Why are people treating me like dirt suddenly?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Seferoth

Why are people treating me like dirt suddenly?

Post by Seferoth »

Like literally over night every single npc in the game treats me like dirt and i cannot even ask from them for news. I did not fail any quest, did not kill anyone, nothing. My character has personality of near 100 and Etiquette and Streetwise over 50. Even people in my factions that i have reputation of 60-70 suddenly are treating me like crap. What happened?

Edit. It's insane how i seem to find issues with every single character i make.
Edit2: Only thing that happened was that month changed and reputations were lowered by 1, but i suppose this is pretty harsh reaction from the game for that if that is the case.
Edit3: Loading the game allows me to pick other topics now, but still no one is telling me any news anymore.

pango

Re: Why are people treating me like dirt suddenly?

Post by pango »

There have been two reports of reputations dropping to -100 all the sudden: I don't know if that's what you experienced, but could be.
And as far as I know there's currently no clue on how it can happen.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Awesome...sigh. There goes another character. Thanks for the reply though.
Edit: Although, the Print_Legalrep says that all reputations are 0, so i am not experiencing that bug...right?
Edit2: Ok, so the reputation bug? was fixed by loading the save, and the news problem is not actually a problem, but news running out? Is that a thing, can news run out if you ask them too many times from NPC's? I have used that method to train my Etiquette.

pango

Post by pango »

Seferoth wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:46 pm Edit: Although, the Print_Legalrep says that all reputations are 0, so i am not experiencing that bug...right?
Legal reputation is not the same thing as reputation with commoners.
I don't think there's an ingame way to list reputation with commoners by region; you can only have a look at FactionsData.txt in the savegame directory.
Seferoth wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:46 pm news running out? Is that a thing, can news run out if you ask them too many times from NPC's? I have used that method to train my Etiquette.
I don't think so, rumors each last for about a month, but as far as I know there should also be some news to display...
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It would be good to get a before and after savefiles, along with a rough recollection of what happened inbetween.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This reminded me to look at the cause of this related bug report. The issue here is that ChangeReputeWith can fire multiple times when coupled with a rearming task. This can result in uncapped reputation gains/losses depending on quest.

From 0.10.14 this action has been fixed to only fire once and not allow rearm.

To recover from issue in the interim, open FactionData.txt and search for any -100 reputations (or search for related guild/faction if not at -100). Edit these back to 0 or higher as desired. Reputation is held in the following field in each faction entry.

Code: Select all

"rep": 0,

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Good to hear that you found the cause for these issues. Thanks for the continued support.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Well i can now surely say that the monthly reputation drop somehow affects regular NPC. Again when reputations dropped by 1 nobody will even tells me any news, everyone simply says "I try not to spread rumors" or "Since i have nothing nice to say..." or "Cant think any". I am quite sure this is something that happens to everyone, but is not easily noticed unless you regularly ask NPC for news. Below is save where no NPC tell me any news anymore.
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(229.1 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

pango

Post by pango »

Somehow the rumorsMill dried out; ConversationData.txt:

"listRumorMill": [],
It's not reputation related (but still an issue).
-- Charles Goodhart

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

pango wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:54 pm Somehow the rumorsMill dried out; ConversationData.txt:

"listRumorMill": [],
It's not reputation related (but still an issue).
But can it be coincidence when it has now happened twice and at precisely at the same time(when reputations go down)?
Edit: Any way to quickly fix this? Can i delete ConversationData and let the game remade it? Would that fix this?