[MOD] Meaner Monsters

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Meaner Monsters

Post by Ralzar »

Dubiousintent wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:31 pm Wha...? Oh, right. This is a THAC0 based system, isn't it? (THAC0 = "To Hit AC0", which is the most protective class of armor from the original Dungeons & Dragons system.) Not how I initially took those Armor numbers, which was why I felt the need to comment originally; because I thought rats were getting harder to hit.

Never mind me. Carry on.
Yes. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would do that but then, that can be said of a lot of decisions in Daggerfalls design :D

I'm noticing now that the armor values span from 7 to -12, which is a weird range. I'll have to dig into the code a bit to figure out if I could perhaps stretch it further in both ends.
Same with Level, which I am pretty sure affects stuff like spell calculations.

In other news:

I've also dug up the ability to affect class HP calaculation. The reason humans aren't touched by this mod is because a lot of their stats is defined by the class mechanic. With this I might be able to do some light-touch modding of humans.

Also, I see there's the posibility of running monster spawning commands. I'll check if it might be possible to have extra monsters spawn in dungeons outside of resting. If I'm able to have a monsters provoke spawning of a specific type of monster I could maybe do something like an orc warlord summoning orcs or a Lich summoning skeletons.
We'll see. This bit is complete fantasy at the moment :D

L57

Post by L57 »

Could you add any special abilities? Improving resistances against specific types of weapons, just like skeletons are harder being hit with anything but blunt weapon?

I'd suggest get Iron Atronach high armor rating (probably as high as vanilla zombies? :) ), they are literally walking armor.

De-buffing zombies is really great idea. it looks extremely counterintuitive that it’s so hard to hit them, I don't get what idea behind this at all. And they hit harder than giants, really? :|

It would be cool to add aura effects to atronachs, but I suppose it's impossible to do yet. Adding them elemental spells may look like compensation, but then they will become too similar to fire/frost daedras.
Last edited by L57 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

I wonder how many stats were influenced by D&D books, and how many were just dice rolled :D
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

L57

Post by L57 »

Indeed, there are some very strange balance decisions. Zombie case is extreme one, but there are other minor things as well, thanks for this mod I noticed for the first time bats hit stronger than bears :?

By the way, mod applies three types of attack to were-creatures, does this mean series of attacks, i. e. for example three successful fast attacks in a row?

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

L57 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:09 pm By the way, mod applies three types of attack to were-creatures, does this mean series of attacks, i. e. for example three successful fast attacks in a row?
I honestly cant remember. I think some of those monsters have several attacks that use the diffrent damage ratings.

But yeah, the more I dug into the monster stats, the less sense they made. Bear and Tiger really sticks out. I guess the developers considered the too mundane to have good stats?
The game could really have done with a couple of low-tier enemies. Something like goblins.

L57

Post by L57 »

I honestly cant remember. I think some of those monsters have several attacks that use the diffrent damage ratings.
Probably it's the same as if human enemy attack three-hit combo in a row? But were-creatures are the only who use three types of attack in your mod.
I guess the developers considered the too mundane to have good stats?
Well bats are mundane too, even if they are bigger than normal ones. Still have relatively high stats, while they should be quite fragile given their physiology. I think devs simply didn't really care about that much.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

V1.1 released:

Rats debuffed.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Cool mod, but could you perhaps consider making optional "Meaner Monsters Only" version? Meaning that it only would have buffed enemies. Don't personally like the debuffs myself.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Seferoth wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:34 am Cool mod, but could you perhaps consider making optional "Meaner Monsters Only" version? Meaning that it only would have buffed enemies. Don't personally like the debuffs myself.
Hm, good point. I’ll see what I can do.

theJF

Post by theJF »

I hate to jump in, but if there's a buff only setting, how about a debuff only setting as well? Basically I hate zombies.
;)