[UNDER CONSTRUCTION] Races Redone

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Ralzar

[UNDER CONSTRUCTION] Races Redone

Post by Ralzar »

The code for this is in a working form, but I am still looking at additions and tweaks before releasing. (Not to mention some testing to make sure all the funky stuff I added works as expected.)
I figured I could post this now to get feedback and ideas for tweaks to the existing rulesets I've made or for new rulesets.

Races Redone
Offering different sets of rules for racial bonuses/drawbacks.

Download will be here

Thanks to ACNAero for the idea and hashing out the modern rules with me.

Summary
I recently discovered that Daggerfall does not apply the racial attributes. Neither when creating custom class or the prefab classes. This mod re-introduces this and offers an optional "modern" ruleset inspired by the rules from other ES games and the Daggerfall race descriptions.

Classic Rules
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Races

Modern Rules

Advantages: Note that some races gain advantages like Athleticism. These are the class Advantages and will not be cumulative with taking a class that gives the same advantage.

Argonians
+10 INT, +10 AG, +10 SPD, -20 PER, -10 END
Immunity: Poison
Resistance: Disease
Short Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 2
Water Breathing
Reduced Fatigue loss while swimming.

Breton
+10 INT, +10 WIL, -10 STR, -10 END
Spell Points: Slight increase
Resistance: Magic

Dark Elf
+10 STR, +10 INT, +10SPD, -20 WIL, -10 PER
Resistance: Fire
Short Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3
Long Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 4
Missile Weapon ToHit & Damage: + Level / 4

High Elf
+10 INT, +10 WIL, +10 AG, -20 STR -10 END
Immunity: Paralysis
Low Tolerance: Fire, Frost, Shock, and Magic
Spell Points: Substantial increase

Khajiit
+10 END, +10INT, +10 AG, -20 WIL, -10 PER
Acute Hearing
Athleticism
Hand to Hand ToHit & Damage: + Level / 2
Short Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 4
Classic Bonus: +30 to Climbing checks

Nord
+20 END, +10 ST, -20 INT, -10 WIL
Resistance: Frost
Axe ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3
Blunt ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3

Redguard
+10 END +10 AG, +10 SPD, -20 INT, -10 WIL
Adrenaline Rush
Resistance: Poison and Disease
Long Blade ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3

Wood Elf
+20 AG, +10 SPD, -20 STR, -10 END
Missile Weapon ToHit & Damage: + Level / 3
Last edited by Ralzar on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:36 am, edited 9 times in total.

Kzer-Za

Re: [UNDER CONSTRUCTION] Races Redone

Post by Kzer-Za »

I think that's a great idea, but I have a couple requests.

First, you mention that all races keep their racial bonus effects from classic, but not all of us remember them by heart. Could you list them also, maybe with an asterisk to indicate that this trait is retained from classic?

Second, aren't the Khajiit somewhat underpowered? Of course, they are underpowered in all TES games (at least, all that I have played), but in race-balancing mods this is usually rectified. Now they only have a bonus check for climbing from vanilla + Acute Hearing (which is not really a bonus) + two expertise in rather weak weapons. Not much compared to other races.

Of course, they have also Athleticism, but that is another issue that I wanted to raise: their stats do not really correspond to those in subsequent TES parts. They are supposed to have low Endurance, so +5 END and Athleticism kinda contradict that. Maybe it is better to rid them of Athleticism and make their stat bonuses like -10 WIL, +10 AG (that's more in line with their characteristics from the games that followed) without +/- to INT, PER, and LCK?

I'm sorry if I came off negative, that wasn't my intention, and overall I have a feeling that the races are balanced better than in vanilla. With the exception of the Khajiit :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Kzer-Za wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:21 pm I'm sorry if I came off negative, that wasn't my intention, and overall I have a feeling that the races are balanced better than in vanilla. With the exception of the Khajiit :)
No problem, I posted it now specifically so I could get some feedback before I went live. And I think I agree on the Khajiit.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Added the classic bonuses to the list.

And I just realized why I built the Khajiit as I did. I tried to make the rules match the descriptions:

"Khajiit hail from the province of Elsweyr. You are part of a tawny-skinned people, extremely hardy, intelligent, and agile. Many Khajiit have taken to painting their faces to more resemble their legendary feline cousins, the predatory cats that hunt the great desert. Khajiit are on the whole excellent climbers, and adept in all the arts of the thief."

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Doubled the bonuses and penalties for the modern rules.

I feel 5 is perhaps a bit low to have any noticable effect.
Last edited by Ralzar on Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

I should note I said Athleticism for Khajiit because it increases jump height by 10%, and they had a large skill bonus to Acrobatics in Morrowind and Oblivion. Unfortunately it’s hard to match things up perfectly to those two games and also make things balanced. I think either Ralzar or I said that we shouldn’t match up the attributes to Mor and Oblv unless DF’s descriptions can be changed to reflect them. Hell, the vanilla descriptions don’t even match up with the (intended) vanilla attribute changes, so...

As for the others: Short Blade is underpowered, hence why 3 races have it. Hand to Hand is surprisingly good, so don’t underestimate it; plus it’s there because they got bonuses to it in all future games. Acute Hearing is there for no other reason than they’re cats :p
Last edited by ACNAero on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

ACNAero wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:29 pm Hell, the vanilla descriptions don’t even match up with the (intended) vanilla attribute changes, so...
Edited the mod description to reflect this.

ACNAero

Post by ACNAero »

Question: should Wood Elves also be given poison resistance? In Skyrim, Bethesda gave them poison resist on top of the disease resist to buff them, but would it be too much for this game for so many of the races to resist disease and poison?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Interesting, will u also include those gender specific traits?

These things completely twist my brain, taking in the account everything and comparing to each other, so I will just observe the progress and hope for the best :lol:

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

The gender traits are there for the classic rules.
For modern: no. I’ve designed enough rpg rules through the years to know that gender specific bonuses only gets dumb and starts a bunch of arguments.