0.10.4: Magic item degrading [RESOLVED 0.10.24]

mikeprichard

Re: 0.10.4: Magic item degrading

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks all (and yeah, sorry to hear about your troubles, Leeux!). If anyone can do some more testing in classic and answer the two below questions, which should round off what I need for the wiki (and I assume what DFU will need to replicate from classic behavior here), I'd appreciate it. No rush, but it will be good to eventually get this nailed down.

1) Are "when held"/"when strikes"/"when used" enchanted items made through the Mage's Guild/Temple of Julianos item maker service subject to the same durability degradation rules as similar enchanted items found in loot/as quest rewards/at magic item merchants with the same enchantments?

2) Do "when used" or "when strikes" enchanted items made through the item maker service with more than one enchantment degrade at a rate of (10 points x number of enchantments) per use/strike, or only at 10 points total per use/strike?

Piecia

Post by Piecia »

I am the guy from discord that pointed that bug out few months back and I am totally shocked by the amount of responses in this thread. What an awesome community!
I would like to know if there are any plans to fix it during next releases? It is kind of a game breaking bug seeing how easily you can max out every stat just by using magical items that won't degrade.
Regardless of response I'd like to thank everyone involved in this project. Keep up the good work lads!

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

I opened a PR for this. So far I just have it decreasing over time and not on equip since we don't know how much to decrease for that yet.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This is wonderful to see, thank you for your help Numidium. I will review that merge as soon as possible. :)

pango

Post by pango »

This is now partially fixed by 0.10.19
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:43 am Thanks all (and yeah, sorry to hear about your troubles, Leeux!). If anyone can do some more testing in classic and answer the two below questions, which should round off what I need for the wiki (and I assume what DFU will need to replicate from classic behavior here), I'd appreciate it. No rush, but it will be good to eventually get this nailed down.

1) Are "when held"/"when strikes"/"when used" enchanted items made through the Mage's Guild/Temple of Julianos item maker service subject to the same durability degradation rules as similar enchanted items found in loot/as quest rewards/at magic item merchants with the same enchantments?

2) Do "when used" or "when strikes" enchanted items made through the item maker service with more than one enchantment degrade at a rate of (10 points x number of enchantments) per use/strike, or only at 10 points total per use/strike?
Re: 1), I believe I'm making progress in testing classic - see viewtopic.php?f=22&p=42134#p42134 and the earlier posts in that topic. Further assistance confirming my educated guesses and filling the info gaps in that post through classic testing will be welcome.

Re: 2), I created in classic a Leather Left Pauldron (thought to have a starting health of 2048 per the above-linked topic) with a Resist Cold "cast when used" enchantment, and another Leather Left Pauldron with both a Resist Cold and a Resist Fire "cast when used" enchantment. The first degraded from "New" condition to being completely destroyed after 103 uses, which would indicate a 20-point loss with each use, while the second only degraded from "New" condition to being completely destroyed after 205 uses, which would indicate a 10-point loss with each use. Therefore, it appears "when used" or "when strikes" (which I didn't test due to that being significantly more complicated) enchanted items made through the item maker service with more than one enchantment do in fact degrade at a rate of (10 points x number of enchantments) per use/strike.

Finally, it is yet unknown/untested in classic how many health points a "cast when held" item will lose upon each equip, as well as how many health points an item with more than one "cast when held" enchantment will lose compared to an item with only one such enchantment a) upon equip, b) after waiting/resting for 7 in-game hours, and c) after remaining awake in the game world for 4 in-game mintues (see current information at http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Magi ... ical_Items based on testing by pango earlier in this bug topic at viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2584&start=40#p34675).
Last edited by mikeprichard on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

If you want, I can probably make a simple mod that would make your testing a bit easier/more accurate. Basically just show you the currently durability of the item after casting a spell or something like that.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Magicono43 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 am If you want, I can probably make a simple mod that would make your testing a bit easier/more accurate. Basically just show you the currently durability of the item after casting a spell or something like that.
A way to see real-time in-game the durability of items would be pretty cool in general. That said, this testing needs to focus on classic Daggerfall rather than DFU to ensure a) the UESP wiki info is correct, and b) DFU accurately replicates classic Daggerfall except where divergence is intentional.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ah, my mistake, did not realize you were testing in classic, that's likely more productive in this context, lol.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

No problem - I appreciate the offer all the same.