Simple remake of tavern food?

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
L57

Simple remake of tavern food?

Post by L57 »

It always bothered me that player character couldn't replenish some points of fatigue bar by eating at the tavern, yet he regains health for some reason. You can simply walk around the city, get tired after a few hours of walking... and because of this, you must sleep instead of just having lunch and drinking a little ale in the local tavern. Yes, you can restore fatigue points by magic, but it still looks painfully unimmersive to me.

Is it possible to make a small mod, which at least adds restoration of a small amount of fatigue points (just same amount as health points in vanilla, for the sake of simplicity)? I don't know if it hard-coded or something to change this feature completely, but I guess it should be simple to at least add fatigue restoration while maintaining vanilla health restoration (though I'd prefer removal of health restoration by eating completely).

I know that game has a 'hunger counter' so it would be impossible to replenish full fatigue bar by food, and sleeping remains a necessity, which seems adequate and appropriate. I'd be grateful if somebody could make this :)

hannafamilycomputer

Re: Simple remake of tavern food?

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

How about...
-Your Max fatigue decrease by 1 everyday you go hungry. (If max drops below 10, you die)
-Resting brings it up to your max (no change)
-eating food will restore your damaged fatigue stat.

Thats way, both resting and eating affect fatigue, but in different ways, so both are required. It wouldn't be the most realistic, but it would be a simple system.

L57

Post by L57 »

If it is easier to do this way, sounds satisfactory as well. :)

Also it's important to take into account fasttravel mode - if you stay in taverns during trips, you shouldn't starve. Otherwise you have a chance to be a bit hungry (game implies that you're hunting in wilderness, so it can be tied to Luck or something like that).

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I totally agree with the OP. It's become particularly noticable for me with Climates&Cloaks+TediousTravel. I can't visit an inn along my travels, eat a meal to recouperate and then continue my travels.

One way to do this is to have the "time since eaten" counter be a fatigue regen buff. So when not eating at an inn, the game works as normal, but when you have recently eaten you regenerate fatigue, which would offset your fatigue use during travel. This way you wouldn't need to even think about fast travel and it wouldn't just cause you "hunger penalties" when in a dungeon. The game obviously implies that you bring food/water and eat it while food at inns is something special.

Of course, what I REALLY want, is a proper needs mod. But for that you need food items that you can bring with you. And if not done right, that kind of mod can get pretty annoying.

Edit: I'll see if I can't spare some time to see if this is something that can be easily cobbled together.

L57

Post by L57 »

Of course, what I REALLY want, is a proper needs mod. But for that you need food items that you can bring with you. And if not done right, that kind of mod can get pretty annoying.
Yes! Proper (and customisable) needs mod would be cool. I remember how awesome iNeeds worked in Skyrim, I hope someday similarly elegant mod will be in Daggerfall too.

But, the best thing to do is to make this step by step :) It'd be better to begin with making proper use of in-game hunger counter - the way as if it always existed in classic. It's obvious to me that devs simply had no time to develop this feature.
One way to do this is to have the "time since eaten" counter be a fatigue regen buff. So when not eating at an inn, the game works as normal, but when you have recently eaten you regenerate fatigue, which would offset your fatigue use during travel.
Nice and elegant, so far this is the best offer, in my opinion.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ask and ye shall recieve.

Well, as long as I can figure out how to code it, that is :D

Filling Food