[MOD] Climates & Calories

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD]Climates & Cloaks

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:44 pm I wonder how much micro-management does C&C require? I like this idea a lot, but I hesitate if it's too much on survival side for my taste. :?:
I would like to think it would fit you well, because I mostly hate survival games :D
The mod is intended to not need much micro-management. This is a lot of the reason for a "grace zone" I have in the middle of the temperature range. So you have some room for choice. If you are comfertably temperate, you can probably change some clothes while still staying comfertable.
And the debuffs are honestly almost unnoticable until the temperature gets extreme. The way you mostly notice if you are a bit too cold or warm is that your fatigue during Tedious Travel gets reduced a bit faster, so you'll have to be more diligent in finding taverns to sleep in. Personally I often have to pause at an inn to sleep for an hour or two in the middle of the day before continuingh the journey if it's too hot or cold.
The big trick is to accept that sometimes it's just too hot or cold for you and you can't "solve" the problem. If you''re in the desert sun you're probably going to be too hot. Period. You just have to plan for shorter trips or only travel by night.

I have been thinking for some time that the mod might have more fluctuating temperatures but have avoided implementing it to specifically avoid having to micro-manage clothing during the day. If you go outside and it's too hot, that's what it is until the weather changes or night falls. Dress accordingly and get on with the game.

If you haven't downloaded my mod, there is a pdf-manual included in the zip-file now that gives some handy helpers without giving exact numbers.
Last edited by Ralzar on Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L57

Post by L57 »

Sounds great, thanks! I enjoy your idea behind unsolvable cases too. It perfectly OK that player sometimes have simply extra bad and uncomfortable conditions to deal with. :)

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar, could you clarify do these effects overlap? If it's 'hot', does it mean that you also still countinue to suffer continuous fatigue damage from 'warm' status? Or 'hot' effects cancel 'warm' effects?

PS I understood from the Argonian description that they overlap :)
Last edited by L57 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

They overlap.

But notice that the attribute debuffs have a roof of debuffing each attribute to 5.

Can’t remember at the moment if fatigue damage has a roof. Have to check the code.

Edit: the fatigue damage has no roof, but it increases very slowly as the temperature gets more extreme.

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:10 pm They overlap.

But notice that the attribute debuffs have a roof of debuffing each attribute to 5.

Can’t remember at the moment if fatigue damage has a roof. Have to check the code.

Edit: the fatigue damage has no roof, but it increases very slowly as the temperature gets more extreme.
I have tested a bit your mod, it works wonderful so far, thank you! Suits my playstyle really well and all mechanics look balanced exactly the way I wish.

On a sidenote, at first I expected that plate armor would be as easily heating, as getting cold :) because high thermal conductivity works in both directions. If assume plate armor is just a piece of metal, it could be an interesting decision — kind of a more restrictive trade-off in exchange for higher armor rating (besides additional weight).

But on a second thought, armor like this must have additional gasket adjacent to the body, so I guess it's ok.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:34 pm On a sidenote, at first I expected that plate armor would be as easily heating, as getting cold :) because high thermal conductivity works in both directions. If assume plate armor is just a piece of metal, it could be an interesting decision — kind of a more restrictive trade-off in exchange for higher armor rating (besides additional weight).

But on a second thought, armor like this must have additional gasket adjacent to the body, so I guess it's ok.
Yeah, the cooling was actually just thrown in as an afterthought in the latest build. The thought was allways that armor was stuffy but not actually warming and then had the added drawback of heating up in the sun.
The drawback in cold weather should hve been that it's not very warming, but with how the inventory works that isn't really represented. It would be great if you had to wear a gambeson(?) beneath plate armor. So you would be unable to wear temperature-appropriate clothes.
So instead of trying to find some imperfect way of simulating this stuff I just went for a bit of a cold penalty. I think I just like making drawbacks for plate armor because I feel it's too dominating in the game, having no drawbacks.
Last edited by Ralzar on Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dubiousintent

Post by Dubiousintent »

A "gambeson", you say? The game currently accepts and displays a shirt/vest under armor. Why not just name one that, which your mod would then use to mitigate effects (pro and con versus temperature appropriate clothing)?

L57

Post by L57 »

Dubiousintent wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:32 am A "gambeson", you say? The game currently accepts and displays a shirt/vest under armor. Why not just name one that, which your mod would then use to mitigate effects (pro and con versus temperature appropriate clothing)?
Not sure if I understood you, but isn't it already the way how it works? You can remove some clothes under your armor to make it not so hot.
I think I just like making drawbacks for plate armor because I feel it's to dominating in the game, having no drawbacks.
I agree on this. C&C and RoleplayRealism finally counterbalanced this in a sensible way.

Jeoshua

Post by Jeoshua »

Yes, there is interesting, there is realistic, and then there is interestingly realistic. RR + CC hits the last point. Adding Ironman Game Systems used to push that further into punishingly realistic, but it's not updated.

I think the only thing missing from a plate armor rebalance would be making clothing and armor "weigh less" when worn, to simulate not having it shoved in your pack, and/or being able to hold other things in pockets and pouches.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

I like the idea of this mod, I really do, but the reality is it's constantly fighting against me. Always too hot or the cold is slowing me down.

Look at this, I'm rugged up the best I can possibly be (there's plate armor everywhere under those robes), and I'm STILL losing warmth.

Is it supposed to be this difficult to find balance? The only guidance we have in game is a description of the weather. No numbers to crunch.