Rant about Steam

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeoshua

Re: Rant about Steam

Post by Jeoshua »

Yes, Steam is kind of crap, but it's convenient crap. Much better than the old way of going to a Gamestop staffed by disaffected high school students who look at you funny when you ask about computer games because they're a console fan for lyfe. They didn't have return policies of note either just trade in, and generally not for PC games.

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle »

I think it's still miles ahead of any of its competitors in terms of user friendliness and convenience (apart from some strange design choices but at least they do seem to keep tweaking stuff people complain about, like the until-recently barely intelligible storefront) except of course GOG, and I strongly doubt that any of the others would provide better customer service in this particular case.

Remember when Steam was nothing more than mandatory inconvenience for the poor schmucks who actually bought Half Life 2 then? That's when it was crap, and in the couple of years that followed.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

DaveCastle wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:22 pm Remember when Steam was nothing more than mandatory inconvenience for the poor schmucks who actually bought Half Life 2 then? That's when it was crap, and in the couple of years that followed.
Well that would be me. Couldn't miss HL2 and was not disapointed with it. I think it was probably the only game I had on steam for quite a while, it was prob orange box that converted me to a Steam user for every game. I mean that remains the biggest value prop in all PC gaming history and gave Valve a shit ton of goodwill from many. Guess this post of mine indicates their goodwill has run out with me now... haha
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle »

I meant no offence. HL2 was a great game, but I'm happy to have bought it years after the fact when the DRM got less intrusive.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain