Can the thieves in a "Guard the Guild" quest take the object and flee without defeating you?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Dubiousintent

Can the thieves in a "Guard the Guild" quest take the object and flee without defeating you?

Post by Dubiousintent »

So, I've been doing a series of back-to-back "Guard the Guild" quests for the mages, and gotten in the habit of taking up the guarded item (to prevent it getting stolen while busy dealing with the thieves) and relocating to somewhere in the building where the bodies from previous thwarted attempts aren't cluttering up the landscape. I now suspect this led to the problem reported as Bug?: Post quest "resting" drops rep 144 points at once.

Hence the question in the title. I've noticed they don't appear until I have moved to a position where they can 'port in behind me. If I am positioned just right I can cause one or two of the four to appear in an adjacent room. If I move so this leaves the item in a different room at some point, can they just take it and run, or do they all have to defeat me first?

Can one of the un-engaged enemies in the same room grab it and run?

I guess this all boils down to "is their objective grabbing the quest item, or defeating me"?

Jay_H

Re: Can the thieves in a "Guard the Guild" quest take the object and flee without defeating you?

Post by Jay_H »

They are absolutely there to kill you. The whole "burglary" thing is just something the questgiver lies about to ease your mind. Make no mistake: you're a sitting duck.

Dubiousintent

Re: Can the thieves in a "Guard the Guild" quest take the object and flee without defeating you?

Post by Dubiousintent »

So the quest object can be totally ignored? (I've confirmed that some of them are "cursed".) Sweet. Those guys and gals are just walking loot piles on my way to the bank now that I can maneuver freely.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

Dubiousintent wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:45 am So the quest object can be totally ignored? (I've confirmed that some of them are "cursed".) Sweet. Those guys and gals are just walking loot piles on my way to the bank now that I can maneuver freely.
This is one of my favorite quest to use to kit out a magic based build affiliated with the mages guild. I have never picked up the protected item, I also have never seen an NPC even try to grab the item (although logically it would make sense for them too) they just attack me.