Non-Obivious things in DFU (beginner's guide)

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
hannafamilycomputer

Re: Non-Obivious things in DFU (beginner's guide)

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

Never knew that. I normally run around in dungeons, so I just walked normally with weapon sheathed to 'sneak'. I knew crouching wasn't sneaking in df however.

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle »

My experiments are by no means empirical but I think you can increase your chances if you sneak AND move crouched. Point is, this way you're slow as molasses. You don't actually need to sheathe your weapon though.

Another point:
- A lot of quests don't give you the exact location. Ask wandering npc's for the location's name or person you are looking for.
Some elaboration may be useful here:
Be polite with nobles and otherwise haughty NPCs, blunt with peasants; this will increase your respective social skills. If your personality is average or better, you may not wish to bother, just use Normal dialogue. If you don't mind breaking immersion for yourself a bit, as soon as you find an NPC who is even remotely helpful (so they say something along the lines of "the place is looking for is o'er there, northward"), you can spam the same question until they mark it on your map.
Another, somewhat related bit of trivia: if you manage to break the game's dialogue system - I think this mostly happens if you ask for information on stuff that ended up being cut from the shipped game like Twin Lanterns but may occur randomly - do not panic; save, quit and restart the game and it will be fine.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

hannafamilycomputer

I added more about sneaking and npcs to the op.

DaveCastle

Post by DaveCastle »

- If you fail a lockpicking attempt, you can whack the door with your sword to break the lock
While technically correct, I'd recommend switching to hand-to-hand to do so because that doesn't impair your weapon. Also, doors that are magically locked cannot be broken down this way.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
- Mark Twain

L57

Post by L57 »

Does your chance to open the door with weapon or fists depend on charachter's strength? In general, are there any modifiers that affect it?

hannafamilycomputer

Nope for weapons. Im pretty sure strength dosen't do anything as well.

@Davecastle
I'm trying not to list things that are imo exploits or oversights. Like, on full moons you can spam changing between lycanthrope and human forms to repeatively heal yourself. It's a tip, but mostly exploiting game mechanics.

I will add the part about not being able to break down magically locked doors.

L57

Post by L57 »

How do I remove an arrow from a loaded bow without shooting with 'draw and release' option on?

hannafamilycomputer

There was no draw and release option in classic, so I'm guessing you can't. Might as well hold it till you find another mob to shoot, that way it isn't wasted.

L57

Post by L57 »

Probably it would be reasonable to add this feature, similar to 'Abort spell' function? With RoleplayRealism it matters (if you overdraw the bow, you'll shot weakly), and it simply makes sense to be able to remove an arrow.

pango

Post by pango »

L57 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:30 pm How do I remove an arrow from a loaded bow without shooting with 'draw and release' option on?
The way I do it (I'm not sure it's intentional behavior, but it works), is to press the other mouse button, then release of main one first.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart