[MOD] Distant Terrain

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
haloterm

Re: [MOD] Distant Terrain

Post by haloterm »

pango wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 pm I'm not sure what you mean by "freeze", if that means "stop responding", then something is wrong.
The DFU program was not responding anymore and had to be shut in the Windows task manager.

I have tested it again at the northern border and this time I could walk until I arrived at the invisible barrier. In a few tests, the loading of the distant terrain seemed to hick up hiccup, but it went fine after a few seconds.

At the southern border though, fast travelling to the souternmost "pixels" on the map (taverns etc.) can either cause to fall you down infinitely or you get a black screen and game does not respond anymore (music still plays the current track, then stops).
Last edited by haloterm on Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pango

Post by pango »

The barrier is implemented by moving you back to previous coordinates if you crossed it.
If you're "teleported" directly past the barrier, strange things will probably happen. I wonder if that can happen with some locations, maybe the limit should be upped...

(P.S. rereading the thread, many other things could go out-of-bounds...)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

haloterm

Post by haloterm »

pango wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:23 pm P.S. rereading the thread, many other things could go out-of-bounds...
Thankfully so far I haven't noticed any other issues with the mod... Personally, playing DF without it is nearly impossible for me anymore. (The Mountains & Hills mod is not a real alternative)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I don't think the bounding bug I tracked down and posted about in October has been fixed yet. Nystul must be busy with other things.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I do hope Nystul is able to find time to fix any current bugs/compatibility issues that can be corrected here and with Enhanced Sky - these two mods are already core components of my DFU alpha setup!

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

really busy at the moment - as many of you may have realized I hardly find time to work on dfunity at the moment - I hope it will get better in a few weeks :/

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

No worries, Nystul - thanks for checking in, and I hope things free up for you!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Just noticed this mod is not on Nexus yet, that should change. Its the best. It will be top 5 very soon after you place it there. Please do so :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I'd also requested a few months ago (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1542&p=34632#p34632) info as to whether Nystul has plans to post this and his other mods (which are my most essential!) to Nexus, but I assume from his recent responses here that real life has just been extremely busy for him recently.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

MonoRena667 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 pm I have noticed a rather major issue with this mod.

daggerfallabibon-gora.png

In the Abibon-Gora region, fast travel works just fine without Distant Terrain. But if Distant Terrain is activated, if you fast travel to the farthest south of the area...this happens.

daggerfalldistantlandfalling.png

You basically fall through the terrain and can't even interact with the area you fast traveled too, this is a rather major issue that needs to be fixed.

I have tried this without the Distant Terrain mod, it works fine, but once it's enabled it gets messed up.
Yeah, I just noticed this "falling under the world" bug as well, at the very southern part of the world map, if you fast travel to some of the sparse locations there, you will load in falling far below the walk-able terrain and be falling infinity unless you activate levitation. It's interesting, because the location is still there if you float up quite a while, and it works normally once you clip back through the mountains. After disabling this mod and fast traveling to the same place, there is no problem.

Also noticed if you put on super-speed and start heading toward the end of the map without fast traveling, it seems like the terrain started to stop loading after a point and you could fall right through these giant chunks of unloaded map squares.