Cracking Open Combat

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
l3lessed

Re: Cracking Open Combat

Post by l3lessed »

Not at all. My writing process is super sloppy on the front end, and most everyday things, I do not double or triple check before sending them. I always am happy to have others point out errors, so I can remember it and try and make the first go around cleaner.

LOL about that 5 * 4 error too. Oh, how sloppy I can be. :lol:
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

(See Stealth mechanics discussion continued/concluded at split topic: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3175)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

FYI I have submitted a PR that makes a few minor tweaks to WeaponManager & FPSWeapon classes - PR #1644. No idea if this will affect your code, but thought it polite to give you a heads up just in case.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Thanks for the heads up.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:48 pm
jayhova wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:22 pm Here is a stupid question: At what point is there a check to see if the PC's language skills pacify the enemy? Is there a pacification check before the MOB actually detects your presence or does it come afterward?
Not dumb at all, it happens as the very last check. After everything else has failed, and before the target decides to go into fight mode and start trying to track down the thing it saw or heard, it will try a pacify check.

Makes realistic sense to me. Say you're sneaking around, not knowing what's in the area, you wouldn't begin shouting or speaking to see what friends are in the area and draw tons of attention to you. Instead, you sneak around gathering information until all of a sudden a enemy wanders in and sees you. At first, he thinks your a threat and would begin tracking and trying to kill you, like any normal creature would do to an apparent threat to its life or hard earned property. However, you start shouting out in orc, "I'm a friend, I know so and so in so and sos tribe, it's all good brother." And, back to normal the person goes, knowing you now.

So, once everything else that could stop the enemy from coming after you fails, it then has you try the pacify skill.

I'll double check this in the code flow, but that is what my mind tells me from memory of the code I read on it.
My suggestion would be for there to be a small tweak to the pacification skill, that it not be triggered until the MOB has Line-of-Sight to the PC. That is to say if the enemy sees the PC, that there be a pacification skill check prior to hostility being triggered. However, if there is no LoS the MOB should go hostile until there is LoS then a check be made. This avoids pacification through walls etc.

watch an example here
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

That's a good idea. And an easy tweak. Just add in the lineofsite boolean check into the if then for the pacify check. Might introduce some unknown bugs though, but worth a shot.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I am assuming that a MOB can go from hostile to pacified. This happens anyway with spells. I'm curious if classic would pacify through walls etc. The answer is likely yes.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.