Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Jay_H

Re: Daggerfall Unity Quest Pack #1

Post by Jay_H »

The guy is already there. You haven't found him yet. Most ordinary players get into a fight with an enemy, get injured, and have to rest for 8 hours, which is already well enough to pass the time limit. Unless you're powergaming or console spamming, it's very hard to clear an entire dungeon in 4 hours.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

I did find the guy in the end, he came out into a hallway, but I swear I checked around there already.

Just so I understand how this is working: You get teleported to the dungeon, you wait some time, then the quest target will spawn in the same spot you did, and you kill them?

BTW, never thought I'd get a kick out of paying taxes :mrgreen:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No, I figured landing the enemy at the same spot you did would be frustrating and unimmersive. Lots of players would have told me, "I didn't think of going all the way back to the warp point!" so I decided to avoid that. The enemy will show up as a random spawn (and multiple times, too, just to make sure it doesn't get lost / voided / trapped).

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

Jay_H wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:59 pm No, I figured landing the enemy at the same spot you did would be frustrating and unimmersive. Lots of players would have told me, "I didn't think of going all the way back to the warp point!" so I decided to avoid that. The enemy will show up as a random spawn (and multiple times, too, just to make sure it doesn't get lost / voided / trapped).
Ah, I see. Thank you for the info. I understand you've done the best you can with the functions available, I just wasn't expecting it to play out like that. May I suggest rewording the quest info to express something like "you'll have to slay a few of his men before he comes out of hiding"?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I don't have my programming set up on this computer (suffering from HDD failures) but I'll add it to my notes so I remember to change it. Thanks for the feedback :)

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

No worries :)

A bug for you too:

This is JHIM009. After kidnapping the dude, if you re-enter the house he was in you'll get another dude face. Do it again for a third. I don't want to try a fourth. I'll let you know what happens when I finish.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Very good! Thank you for that report, I can fix that. I know people like this quest pack but very rarely do they tell me about any bugs; this is great feedback.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

No problem! I'll keep on reporting them when I come across them :) When I finished JHIM009, the faces cleared, seems like no harm done.

alphaTECH

Post by alphaTECH »

I just finished JHFG020. I was truly stumped for a while, as with Persistent Dungeons installed, there is nothing to kill. I went around the entire dungeon looking for a quest target; I figured you might have coded this one as a single enemy near the start room that would camouflage in with the other enemies. I didn't find one, so I took advantage of a bug in PD to respawn all enemies in Privateer's Hold. I went around a second time, killing everything, and still could not figure out what I was doing wrong or not finding. I checked the quest debugger and found out I had another almost four in-game hours to wait until the next stage of the quest triggered. I loitered for that long and sure enough it moved on.

Again, I like the novelty in the way you've dealt with the issue of getting players to kill enemies, but the mandatory time to stay in the dungeon is much too high. Assuming a player will sleep is just not nearly reliable enough. I only sleep in dungeons if I have run out of mana as I have spells, potions, and magic items to restore health and fatigue. I'm only level 9 and I'm using the loot realism mod which makes gold accumulation much slower (point being that there will be higher leveled, skilled, and outfitted players in vanilla DFUnity that this quest will trip up like it did me).

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I had the same thought while I was beta-testing it but didn't change it. I'll include it in the next change (HDD is coming in tomorrow so these fixes may not be so far off). It's going to be a little awkward when you barely enter the dungeon and the guy already cheers up, but that's better than wandering around aimlessly for him to get better ;) Thanks for telling me.