[MOD] Wilderness NPCs

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
pango

Re: [MOD] Wilderness NPCs

Post by pango »

If you want spawns to look random and unrelated to one another, correct model would be Poisson process I believe:

Code: Select all

+            // Poisson process https://preshing.com/20111007/how-to-generate-random-timings-for-a-poisson-process/
+            float rateParameter = (MinWaitTime + MaxWaitTime - 1) / 2f;
+            waitTime = -Mathf.Log(Random.Range(0f, 1f)) * rateParameter;
+            // apply bounds
+            waitTime = Mathf.Max(MinWaitTime, Mathf.Min(MaxWaitTime, waitTime));
Not sure if it'll make a big difference, but that can be experimented with.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

L57

Post by L57 »

This mod has one minor issue: it spawns enemies afloat in the ocean.

I think script simply should be stopped completely if PC is swimming.

L57

Post by L57 »

Ralzar wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:08 am but with wilderness allready having a random monster spawn table
I thought these tables only work while camping. Can you actually meet in vanilla DF/DFU any creature from this spawn tables simply while travelling in the wilderness (without fasttrevel)? Just want to clarify, can't remember at all

pango

Post by pango »

L57 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:36 pm Can you actually meet in vanilla DF/DFU any creature from this spawn tables simply while travelling in the wilderness (without fasttrevel)? Just want to clarify, can't remember at all
From what I remember, yes you can. That's actually how you can encounter enemies with Tedious Travel, even without mods like Warm Ashes.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

L57

Post by L57 »

Indeed, just found it without mods. I wonder why I thought otherwise for years

communityus

Post by communityus »

Xorberax wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:07 pm Wilderness NPCs
Spawns friendly and enemy NPCs in the wilderness.

Media:
https://gfycat.com/distinctheftygeese

https://gfycat.com/dazzlingaridarizonaalligatorlizard

Download: Nexus Mods

Installation:
1. Open the "WildernessNPCs.zip" archive
2. Open the respective operating system build folder
3. Extract "wildernessnpcs.dfmod" to your "DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Mods" folder

I made this mod because I thought that the wilderness, though vast, was devoid of life.
Hi Xorberax. I wanted to play with your code a bit and possibly update it. Do you mind if I learn from your code by exporting it to text? Great work btw.

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

L57 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:04 am This mod has one minor issue: it spawns enemies afloat in the ocean.

I think script simply should be stopped completely if PC is swimming.
That's a problem with the spawn code in general, not the mod. If it isn't flying, it shouldn't spawn on water or pursue you over water. Maybe the thread I made on it got closed because it had other bugs in it that got fixed.

L57

Post by L57 »

BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:01 pm That's a problem with the spawn code in general, not the mod. If it isn't flying, it shouldn't spawn on water or pursue you over water. Maybe the thread I made on it got closed because it had other bugs in it that got fixed.
Classic Daggerfall had this spawning-over-water problem, but DFU managed to get rid of it AFAIK.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

L57 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:07 pm
BansheeXYZ wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:01 pm That's a problem with the spawn code in general, not the mod. If it isn't flying, it shouldn't spawn on water or pursue you over water. Maybe the thread I made on it got closed because it had other bugs in it that got fixed.
Classic Daggerfall had this spawning-over-water problem, but DFU managed to get rid of it AFAIK.
I've had city guards Jesus over water and arrest me when I tried to swim away from them. So I don't think so.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Hi! This mod has the Mod Manager Download button enabled on Nexus, but it actually doesn't support it. Please check Release Mods for details.