Bugged quest target in dungeon.

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Seferoth

Re: Bugged quest target in dungeon.

Post by Seferoth »

pango wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:14 am LolzLolzFTW didn't know it was impossible so he did it...
With advanced climbing. I mean you can't jump from walls with classic climbing right? I did this too with advanced climbing.

pango

Post by pango »

Ah, yes, I missed that in your very first message. I assume he's using Advanced Climbing too.

Either way, that was just for fun, it seems natural that the loot should stick to the bridge.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

pango wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:43 amEither way, that was just for fun, it seems natural that the loot should stick to the bridge.
Is there a way to patch the original data to fix things like this? As well as things like walls that don't quite meet and light leaks through etc.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

One way is probably override read data at runtime, like for textures UV fixes; But it requires to identify precisely each faulty data...

For cracks in dungeon geometry it would probably require some tooling to identify and (semi-)automatically near-matches.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I was thinking that a patch to the original game data might be nice. That way the patch will fix these same problems in classic. I guess one of my questions is, Is there a way of finding every instance of this same block and patching it?. The same question would apply to geometry misalignments. Though I'm not sure if classic had these same problems with things like the tops of chains sticking through the floor etc. On a related subject is it possible to prevent objects from clipping through walls and other geometry? You could maybe do it just by rendering anything that passes through a wall invisible. Things like parts of beds, bodies, the tops of light fixtures etc.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

pango

Post by pango »

jayhova wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:09 pm I was thinking that a patch to the original game data might be nice. That way the patch will fix these same problems in classic. I guess one of my questions is, Is there a way of finding every instance of this same block and patching it?. The same question would apply to geometry misalignments.
If you fix a block the fix will visible everywhere the block is referenced.
jayhova wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:09 pm Though I'm not sure if classic had these same problems with things like the tops of chains sticking through the floor etc.
I suspect it does, but the lower resolution makes it harder to notice.
jayhova wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:09 pm On a related subject is it possible to prevent objects from clipping through walls and other geometry? You could maybe do it just by rendering anything that passes through a wall invisible. Things like parts of beds, bodies, the tops of light fixtures etc.
I was thinking about exactly this this afternoon.
It should be theorically possibly by casting rays in the direction of the billboard sides, to check if it goes thru the geometry of something else. It should be okay for vertical geometry like walls. Could be quite expensive though.

The classic engine had its own specific quirks concerning the mix of 3d and billboards, for example enemies disappearing behind left corridor wall, but not right one, levers on walls disappearing depending on viewing angle,... So I guess it uses distance checks (some kind of painter algorithm?) that has its pros and cons.
-- Charles Goodhart

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Why don't we just catalog dungeons that have the disconnected room problem and then insert (hack in) teleporters between the two rooms as a hotfix?

pango

Post by pango »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:27 pm Why don't we just catalog dungeons that have the disconnected room problem and then insert (hack in) teleporters between the two rooms as a hotfix?
You mean this thread?
-- Charles Goodhart