Splat Terrain Texturing

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
TheLacus

Re: [TEST] High Resolution Terrain Textures

Post by TheLacus »

As I said I used layer masks to make transitions (ie grass to stones) for both color maps and normal maps. There is no special trick, you need to make sure that everything tiles correctly. Unfortunately often all this work is invalidated by bad positioning in game...

Anyway, I finished uploading .dfmod builds for all OSes. They can be found here.

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Well, damn... Now I'm spoiled. The water looks so good that I want it to be animated now...

Beautiful work!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

TheLacus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm As I said I used layer masks to make transitions (ie grass to stones) for both color maps and normal maps. There is no special trick, you need to make sure that everything tiles correctly. Unfortunately often all this work is invalidated by bad positioning in game...

Anyway, I finished uploading .dfmod builds for all OSes. They can be found here.

Well my base textures tile perfectly. When I make normal maps from them, its a mess. Because they all have different strength apparently.

When you make a normal map from grass, and than u use the same settings for a tile with grass and stones, the grass will have different strength on this tile than on a "grass only" tile. Also, the normal maps on the terrain never worked resulting in very harsh terrain at the distance.

I doubt anyone can recreate it according to that explanation..

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:40 pm
TheLacus wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:17 pm As I said I used layer masks to make transitions (ie grass to stones) for both color maps and normal maps. There is no special trick, you need to make sure that everything tiles correctly. Unfortunately often all this work is invalidated by bad positioning in game...

Well my base textures tile perfectly. When I make normal maps from them, its a mess. Because they all have different strength apparently.

When you make a normal map from grass, and than u use the same settings for a tile with grass and stones, the grass will have different strength on this tile than on a "grass only" tile. Also, the normal maps on the terrain never worked resulting in very harsh terrain at the distance.

I doubt anyone can recreate it according to that explanation..
This is exactly what is was trying to explain to you. I didn't make color maps with masking and then run a tool on them. I made BOTH color and normal maps with masking.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hmm now I can imagine how to do it.. thats painful :)
Nice results and idea indeed. Thank you. I pray u make all terrain types :)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Holy freaking (cuss word), holy freaking (cuss word)...
Awe this is gonna be sweet !
Check out my YouTube Channel!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:58 pm Hmm now I can imagine how to do it.. thats painful :)
Nice results and idea indeed. Thank you. I pray u make all terrain types :)
Yes, i had to make masks for the main textures so i it wasn't an issue to re-use them for normal maps. Making them for already existing textures is doable but is something i would be less enthusiast to do...

TheLacus

Re: High Resolution Terrain Textures

Post by TheLacus »

Released version 0.2.0 with textures for swamp terrain.

EDIT removed old downloads

dani26795

Post by dani26795 »

Oh this is totally something that my potato laptop would explode for :)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

TheLacus wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:26 pm Released version 0.2.0 with textures for swamp terrain.

Screenshot (171).png

Nexus Downloads
Bam !
Check out my YouTube Channel!