[MOD] Roleplay & Realism (modular)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
L57

Re: [MOD] Roleplay & Realism mod pack

Post by L57 »

It's a monster's bed. Hands off private property!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

hannafamilycomputer wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:04 pm Are you supposed to be able to sleep in the beds inside dungeons or only the ones inside inns? The ones in inns I can sleep in but not the ones in dungeons.
(Not that it changes anything gameplay-wise, you can just rest next to the bed.)
I could enable that I think, can you provide a save next to the bed you want to use please?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hey, with my newest C&C feature, clothing and armor decay, it was pointed out that even with the RP&R mod, armor damage isn't really noticable.

Now, for most armor, the explenation for this is that higher tier materials have an absolutely absurd amount of HP compared to low tier materials. But the RP&R feature does not seem to be particuarly noticable even for leather or chain?
Is this code actually running, and if it is, maybe something should be done to up the armor damage?

RP&Rs code:

Code: Select all

private static bool ApplyConditionDamageThroughPhysicalHit(DaggerfallUnityItem item, DaggerfallEntity owner, int damage)
        {
            if (item.ItemGroup == ItemGroups.Armor)
            {
                int amount = item.IsShield ? damage / 2 : damage;
                item.LowerCondition(amount, owner);
                if (owner == GameManager.Instance.PlayerEntity)
                    Debug.LogFormat("Damaged {0} by {1} from dmg {3}, cond={2}", item.ItemName, amount, item.currentCondition, damage);
                return true;
            }
            return false;
        }

Now, personally I think the higher tier armors are way too durable. Sure, they should absolutely be noticably better than the low tier ones, but the diffrence is so big it completely removes any hope of them working on the same playingfield. Damage that could scratch a Deadric armor would one-hit break Steel armor.

So, what I did in C&C is cause damage based on maxCondition. For example, causing maxCondition/100 damage to the armor piece.

Maybe this could be done for RP&R as well? Just with including the Damage recieved in the calculation, obviously? I could allways make my own tiny mod for this, but I feel it would be better to just have the function in RP&R to avoid mod conflicts.

You could do a slider modsetting that goes "Off" -> "Normal" -> "Hardcore" to choose which caluclation to use.

Maybe something like this?:

Code: Select all

private static bool ApplyConditionDamageThroughPhysicalHit(DaggerfallUnityItem item, DaggerfallEntity owner, int damage)
        {
            if (item.ItemGroup == ItemGroups.Armor)
            {
                int amount = item.IsShield ? damage / 2 : damage;
                int dmgAdjuster = Mathf.Max(item.maxCondition / 100, 1);
                amount *= dmgAdjuster;
                item.LowerCondition(amount, owner);
                if (owner == GameManager.Instance.PlayerEntity)
                    Debug.LogFormat("Damaged {0} by {1} from dmg {3}, cond={2}", item.ItemName, amount, item.currentCondition, damage);
                return true;
            }
            return false;
        }

(I've not tested the code yet, so the calculations may be way off in how weak/strong it is).

L57

Post by L57 »

I have played for a few in-game months with leather and chain armors with RR, and they are still 'new' - not a single scratch... I have not tested it precisely, but I'm sure I took enough damage and hits to make armor condition to drop.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Are you sure that you're using the latest version of the mod and have this module enabled? If so, can you please test by switching on godmode (tgm in console) and letting some mobs whail on you for a bit and see if condition drops? You can also check the logs since it should be logging the damage made to armor. They will still take a while to get very bad condition, especially the higher tier materials.

Ralzar, I didn't want to simply scale against the armor max condition value because that means that the higher tier materials are no stronger than lower ones. Why is C&C doing this too, seems a bit redundant - could you not just suggest users install my mod? I'm happy to tweak and balance the formula, and feedback is useful for doing this - especially from players who play the game rather than just test code like I do.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:17 am Ralzar, I didn't want to simply scale against the armor max condition value because that means that the higher tier materials are no stronger than lower ones. Why is C&C doing this too, seems a bit redundant - could you not just suggest users install my mod?
Honestly, I allways assume players are using both RP&R, so I allways keep your mod in mind when developing C&C.

My mods feature first of all aims at introducing wear&tear on clothes. So when the temperature is extreme, there is an increasing risk of you shirt, pants shoes etc getting worn out.
While I was at it I added code for armor "rusting" if you were walking around soaking wet. I do not use ApplyConditionDamageThroughPhysicalHit, but simply apply some damage directly to metal armor. This will usually only have any effect if you are swimming for extended times or traveling in the rain without a cloak.
I specifically avoided doing anything that would conflict with RP&R.

Edit: Oh yeah, and about the scaling. Yeah, I don't want to remove the difference between the material types. I just want to shorten the distance, so it's actually noticable when higher tier armor gets damaged. At the current time I think a large part of the problem is that mobs are simply not causing enough damage for the calaculation to actually have a meaningful effect on high tier armor.

L57

Post by L57 »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:17 am Are you sure that you're using the latest version of the mod and have this module enabled? If so, can you please test by switching on godmode (tgm in console) and letting some mobs whail on you for a bit and see if condition drops? You can also check the logs since it should be logging the damage made to armor. They will still take a while to get very bad condition, especially the higher tier materials.
Yes, it's the last 21 Dec 2019 version.

I have used only the same set of leather armor during the first few in-game weeks, and the same set of chain armor after that. I have not replaced any pieces. I must admit probably I have not received damage often enough due to my playstyle with current PC, who tries not to get hit, but armor still looks too durable.

I will follow your suggestion and test in within a few days.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Do remember that each hit can be received by different armor pieces. You could look at the armor items in your savefile, or drop it here and I will take a look.

hannafamilycomputer

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

These 3 rooms are pretty furnished, so I think working beds would make sence.
Attachments
SAVE80.zip
The room across the hall has a bed as well.
(145.82 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
SAVE78.zip
(179.93 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So I took a look at doing this and unfortunately it would require that these models are not combined with others to allow for interaction. Inside buildings the data has a type that is used to not combine furniture but the dungeon block data doesn't use the same thing. It does have a description of each model, but these are quite cryptic and only 3 letters. I may experiment and see what I can figure out, but this is not as easy as adding new models to the list.