Non-Obivious things in DFU (beginner's guide)

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Leeux

Re: Non-Obivious things in DFU (beginner's guide)

Post by Leeux »

You can add to the hidden-things list the shortcut Shift+F10 to hide the HUD for screenies! Thanks to Interkarma for telling me of that key here :)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

It's based on the faction the person belongs to. If you get a quest from a child, then the faction changes will happen to Children. If you take a commoner quest from the Fighters Guild, you'll affect FG reputation. If you take a commoner quest from a merchant, you'll change Merchants reputation.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Jay_H wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:52 pm It's based on the faction the person belongs to. If you get a quest from a child, then the faction changes will happen to Children. If you take a commoner quest from the Fighters Guild, you'll affect FG reputation. If you take a commoner quest from a merchant, you'll change Merchants reputation.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Yes, and they're constantly in flux in DFU. So faction standings can be anything under the sun after enough time :lol:

Dubiousintent

Post by Dubiousintent »

Trying to put my money where my mouth is, I've drafted the OP post with a couple of additions and/or expansions of my own into a UESP wiki article which is currently located in my "sandbox" there at Getting Started Playing 'Daggerfall Unity'. Which means (I believe) that I am the only one who can edit it at the moment, but I consider it still very much in "draft" form. I am soliciting community comments before publishing it into the DFU Wiki proper.

My memory from back in the day with Classic is too foggy to make unilateral decisions as to whether or not something should be listed as "DFU specific", or moved as an edit to the "Classic" pages. As this is very much a community effort, I am asking for opinions and recommendations.

A personal concern is that a "Beginner's Guide" needs to balance "not duplicating material" (which I am in favor of) with "not having to depart the page to a cross link to understand every little thing". Factors behind a suggestion to move something out of, or left in, this document would be appreciated. But I feel the community should ultimately decide.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I consider myself a seasoned veteran of Daggerfall, and I recently learned of a mechanic on this forum that was obvious in hindsight, but a complete surprise to me and probably others:

If you rent a room in a tavern, you "own" that room the same way you do a ship or house.
Which means, you can rent a room for years and drop all your loot there and it will still be there when you return to your room a year later.

This is super handy for making a temporary base in a city where you are doing quests.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Ralzar wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:31 pm I consider myself a seasoned veteran of Daggerfall, and I recently learned of a mechanic on this forum that was obvious in hindsight, but a complete surprise to me and probably others:

If you rent a room in a tavern, you "own" that room the same way you do a ship or house.
Which means, you can rent a room for years and drop all your loot there and it will still be there when you return to your room a year later.

This is super handy for making a temporary base in a city where you are doing quests.
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dubiousintent

Post by Dubiousintent »

I caught that "Rental" tip as well, and it's already in my DFU wiki article under "Merchants". (And I have confirmed that anyone can edit it in the "sandbox", unlike my initial thought, so please comment here instead of on the "Discussion / Talk" page.)

Another beginner topic (but appropriate to Classic) seems to me to be: where to establish a "base of operations". I've collected a list of the "full service" and "only missing one type building" cities for Daggerfall, Illessan, and Wayrest in High Rock Province, and Sentinel in Hammerfell Province, and can already tell that is going to be a lengthy list. (I realize that later on people may use other criteria for choosing a base, but we are talking about beginners just out of the initial dungeon needing wide opportunities to join and buy/sell loot.) I was pulling it from the USEP Places list trying to decide for myself. I just discovered there is a list of Services and another of Item Locations with their "quality", which I think should be added to choosing a beginner's base. This curated list already appears to need it's own page, but it will be quicker than digging out from "Places" and multiple other pages.

Question: is there enough demand to make the "base of operations" effort worthwhile?

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Thank god for the Inn rental thing, allows you to actually "live" in Betony or Isle of Balfiera. I still think that there should be a bank somewhere in Isle of Balfiera, that area is larger than many other regions in the game.