[MOD] Orchestral and Acoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Lord_Braathen

Re: [MOD] Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

Post by Lord_Braathen »

Glad to hear it.

This is strange that you are the only one here who says something, maybe it's because i am not an active member of the community, socially speaking, but they don't know what they miss.
Orchestral and Accoustic Remaster of Daggerfall Soundtrack

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Hmm, don't know why others have not commented yet. As i 100% recommend anyone to try this one out. Give it time.

james2k

Post by james2k »

Incredible work.

Leeux

Post by Leeux »

I downloaded the mod but I'm not playing Daggerfall atm, so I just put it in the queue to install for next time I play! :) That's why I didn't say anything, since I haven't experienced the mod in-game yet, but I'm sure it'll be awesome...
I love orchestral renderings of game music in general, and Daggerfall is one of my fav game's OST!
Thanks for doing this!

Lord_Braathen

Post by Lord_Braathen »

Thanks James2k !

Take your time Leeux, no hurry, untill this moment, you can listen to the majority of the tracks on the soundclould page :
https://soundcloud.com/user-807314648-66078874

ByteMixer

Post by ByteMixer »

On the duplicate files, it's my belief that the prefixes designated which midi file was used based on your soundcard at that time. Remember back in those days we had different soundcards with different protocol and methods of sound generation, such as the fm synthesis vs. PCM, PWM or PSG. (MTU-401, MT-32, SC88, Adlib, Soundblaster 16, Gravis Ultrasound, etc. etc. etc.) Some of the midi files e.g. difference between an fm_ and g_ were just a difference in the complexity of the velocity data, but were otherwise identical (except for a few special cases). For my remaster project, I tended to side with the files that had more complex data. So I cut out quite a few duplicates, and it still took me from May to December last year, haha! (I did have to take some hiatuses due to trips and working with my band though) It also seems that DFU prefers certain prefixes over others as I had to rename some g_ files back to fm_ or f_ to get them to play the ogg file versus just using the built-in soundfonts over midi.

BTW, congrats on finishing your remaster. It really is a bitching amount of work for the number of tracks, haha!
"Whatever you do, make good art." - Neil Gaiman

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

After a quick look into Daggerfall classic code, I can confirm it's exactly like ByteMixer said.

Daggerfall selects MIDI files depending on which device you chose for MIDI playback. Soundtracks prefixed with "fm" are used for lower quality devices, i.e. if you select one of these in the MIDI setup panel: Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro, ESS AudioDrive, Sound Blaster 16, Microsoft Sound System or Pro Audio Spectrum 16.

All higher quality devices (MPU 401, Roland Sound Canvas...) use the other soundtracks.

As an example, to select which soundtrack to play in Mages Guild, DF original code looks as follows:

Code: Select all

if ( rand() & 1 )
{
  if ( sound_blaster )
    // If the device is a Sound Blaster or equivalent (except Sound Blaster AWE32)
    play_soundtrack("fm_nite3.hmi");
  else
    // Play this for all higher quality devices
    play_soundtrack("gmage_3.hmi");
}
else if ( sound_blaster )
{
}
else
{
  play_soundtrack("magic_2.hmi");
}
So, if you select a higher quality device, you also have more variety.

Note for developers, you can see from this example that the code could have been simplified to this:

Code: Select all

if ( sound_blaster )
{
}
else
{
  if ( rand() & 1 )
  {
    play_soundtrack("gmage_3.hmi");
  }
  else
  {
    play_soundtrack("magic_2.hmi");
  }
}
Unfortunately, this is quite common in classic code.

MasonFace

Post by MasonFace »

I think you made a typo in your last sentence that undermines your sentiment:
It's not the definitive version, so I make a call to all Daggerfall Players.
Could you please make some feedbacks to help me improving the existent remaster.
I'm eager to make the best soundtrack for Daggerfall and it can be done without you.
I've been listening to your remasters on Soundcloud and I'm impressed. I haven't listened to every track, but I must insist on being critical of my favorite song: Snowing. The french horns sound too muffled; they really need more clarity to provide the punch that the brass contributes to the song. I would recommend cutting down on the reverb a bit on the horns to help bring clarity to those triplet runs, and maybe use some staccato and marcato to bring the punch back.

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a bass violin or cello in this track, but I'm not hearing it (although that could just be my crappy headphones). This is most noticeable at the chord at 1:12. I think it's minor seventh (I could totally be wrong), but it doesn't have the same effect to me without the horns cutting through and having the support from a prominent bass holding the bottom up.

Aside from that, everything sounds great to me. The flute/piccolo, harp, and choir VSTs sound incredible.

Disclaimer: It's been over a decade since I've been involved with music, so both my ear and knowledge are in less than tip-top shape.

Lord_Braathen

Post by Lord_Braathen »

To ByteMixer and Ferital :
Indeed, in the original version FM*.mid tracks were meant to be played for SoundBlaster's cards owners or with a similar soundchip which were less capable than better ones. The problem is that i don't know how it is managed in Dargerfall Unity.
To not take any risk, i put them all in the remaster (FM tracks are just a copy of those with the same name), i had no interest to gamble the fact they won't be played ingame.
MasonFace wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:51 pm I think you made a typo in your last sentence that undermines your sentiment:
It's not the definitive version, so I make a call to all Daggerfall Players.
Could you please make some feedbacks to help me improving the existent remaster.
I'm eager to make the best soundtrack for Daggerfall and it can be done without you.
I've been listening to your remasters on Soundcloud and I'm impressed. I haven't listened to every track, but I must insist on being critical of my favorite song: Snowing. The french horns sound too muffled; they really need more clarity to provide the punch that the brass contributes to the song. I would recommend cutting down on the reverb a bit on the horns to help bring clarity to those triplet runs, and maybe use some staccato and marcato to bring the punch back.

Also, I thought there was supposed to be a bass violin or cello in this track, but I'm not hearing it (although that could just be my crappy headphones). This is most noticeable at the chord at 1:12. I think it's minor seventh (I could totally be wrong), but it doesn't have the same effect to me without the horns cutting through and having the support from a prominent bass holding the bottom up.

Aside from that, everything sounds great to me. The flute/piccolo, harp, and choir VSTs sound incredible.

Disclaimer: It's been over a decade since I've been involved with music, so both my ear and knowledge are in less than tip-top shape.
Thank for noticing the big mistake i made, I changed the sentence in my post :lol:
I'm glad that you like it !
Regarding snowing track, your remarks were heard and in less than 30 minutes, i made some changes that, i think, stick more of what you want and, with no doubt, was meant to be.
Download link (just replace the track in the "Sound" folder : http://www.mediafire.com/file/4noetnlf2 ... g.ogg/file
I don't know why, but i replaced the strings sections by a male and female choir. Certainly because i thought it sounds better at the time, but right now I only can agree with your statements !

Of course, do not hesitate to participate and tell me what you think of this remaster and what can be improved.

I'm already discussing loop issues ingame with someone by E-mails.

This is what he told me (thanks to him, he's a member of this community, i won't reveal his name unless he wants it) ;
Each track will have note after them explaining what I think would "fix" the loop. I'll try keep them brief and readable.

If I mention "measures of silence" or some variation, I don't mean absolute silence. The space can also be used to let instruments carry out their full sound.

Unfortunately, every track needs some level of editing near the start/end to allow it to loop seamlessly. Very sorry ??

song_02 : shorten track to last full measure
song_03 : total volume of end is much higher than start
song_04 : ends with silence, increase to a full measure
song_05 : already fine. maybe longer silence at end?
song_06 : ends with silence, increase to a full measure
song_07 : this one is tricky. I think those last two xylophone-ish rings throw it off, because it mostly loops well already.
song_08 : ends with silence, increase to a full measure
song_09 : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_10 : let the last sound ring reverberate a little longer, then add on some silence
song_11 : let the last sound ring reverberate a little longer, then add on some silence
song_12 : shorten track to last full measure
song_13 : ends with silence, increase to a full measure
song_15 : ends with silence, increase to a full measure. I almost want this one to be double the length as well
song_16 : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_18 : sound of the shore is near its crescendo when the track ends
song_20 : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_21 : ends suddenly. let the last sound ring reverberate a little longer, then add on some silence
song_22 : the wind instrument cuts out dramatically, but not unpleasantly, at the end. almost perfect.
song_23 : the loop is perfect and authentic, but the transition from the intenseof the end to the soft start is jarring
song_25 : ends with silence/reverberation, increase to a full measure
song_28 : nearly perfect
song_29 : ends with tiny bit of silence, remove to last full measure
song_30 : ends a bit too early
song_dungeon : ends with hanging notes. could end with a measure of silence
song_dungeon5 : almost feels like the song should be another measure long
song_dungeon6 : sounds great. Maybe add more silence to the end to let the track settle
song_dungeon7 : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_dungeon8 : ends a little late. shorten to last full measure.
song_dungeon9 : ends in the middle of a measure. could be shorter or longer
song_folk1 : starts with silence and ends without letting note finish entirely. could be shortened to loop without any silence.
song_folk2 : not sure about this one. It's pretty finite in its ending, and it's hard to say how long the silence should be to make the loop sound nicer. This song just doesn't lend itself well to being played over-and-over in the game, but there's unfortunately not much to be done about that without changing the song itself.
song_folk3 : starts with silence. Remove that, and shorten the end to the last full measure
song_gbad : nearly perfect
song_gcurse : ends a bit too early, though might sound better with a measure of silence at the end instead
song_gdngn10 : droning sound is louder at the end of the track than the start
song_gdngn11 : the string instrument cuts out dramatically, but not unpleasantly, at the end. almost perfect.
song_geerie : the plucking instrument slows tempo slightly near the end, making it hard say where a clean loop would be. Maybe add a measure of silence
song_ggood : ends with silence, increase to a full measure
song_gneut : nearly perfect
song_gpalac : tempo slows slightly at end, could use more silent space
song_gruins : track is very noisey at the end, making the contrast to the start pretty dramatic. not sure about this one
song_gshop : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_gsneak2 : ends with silence (and a horn that lingers), remove to last full measure
song_gsunny2 : ends a bit too early. finish out the last incomplete measure
song_magic_2 : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_overcast : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_overlong : could use an extra measure of silence
song_oversnow : ends late with an extra drum beat. remove to last full measure
song_raining : ends late. remove to last full measure
song_sneaking : could use more silence at the end
song_snowing : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_square_2 : ends slightly early and a little choppy
song_sunnyday : can either shorten to the last full measure or add silence
song_swimming : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
song_tavern : ends with silence, remove to last full measure
This is a lot of informations and work to deal with, but it's kind of suggestion and contribution which makes me happy and so enthousiast to have made this remaster !

Thank you !

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Oh, i love the new snowing track! That is quite a bit better actually. Thank you. :)