Mod Suggestion: Nerfing Lycanthropy

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

Mod Suggestion: Nerfing Lycanthropy

Post by Ralzar »

Being a vampire is a fun alternative game experience. You get some pretty sweet benefits but some drawback/annoyances with it that makes you have to shift the way you play the game. I have allways felt that being a vampire had a real cost/benefit tradeoff that made it a hard choice to stay vampire.

Lycanthropy on the other hand... ?
Come on, there is basically next to no downsides. Whenever I become a were-creature it allways happens in the early game because that's when the game spams werewolves at you. And it just breaks the game at the same time as not really feeling like playing a werewolf.

Things I like:

The werewolf form and how it works. No real problems here.

Things I dislike:

The absurdly high Attribute bonuses, while human? +40 to Strength, Speed, Agility and Endurance is a LOT. The real problem here is that it works during human form, which is just weird. Ok, you have somewhat improved physical attributes but 40? This also has the effect of making the actual were-form pretty pointless. You are allready a combat-god, why bother changing to were form?

The killing people to avoid maxhealth debuff. It is barely even an anoyance. You just fast-travel to a village, kill one guy, run away (with your +40Speed) and fast travel. Completely pointless.

The full moon forced transformation. Usually it happens while you are fast-traveling so you never even see it happen. If it happens to hit while in a dungeon or city it's slightly problematic, but you can just sleep through it.

Wereboars and werewolves are identical? When they have different images and different sound effects, why are there no stat differences?

Lycantrophy manages to be a completely OP while at the same time lacking RP flavour.

Suggested fixes:

Wereform buffs:
Werewolf: Endurance&Strength +10, Agility&Speed +40
Wereboar: Endurance&Strength +40, Agility&Speed +10
(all other wereform buffs kept as is)

Human buffs:
Werewolf: Agility&Speed +5
Wereboar: Endurance&Strength +5

When you should die, you instead get a 50% heal and turn to were-form.

You cannot leave were-form without killing a commoner or humanoid.

Once a month (full moon) the curse takes you completely over. When night hits, the game skips 8 hours forward and teleports you to a random dungeon/cemetery entrance in the same region. All items are unequipped, a dead body with some random loot is spawned next to you.
(Alternative Hardcore RP version: all items in your inventory are deleted, including wagon and horse.)

That is a werewolf CURSE instead of a werewolf bonus :)

hannafamilycomputer

Re: Mod Suggestion: Nerfing Lycanthropy

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

I think it's weird if you get hit by one lycanthrope and can turn into the other type. Another way to seperate the two:

Werewolf
+ 40 speed and agility
+ 30 hand to hand
+ 20 strength
+ 20 climbing
+ 10 endurance
- 10 intellligence
- 15 personality

Advantages:
Immune to weapons below silver
Perma-magelight^
Disadvantages:
Weakness to disease

Wereboar
+ 40 strength and endurance
+ 35 hand to hand
+ 30 strength
+ 20 agility
+ 15 critical strike
+ 10 speed
-no change to intelligence
- 10 climbing*
- 20 personality

Advantages:
Immune to weapons below silver

Disadvantages:
Weakness to disease

^Wolves active at night, so they should be able to see in dark. I suggest a colored magelight, but short range
*pigs have hooves, not claws

Edit: You are basically invincable on full moons as is. You can just change to a human (which heals you to full), and it'll turn you back (healing to to full). Once you are back, you can turn human again.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm, I did not think about negative attributes. Nice idea!
I generally agree with what you wrote, the more interesting effects they gain, the better.

Frozen_Dervish

Post by Frozen_Dervish »

I don't think it needs a nerf so much as variation and enhancement of the guards and region system as no matter what you do there are no consequences such as bounty hunters, notices put out for a criminal, and city guards/knights/temple/fighters with no weapon that could harm the Werewolf.

If maybe there were a scaling punishment system such as:

Level 1: Guard finds you to level a fine.
Level 2: Guard(s) find you to bring you to court.
Level 3: A warrant is placed within 1 zone away of where the crime(s) were committed making guards come after you.
Level 4: A bounty is placed and bounty hunters with an assortment of stats/gear/equipment come and try and claim your bounty.
Level 5: Knights/Mages start coming after you in the region's surrounding zones. These will have various enchanted equipment/magic to use against you along with enhanced stats made for taking down werewolves.

To settle the crimes you need to sneak into the keep and plead/pay off your bounty in the region you committed the crimes.
Intensity of the levels outside the province you crimed it up in can be lowered as you may only be in the area, but as you kill your pursuers it will start rising in the adjacent provinces and depending on how much killing you do may quickly get out of hand on the map to where no where civilized is safe.

and since werewolf form is essentially a disguise wouldn't really effect normal play when you aren't a wolf.

hannafamilycomputer

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

Another weird thing is if you go to an inn and buy a room while in lycanthrope form, the innkeeper still identifies you by your player race. (Says how many days do you want the room for dark elf when there is a wereboar standing in front of him, counting out coins).

They must have set it up so that lycanthropy isn't a race, it's a disease, so the innkeepers see no difference.

Also, while in were-form, change your transportation to horse. Look! No hands!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

hannafamilycomputer wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:04 am Also, while in were-form, change your transportation to horse. Look! No hands!
Well then, RP addition: Horses fear you. As soon as you turn lycanthrope, you loose your horse. :twisted:

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

So I've started working on this and the results are very promising so far.

Stuff that's working:

Change buffs for Beast-form

Change buffs for Human-form

On the nights before a full moon you will get a warning that a full moon will soon happen.

On full moon: You turn into beast-form, the game skips a day forward and you are turned back into human form.

Not working yet:

Strip out all items and leave them when a full moon happens.

Teleport player to random nearby location during full moon.

Create dead human with loot next to you.

Hircine Ring effects

For the Hircine Ring I am thinking of making it so it works as normal, but on full moons you are forced into beast-form but keep control of the player instead of waking up a day later.

Something I'm also toying with the thought of: Having a mod setting for giving your character lycanthropy at character creation. I honestly feel it might be a better alternative to hunting werewolf and making them hit you :D

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

The vast majority of Dark Brotherhood quests are for vengeance in some way, so the presumption there is that the person isn't innocent -- though the real definition of "innocent" isn't something Daggerfall establishes ;)

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.