Appropriate Starting Equipment

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
DigitalMonk

Re: Appropriate Starting Equipment

Post by DigitalMonk »

DigitalMonk wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 pm (I'm still not sure how you got from the ocean to Privateer's Hold -- it seems like that dungeon oughta be on a coast -- but whatever)
I... am an idiot some days...

I was going by my not entirely trustworthy memory (which, for whatever reason just seems to have forgotten about that inlet on the map) and the fact that there are hills all around when you step out of PH. But, obviously (to everyone except me, I guess) PH is "on the coast" as much as the game scale allows.

:oops: :roll:

Now I need to take a jog North from PH just to fix the coastline in my head...

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

DigitalMonk wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 pm

I... am an idiot some days...

I was going by my not entirely trustworthy memory (which, for whatever reason just seems to have forgotten about that inlet on the map) and the fact that there are hills all around when you step out of PH. But, obviously (to everyone except me, I guess) PH is "on the coast" as much as the game scale allows.
Also: you are washed ashore, crawl into a cave and it collapses. The collapsed cave entrance was probably by the shore, not the dungeon entrance ;)

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

Yep... I knew that the exit wouldn't have any immediate connection to the story's cliffside entrance, and that the collapse would render the original entrance missing. It was just that, for whatever reason, the version of the map in my head did not have that long inlet at all, and PH was just miles and miles inland from the nearest coastline. And PH isn't big enough to explain that (incorrect/misremembered/whatever) positioning.

Quick jog north, just to "jog" my memory... And that coastline is actually quite close, and pretty cliffy (as these things go).

D'oh...

Johnny4Handsome

Post by Johnny4Handsome »

I really like this idea. It always bugged me that you had to scavenge for everything through dungeon loot. I'd be interested to see what you could do with more role play item possibilities; Perhaps having an option of what you prioritized to save from the shipwreck would be a neat start idea.

Did you choose to save a few books and torches, or did you go for the extra piece of armour and clothes?

I will admit, this stems from me really enjoying the class building/opening quiz system to start the game. I'd love to see even more choices tacked onto it :lol:

L57

Post by L57 »

Yeah, sometimes DF's strict rules regarding this look too limiting to me as well. You actually can fine-tune your starting equipment via questionnaire, which, in turn, depends on your careful skills choices. But it has to be really careful and you need to experiment a lot to understand all possible paths, which often aren't obvious. And sometimes you have to sacrifice desired skill combinations as a trade-off in the process.

It's immersion breaking sometimes, especially regarding starting spells, which also appears to be a bit illogical. You can lose your sword in the storm, but spells cannot leak from your spellbook.

Silence

Post by Silence »

In line with the idea of losing everything in the shipwreck, you could also lose your spellbook. Problem solved. ;)
Many knights Silence unsat / from the saddle, with her lance / Had they known truth as it was / that the one who made'm fall / possessed naught of being male / but the skill and tools of trade! / Livid witnesses they'd be / of Nurture's triumph over Birth

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Silence wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:45 pm In line with the idea of losing everything in the shipwreck, you could also lose your spellbook. Problem solved. ;)
Privateers Hold should have a starting cave that’s partially submerged witha lot of wreckage and lootpiles. Then you start the game with litterally nothing but a set of pants and have to search the wreckage for starting equipment. Maybe one of the piles has a spellbook? :D

You could also have a character generation question that asked:
“While abandoning ship you managed to grab one item. What was the item?”
Your sword
Your axe
Your mace
Your spellbook

Thinking about it, the question about what kind of gift you got could probably be modded to ask this instead.

pango

Post by pango »

I was thinking PH was missing the mud slide mentioned in the introduction, but your ideas are even better...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

L57

Post by L57 »

Silence wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:45 pm In line with the idea of losing everything in the shipwreck, you could also lose your spellbook. Problem solved. ;)
How? PC already has a spellbook as an item in inventory, and it obviously belongs to him/her.

Dubiousintent

Post by Dubiousintent »

How? Just put "Missing" or "water soaked and illegible" or a blank page into the contents in place of any spells. No different than having a Inventory button that displays nothing because you do not have the appropriate items.

This thread is an interesting idea I hope someone implements.