Advanced Option suggestion: Custom class race attributes.

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Ralzar

Advanced Option suggestion: Custom class race attributes.

Post by Ralzar »

I think it's always been unfortunate that when you build a custom class (which is what everyone does mostly) the race you pick has nothing to say except for graphics and the few racial buffs that matter.
After all, you are building a "custom class", not a "custom character" or a "custom race".

So, my suggestion is to have race attribute negatives and positives be applied with the attributes roll.
In addition: not let you lower any attribute below 20, so you don't kill yourself by applying a -10 racial attribute.

Ommamar

Re: Advanced Option suggestion: Custom class race attributes.

Post by Ommamar »

Are you referring to this thread regarding the racial buffs: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2389

I think the racial traits for skills really came in to being in Oblivion, I don't think Morrorwind has them but last I played it was so modded that hard to say what was in the original. Is that your idea to give race traits based on that system? Or is it more like the system in Skyrim?

I think of race traits as a unchangeable aspect of the character but it sounds like you have more of a adaption of the advantage/disadvantage system already there. I could see the logic in you being an anomaly of the race you chose which would set you apart and perhaps set you on the adventuring path.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ah, but notice that if you choose any of the prefab classes, the racial buffs/debuffs are applied. While if you make your own class, it does not? It just seems more lika bug than anything else. Particularly since you still get the frost resistance if you are a a nord, or the disease&parlyzation resistance if you are a high elf.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I will have to look at them as I don't recall ever actually playing a prefab class. I remember a lot of discussion on this, I am pretty sure interkarma and others showed the code showing that the buff/debuffs in regard to racial where not effected by the custom class. That was how I understood it anyway but it was a good bit ago so I might be mis-remembring or I didn't understand what was being stated.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yeah, what I'm after is just an option to make the race templates work the same way, no matter what character creation process you choose.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So is what is being suggested that the racial attribute values are actually calculated, if you are using a "base" class like mage instead of the custom option? Because I just made a Wood-elf mage which SHOULD have -10 luck stat from the start, but it does not, it only seems to go by the base stats of the class picked, which for a mage is 50.

I have not tried making a class in classic DF, so i'm not sure if it worked in that either.

Edit: The attribute differences i'm referring to are from this page btw. https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Races

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Yes, I'm pretty sure I've tested this and gotten the attributes applied based on race when using prefab classes like Mage.

Edit: and now it's not working. You know what, never mind. I retract the suggestion. Although this does motivate me further to see some character creation mod at some point.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

I mean, it says on the unofficial wiki that there SHOULD be some attribute differences between the races and genders of said races, it does not seem to actually work at all that way. I think it should be an option, but am really not sure what sources are correct on this feature.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Unofficial wiki is often based off DF Chronicles which was done from plans for the game and some of those plans didn't make it into the release. For instance the Donation blessings for temples, I tried to find more info but never saw any when testing in classic so had no idea what these effects were supposed to do exactly. They are another thing that doesn't seem to be in the released game. (although if someone can prove me wrong, I'll certainly add em)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

pango

Post by pango »

(Offtopic, but replying to Hazelnet
Recently I saw a streamer whole recent character couldn't join a temple, he made a small donation - 100 gold I think - and suddenly could join. So, if it gives none of the benefits planned in the Chronicles, I suspect that it at least puts members in slightly better dispositions vs the player).
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart