Just a general COVID19 thread - dont open if you not interrested in RL issues

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
MasonFace

Re: Just a general COVID19 thread - dont open if you not interrested in RL issues

Post by MasonFace »

I was actually talking about the toilet paper phenomenon yesterday with my coworkers. Around here, milk and bread sell out as soon as big storms are predicted. We joke that natural disasters give people a craving for milk sandwiches...

As for the toilet paper, we theorized that it has to do with people predicting that trade with China and local manufacturers getting closed may cause a shortage in supply, so some people are stocking up on essential consumables. Then secondly, shops may close down temporarily so it won't be available to buy later, even if they still had any to sell.

I think in reality its a ripple effect where a few people overthought/overreacted and bought a lot of toilet paper, then other people saw that behavior and thought "what do they know that I don't? I'd better buy now while there's still some left!" and then more people saw those people buy which prompted more people to buy, etc.. Or maybe a bunch of soccer moms read a Facebook post written by a troll that suggested they stock up on toilet paper because of COVID19 without any explanation whatsoever.

I dunno. People are strange.

Ralzar

Re: Just a general COVID19 thread - dont open if you not interrested in RL issues

Post by Ralzar »

Not to mention:

"A bunch of morons are buying all the toilet paper! I have to get some for myself before I'm forced to buy it from them!"

:D

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

MasonFace wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm Garlic for the vampires. *check*
Silver knife for the werewolves. *check*
Bright light for the banshees. *check*
Mask for the zombies. *check*

Where's the toilet paper for the mummies?
:D Full equip!
I have one last secret roll in my stash, nobody should know or I will be raided hard

Baler

Post by Baler »

This is a repost, not really my style but I am too amused.
Pro tip: If you stop drinking hand sanitizer you won't shit so much.
source: reddit
every store in a 10 mile radius around me is sold out of TP, they all still have plenty of hand soap.
Went to the dollar store to grab some miscellaneous stuff. All the hand sanitizer, alcohol, and toilet paper were completely gone. But the hand soap shelf was full.
And no one is touching canned goods, medicine, tissues, vitamins
The meat is gone from local grocery stores. I have tons of rice and beans instead

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

When times turn a bit sour, you start to see what ppl are about..
I have nothing against them tho, they are scared. And want to do something. But they dont know what exactly to do. So they buy stuff other ppl are buying. It shows theres something a bit off in the society. Or it maybe was like this all the time, but u dont realize it as much, because it stays hidden.

Anyway.. to each his own Id say :)

My info on the shops closing was correct, they implemented it at midnight, so ppl woke and shops are already closed - the shopping centers etc, but FOOD supply is still going on. Thats good. And thanks god they did it at night, can u imagine the RAID if they said, tomorrow we are closing? :o

My car colapsed at the morning, if I say it runs only on 4 valves, it might sound like all is ok, but this car should run on 5 valves :D

So Im at home... like theres much to choose from anyway. Stay safe :)

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

So far I hadn't really been directly effected by COVID-19 until yesterday (no one I know has it or at least no one has said they have). I found out that both my backup and primary job plans are shot for the next 7 months as the people/companies involved are going to shut down until further notice. On one hand I am in a stable situation financially and domicile wise but it is just so fear driven based on projection and what might happen. I will probably maintain this situation until September hopefully getting some extra money saved up to help out with traveling. I did think about just heading up into public lands to camp out and work on my RV but even that appears to be headed towards restrictions for the foreseeable future so I guess maintain in place is the best strategy even though it is going to be frustrating as I planned to travel extensively throughout the US this year.

As for the run on items we have seen a little particularly with the whole toilet paper stock piling which really makes no sense as it is a respiratory virus. As I mentioned before though most in this area had already naturally stocked up for at least a month so not to bad, apparently though people from other states are driving into this one to get their supplies.

I am hoping this it's going to flow out of notice theory comes to fruition but I have a feeling that it will pop up next fall. There might be better systems in place to deal with it or business/people might say "Whew glad that is over!!" then continue with business as it was before this occurred. Which will probably result in another crisis when the next virus season rolls around.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Yes, so many ppl here are job-less now all of sudden. Two friends in film industry got their big projects canceled, like 85% of the shops are closed and small business as well so the owners have no income. The economic impact of country shutdown is gonna be immense :/

Italy is skyrocketing, 21k cases, this way they will have more cases than china in 1 month :/

Baler

Post by Baler »

King of Worms wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:23 am
Italy is skyrocketing, 21k cases, this way they will have more cases than china in 1 month :/
China's 80k number is fabricated bullshit.
However if italy does hit 80k confirmed cases I'd say people there should be very concerned at that point. 21k is still a lot but it's still a preventative number.
When a country starts hitting 100k, government action will change even more drastically

I don't understand why it's so difficult for people to just kick back and relax for 2 weeks. Instead of getting in a panic and ignoring social distancing.
US among others, is on the rise. People in the US seem to think it's the end of the world. The local stores keep getting ravished daily, or so i've been told

I haven't left my home in 2 weeks and 3 days... Because I worked from home to begin with :lol: And I always have a good half a years supply of dried goods and a reverse osmosis water system.
But some can't stay in their house for 24 hours without going stir crazy :roll:

Wash your hands with soap and warm/hot water for 20s+

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Use your PC to do the Folding@home to fight the COVID-19 virus. If you like to donate some CPU or GPU time to the project, join us in this project.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/foldi ... virus.html

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

I went to Walmart at 7am this morning and was so disappointed, I didn't think people would react so badly as they are use to stocking up for months at a time in this area. But there where so many bare shelves throughout the store, the lady that worked the register was talking to a fellow employee who was about to take the lane over. She said she had come in early outside her usual scheduled work time to help stock. The one lady was mad because the other Walmart in town was holding toilet paper for employees apparently but this one had stocked what they had, the original clerk said that the toilet paper had gone with in 15 minutes of them pulling the pallet out to the aisle. No idea why people think the need so much a 4 roll package will last me a good couple of months. I did see a video where a lady was talking about how happy she was to find toilet paper for $1 a roll so maybe that is what is happening, the thing is toilet paper is a luxury that you can survive with out so no way in hell I would pay that.

I eat pretty spartan but I had to adjust as usual things I get like oatmeal where not on the shelves, there was a lot of normal cereal brands missing as well which is interesting as milk, both liquid and dry, seems to be another item to gets snatched up so people are planning to use water? No canned soups or pasta but I have stock to make my own so only missing the convenience of making soup from a can.

I did see some good news in a press conference on some relief funds going out to US workers and small business owners, as well as the airlines which are definitely going to be struggling in the foreseeable future. The US is the only country I have seen that seems to be trying to get ahead of the economic impact there might be other countries taking action that the media hasn't reported on. I hope there is as the way globalization is any country struggling in that respect will effect things world wide.