Players having hard time hitting rats

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
pango

Re: Players having hard time hitting rats

Post by pango »

Crouching seems very effective for hitting rats, not exactly sure why...

Maybe, because you get close to them to aim them low, but in fact the capsule is much higher, you actually get too close to (or inside) their capsule?

(but their capsule has to be at least 1.1 high so you can't walk over them)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle »

I tend to score hits on rats much more often if I don't aim down at their sprite but just strike in front of me as if I was fighting a human enemy. I suspect that may also be the reason crouching helps - that way, you can look forward when attacking (effectively hitting the mob's lower body).
Maybe when you're aiming at the rat sprite, you're just whacking away at the ground?
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

pango

Post by pango »

DaveCastle wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:57 am Maybe when you're aiming at the rat sprite, you're just whacking away at the ground?
No, that's the reason why I added some sound when you hit static geometry; and it doesn't happen that often, so that's not the main reason for missing rats.

But if you confirm you get better results by aiming high, it tend to confirm the capsule hypothesis...
And increasing collider size is not the way to go (or if it's done, it shouldn't be a capsule).
-- Charles Goodhart

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I always crouched in both classic and DFU when fighting rats, spiders and scorpions, no idea the effect but it seemed a natural thing to do. Of course in real life I would never bend down/crouch to hit something smaller then me so maybe not so natural.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

I think the big thing is that DFU and Classic just don't use the same attack mechanics. Classic is checking against a plane in front of the camera, DFU uses more modern capsule hit boxes.

pango

Post by pango »

pango wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 am But if you confirm you get better results by aiming high, it tend to confirm the capsule hypothesis...
And increasing collider size is not the way to go (or if it's done, it shouldn't be a capsule).
I've seen more cases on streams, many times being above an enemy (say because of some slope) makes it hard or even impossible to hit (spiders, crouched tigers,...)

I don't know if it would be worth having two colliders on those monsters, one considered for player collisions, another for weapons collisions; Or if preventing from walking on some enemies would be better solved another way...
Or prevent raycast origin to enter enemies colliders in the first place?
I'm not really sure what happens...
Capsule collisions.jpg
Capsule collisions.jpg (87.99 KiB) Viewed 1695 times
Jeoshua wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:22 am I think the big thing is that DFU and Classic just don't use the same attack mechanics. Classic is checking against a plane in front of the camera, DFU uses more modern capsule hit boxes.
Solves issues, but creates new ones... ;)
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

It seems I get some results by excluding player from own weapon hit checks, I hope it's not just a confirmation bias...

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... hit-checks

It's even possible that the -mainCamera.transform.forward * 0.1f could be removed...

(@Interkarma: you seem to have used those 2 different solutions in PlayerActivate and WeaponManager about the same time, so maybe I'm missing something)

PR
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

pango wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:03 am It's even possible that the -mainCamera.transform.forward * 0.1f could be removed...
That's a reasonable change, especially as you're using layer masking for spherecast in your PR. Will take it for a spin and merge.

pango

Post by pango »

Any feedback on this issue with 0.10.18, is it easier to hit rats now?
-- Charles Goodhart