Tree Models

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
TheLacus

Tree Models

Post by TheLacus »

[QUESTION] Best mesh quality?
tyhender wrote: So, basically, I wanted to contribute to Interkarma's daggerfall project starting with stuff I want to see. So I want to replace terrain flats with actual tree meshes. Daggerfall's world is big and empty, and with some real trees a lot will change.
But very often my enthusiasm ends on design stage =D. Hope this isn't the case. I will ask a lot of questions here to implement the thing, some of them may be pretty dumb :P . I have experience with Unity, game engines and programming in general.

So,here's the question, what is the most optimal model quality i terms of polygons? I first wanted to use this set:
http://tf3dm.com/3d-model/trees-9-53338.html
but seeing that my PC has struggle to render them in real-time with stable 60 FPS even before implementing them in game(and then it would need to render thousands of them) I thought they are 2cool4me :P. Actually, I want to see Daggerfall unity as game that works on pretty bad PCs. So yea, what models should I use? Castoon-ish trees won't work for daggerfall, so should I use something like Morrowind's trees?

Biboran

Re: Tree Models

Post by Biboran »

Maybe tomorrow I try to model something like this, but more classic without plastic-look, but low poly.
But I think not too much people will want it, hd sprites that oe guy now do on forums be more popular, it is shure, there no much people who like early-3d graphics.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

since the discussion arose, how to technically implement 3d trees I want to point your interest to a free asset store solution for unity 5.5+ that looks very interesting (it uses SpeedTree trees):

github project:
https://github.com/AssemblyJohn/Critias-TreeSystem

unity forum thread:
https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/criti ... re.437520/

asset store:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79501

Seems to be very fast and supports lots of trees due to instancing, and built-in lod and billboard support

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

First wip. Need do better texturing stuff and UV. It uses textures from original sprite from TEXTURE.508

It will make your 1996 game look like 1998 game :D So.. anyone need it?

tyhender

Post by tyhender »

Biboran wrote:First wip. Need do better texturing stuff and UV. It uses textures from original sprite from TEXTURE.508

Looks more like 2000 game. 1998s didn't have trees :D

tyhender

Post by tyhender »

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

You can find the id from daggerfall imaging.

Inside the Unity editor, you need to have Resources/Flats/modelId/modelId.prefab, where modelId is Archive_Record of the original sprite textures. The nature archives are at the end of the list.
Last edited by TheLacus on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyhender

Post by tyhender »

TheLacus wrote:You can find the id from daggerfall image.

Inside the Unity editor, you need to have Resources/Flats/modelId/modelId.prefab, where modelId is Archive_Record of the original sprite textures. The nature archives are at the end of the list.
Thanks.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Nystul and charlieg, thank you for your suggestions.
Biboran wrote:First wip. Need do better texturing stuff and UV. It uses textures from original sprite from TEXTURE.508

This is nice, I'd like to see how it looks in game.