[MOD] Archaeologists

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ralzar

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists = Julianos?

Post by Ralzar »

Dracosophy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm I haven't read through more than the first & last pages of this thread, so I apologize if this has already been brought up.

Is it just me, or does this mod sound like it adds many features which might go well in the Temple of Julianos and/or the Mage Guild?
I'm thinking the emphasis on lore, scholarship, & finding things in particular.

RE: Language-skill revamp; I'm all for anything that makes those genuinely useful in the game...
and I'm sure there are tons of different uses we could come up with.
Note that you do not have to join the guild to benefit from the language change and the Recall potions. You just need the mod active.

The game generally has a problem with the Mages Guild being the alpha and omega of guilds while all the rest are pretty meh. If you play a non-magic character you should join a temple to buy potions, but that is kind of it. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are embarassingly sparse with guild services.
Why does the Mages Guild get everything? Why isn't potions sales moved out to the alchemists? Why aren't thieves guild selling magic items with thieving effects? Why aren't temples giving you holy items and blessings? Why can't The Dark Brotherhood poison your weapons?

Why is potion making so bad?

I could go on ranting. Later ELder Scrolls games suffered more and more from "A mile wide and an inch deep". While Daggerfall is more like "10 miles wide and there's some pitfalls" :D

Hopefully the Archeologist mod will be a springboard for modders to redesign the existing guilds into something you wold want to join.

Dracosophy wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:30 pm I'm finally at the point/age in my life when I have given up searching/jumping from one new game to the next in search of what I want, and I keep playing my favorite old games, modding them and such, but I am done hoping someone will make my game the way I want it, and am inclined to make it happen myself now...
...so if anyone is looking for ideas, or wants to teach some basic modding to someone... I am great at coming up with ideas, and have a lot of free time, so I could work on something tedious if i get to improve a game I play and learn something at the same time as help a modder [for example].
I've been playing immersive RPG/action/adventure kinds of game, online and single-player for over 25 years now, in addition to consuming tons of classic sci-fi/fantasy media (reading/video mostly, but some table-top as well), so I have a decent idea of what has already been done etc.
Are you me? Anyway, welcome to the forums :)

Doctor3d

Re: [MOD] Archaeologists

Post by Doctor3d »

I was wanting to do something similar with the city guards. I wanted to be able to create a City Guard faction and be able to join one guard in either the capital of Daggerfall, Sentinel, or Wayrest. I wanted to expand the gameplay of Knights, Warriors, and Archer style characters using either etiqutte\language skills, pure sword builds, or pure archer without any magic.

I wanted the HQ for each to be in the palace and the quests I have written for them are things like fending off tiger attacks, bear attacks, barbarian hordes, from the city walls. I also have some stuff like solving a murder through dialog skills and going through a chain of suspects and looking for evidence. I've done a lot of that with just quests - but I want it to be like this to where it's like a whole new guild. Could you explain how you added it, or show the source?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hey there, hope my stuff makes sense. You may have to read a few times, as you gradually learn new things each time. All the code for my mods is available on GitHub, and in fact the mods only actually exist because I wanted to prove and demonstrate the modding features I was adding to DFU. Got carried away, but I think that's a good thing as people seem to enjoy what I've done. The GitHub repo for my mods is https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Also take a look at the sticky thread about creating guilds in the modders forum. Note that it's worth being familiar with how the classic standard guilds work so it all makes sense, you will find this page is very helpful: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Factions
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Doctor3d

Post by Doctor3d »

Thank you very much. Yes it makes sense for me to be able to follow along. This is exciting! :D

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

New version v0.10 is out now. Not a lot in this one, just added an an in-game book containing all of the places where you can find Archaeologist guild halls. Given to new members when they join, any existing members can get a replacement from the Recall Mark repair NPC. Speak to them with a mark that doesn't need repair and they will notice if you don't have the locations book and ask if you want a replacement.

Thanks to TheLacus for adding custom book support!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

So does anyone have any feedback or balancing suggestions for the Archaeologists guild? Not getting much feedback which I am assuming is a good sign. I feel like this mod is pretty much complete, and while I would like to do a bit more on the quests, this is not going to happen any time soon so I am feeling like it's time to release version 1.0 and come out of alpha. It's been 2 years since the original 0.1 release so it's about time. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Time goes by too fast 😊
You did a outstanding job on this mod, expanding the gameplay and content is what this game needs the most. My hat goes off to you!👍

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks KoW, I appreciate the kind words. :geek:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Version 1.0 is released! :o

Now out of alpha. Rebalanced and refined. Still to be improved upon of course. Main change is allowing more characters to join the guild (dodging skill) and to buy locator devices immediately, albeit only with holy relics (tomes or daggers). Once you get to rank 1 in the guild no holy relics are required, just gold. Prices start at 2k and at rank 9 are only 200gp as well as being more effective - i.e. can be activated with less exploration.

Re-read first post as it's been updated with all relevant details.

Changes:
  • Fix high rank quest
  • Rebalance language pacification for humans (Etiquette & Streetwise skills)
  • Rebalance guild INT requirements
  • Rebalance locator purchasing
  • Added dodging to guild skills to make it easier to join
Still welcome feedback!

Aleryn

Post by Aleryn »

My non-mage characters extend endless thanks for your efforts and the general improvement to Daggerfall with this mod. =)