KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Elricwulf

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by Elricwulf »

pango wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 pm We mentioned 3 workarounds before, you could have saved you trouble by just reading.
We also just described how the problem is already fixed in the next release.
Yes, and I explained why I didn't feel like the Dungeon doors were worth having to console exit every dungeon. Yes I can Recall, though my current char is not a heavy magic type.. slowly leveling (now I can escape dungeons). Anyway, yes, figured out the temporary fix last night so no worries.

My post was mainly to point out, the inconvenience of having a known and replicatable problem with the mod which pretty game breaking but which is not documented on the label; I had to google search and read forums to find out what was causing the issue. It would have been an easy patch or hotfix, just by providing the textures.dfmod from the old pack (instead of having to DL the entire 2.1 gb bundle) but as I said, I have no problems now, but *others may run into the same issue and not even realize it's caused by the DREAM mod pack*. If I didn't care about trying to provide feedback that may help others with the same issue, etc. I would have just made an educated guess, figured it out and went on my merry way without bothering to visit the forums, but take it as you will. Glad it will be fixed in the next release.
Last edited by Elricwulf on Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

I read it the first time around.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

It may be a bit too early to make a debriefing of how the issue was handled, but looking at history in the forums, I think the root issue is that DREAM mod is so large, and takes so much time and effort to re-release, that hotfixing has been postponed.

I don't believe release notes would have cut it, most players don't read install instructions, much less release notes. Recalling 2020R1 would have been another option, but I understand it's not an easy choice; It could also not have been the most effective, for the same reason: people that downloaded 2020R1 already would have seen no reason to downgrade just because the files were no longer available for download.

Maybe we'll have to think about ways to streamline releasing large mods (@Kow, I don't know how exactly you manage releasing for 3 OSes with slightly different file sets, and how inconvenient it is to upload 6GB+ to Nexus), and/or ways to release hotfixes that don't require to recompile and reupload the whole thing each time...
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Pango, releasing this kind of mod with 12 parts for 3 OS, with presets for other mods, icon pack and reshade is not easy and takes a lot of time and focus. And yes, OS variants are not 100% the same to make it more complicated. Add 300kb upload. And u will understand why I dont even bother reading those recent long posts of ppl Ive hardly ever seen before :)

Dude has a issue downloading 2gb of previous version, which is still available on nexus, and wants me to re release whole mod instead, so its more convenient for him. These kind of ppl... :D their only pardon is that they dont have a slightest clue. Still they have the guts to whine about cockiness of content producers.

Edit: to that person - if solving the issue was as easy as you imagine - releasing a hot fix with the old textures of the dungeon exit doors - I would do that. But its not. Not at all.
Last edited by King of Worms on Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:07 am releasing this kind of mod with 12 parts for 3 OS, with presets for other mods, icon pack and reshade is not easy and takes a lot of time and focus. And yes, OS variants are not 100% the same to make it more complicated.
I forgot about that reshade stuff. But I hope modules compilation, at least, can be scripted...
The compilation of DFU itself can be triggered from command line, being old fashioned I use that extensively, but I don't know about modules
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Would be really cool to be able to script the creation of modules :) Its also a heavy strain on the pc. When I select for example all the parts of paperdoll, to add them to mod manager, it changes to like 1 frame in 15 seconds. So even hitting the "build" button is hard. U need to press a mouse for 5 seconds, pray, in another 10 seconds it registers... and in next minute it starts to do something :)

The 1st petson weapons are split into 2 parts because if I put it all together, I get file corruption inside the DFMOD.

Im at the edge of what mod builder can do. And better HW did nothing about it, which is strange. It shortened some specific perts of mod compilation, but the rest of issues stayed.

Having it modular like I do, and quite optimized is the only solution. Plus the prayers ,)

If I wanted to create just a DREAM.dfmod - theres no chance...

Edit: on the other hand it WORKS and what I have here is a complete remaster Id say. So this seems to be the max anyone would need in a near future. Im still quite fascinated about it :)

The exported unity package of 2020r1 has 12gb... and thr whole project including evwrything is 100gb. And 10s of thousands of files, more likely low 100s of thousands.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Geez. And to think I'm getting all worried about my map I'm working on being 70 or so MB.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This is without backups and some garbage files :)
There are lots of meta files created by Unity. Id say 100k of them... they are very small tho, around 10-50mb in total.
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg (316.11 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

star46

Post by star46 »

First of all, a very, veryyy humungous thank you to all the modders that pulled together this mind-blowing piece of work.

Daggerfall is a huge and intimate part of my gaming childhood because it was the first PC game my dad ever bought for me and I got to experience it on our ancient Pentium II-MMX. To know that there is a community of like-minded fans who can still breathe so much life into this game is beyond my ability to express.

Also, having said that, I have a bit of a rather selfish inquiry that I'd hope to ask. I am ashamed to admit that I am a rather *timid* dungeon-crawler in general, although that mostly applies to old games because of the raw, unfiltered immersion.

Is there a way for me to adjust the pitch-black darkness experienced in dungeons, without the torch lighting turned on? Appreciate the feedback and many thanks in advance \o/

L57

Post by L57 »

star46 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:40 pm First of all, a very, veryyy humungous thank you to all the modders that pulled together this mind-blowing piece of work.

Daggerfall is a huge and intimate part of my gaming childhood because it was the first PC game my dad ever bought for me and I got to experience it on our ancient Pentium II-MMX. To know that there is a community of like-minded fans who can still breathe so much life into this game is beyond my ability to express.

Also, having said that, I have a bit of a rather selfish inquiry that I'd hope to ask. I am ashamed to admit that I am a rather *timid* dungeon-crawler in general, although that mostly applies to old games because of the raw, unfiltered immersion.

Is there a way for me to adjust the pitch-black darkness experienced in dungeons, without the torch lighting turned on? Appreciate the feedback and many thanks in advance \o/
You can turn off default lightning in DFU Launcher settings. But you will have usable torches and other sources of light in the game.