically redrawn it all in like 4 or 5 stages. Adrinus added the shading and some details, sometimes the whole new faces, because those in the portraits section did not fit the body at all or they were too repetitive.

I can send you the images, maybe you want to make em better?

But most of the NPCs are really good nowadays and the artist input would be more visible elswhere IMO.

Merlkir

Post by Merlkir »

Sorry to possibly hijack the wrong topic -

is there a place where I could download MOB sprites? (originals or upscaled, either would work)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Merlkir wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:40 pm Sorry to possibly hijack the wrong topic -

is there a place where I could download MOB sprites? (originals or upscaled, either would work)
U can export them using daggerfall imaging, that prog can be downloaded at the main page (not on forums)

But the exported files dont have a proper naming, not sure if thats a problem for you? What are u up to with it?