DFRemake

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
L57

DFRemake

Post by L57 »

Anybody aware of this project? https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:DFRemake

Dare say it died long ago though

Some of these changes look extremely good and relevant: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:DFR ... ay_Changes

Would be cool to have such kind of fix-pack for DFU, although some features were already implemented.

Jay_H

Re: DFRemake

Post by Jay_H »

2005, predating even DaggerXL. I haven't seen this before, as far as I know. To be honest, a lot of the changes there are personal preference and would've begged for user-side customization, but others are very good fodder for DFU mods at this point.

L57

Post by L57 »

I absolutely like ideas regarding atronachs and spriggans. In my opinion, DFU should implement features in accordance with DF manual, as a setting option of course. I'd add Critical strike fix in the list.

It has also quite interesting 'Law and order' suggestions, but I'd say these must be offered as mods.

pango

Post by pango »

Project homepage http://dfworkshop.net ? It must be defunct by now :D
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

L57

Post by L57 »

Yes, noticed it too :lol:

pango

Post by pango »

It seems the history of Daggerfall remakes is like a Daggerfall dungeon: when you think you discovered it all, you open one door and find the other half of the dungeon...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I wasn't exactly involved with this one, but it's likely I helped launch it. Way back in around 2003, I built a DarkBasic extension DLL to read Arena2 file data. This was sort of a precursor of my C# DaggerfallConnect, but still using the same C++ code as Daggerfall Explorer and Cartographer. I did this for a community member I recall named himself DarkMouse. That the project is using DarkBasic and links back to dfworkshop.net seems to indicate this remake effort set sail from my DarkBasic DLL.

Just as an aside, my earlier work helped bootstrap DaggerXL. While Lucius used mostly his own work, he certainly benefited from having my tools and research to start from. There were small parts of DaggerXL that used code directly from my older tools (such as climate texture swaps). That's OK of course, I made those tools open source for others to use as they wished. It would have been nice to be attributed though.

I even had a shot at making something like Daggerfall Unity in around 2005/6 called The Daggerfall Project. Ultimately The double whammy of developing an engine on top of a game without much help in a mostly pre social media, pre GitHub landscape proved too much for me. I definitely didn't have the experience then to carry a project this size and didn't understand how much work it would be. We often fail several times before we succeed.

It's funny, the idea of remaking Daggerfall was already in the air before I arrived on the scene, but I dare say that I helped solidify and normalise it. My 2001 tools were the first time we could explore the world in fully textured 3D outside of the game itself. A remake seemed within arm's reach after that, and almost every remake seems to link back to me in some way. I'm kind of the Rome of Daggerfall remakes, a rather odd life achievement to be sure. :lol:

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Players are simply not allowed to loiter in a city rather than having guards set after them for it.
This has to be a typo, right? I think it means "rest".

Also, the project homepage link to DarkBasic remake on the overview page links to dfworkshop.net?

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Apologies for the bump, but this thread made me poke around and I found a project called Dungeon Hack (seemingly unrelated to the D&D first-person roguelike for DOS), which is clearly inspired by Daggerfall. It seems to have been abandoned long ago though.

Have there been any other projects? I'm interested in all sorts of fan remakes of old games.

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I know a little about Dungeon Hack as I tried to get involved in its development back in the days, but didn't get far with the code. It was a very long time ago though (well, like most things surrounding Daggerfall, even if this project was only inspired by it). DH was using OGRE as its main engine and was quite ambitious regarding its planned features. Its main developer was someone called Interrupt (real name Chad Cuddigan). After that he worked on other games, the most noticeable one being a retro-looking dungeon crawler which he finally released on Steam in 2018, called Delver: