Can't Bring Mod Menu up.

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Teutonic_Tirade

Can't Bring Mod Menu up.

Post by Teutonic_Tirade »

Hello all,
I'm having a problem and I am new to this forum so I'm not sure if there is a place to ask questions about issues one is having.

I played a while ago but now that the DREAM overhaul of textures are out I want to get back into Daggerfall. I turned off the in game startup menu where you can choose settings for mods and such the last time I played and now I'm not sure how to turn it back on. Any guidance on this would be helpful.

pango

Re: Can't Bring Mod Menu up.

Post by pango »

Teutonic_Tirade wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:54 pm I turned off the in game startup menu where you can choose settings for mods and such the last time I played and now I'm not sure how to turn it back on.
Welcome to the forums Teutonic_Tirade!
Try keeping your Shift key pressed while Daggerfall Unity starts

If you can't manage to get that to work, you can go edit the settings file, but it's more painful: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes2Mod:Dagger ... n_again.3F
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Teutonic_Tirade

Post by Teutonic_Tirade »

Thanks, I had to go into Settings.ini but it is working now.

Kraggy

Post by Kraggy »

The Shift key doesn't work for me either; holding the left key while clicking a taskbar icon until the game's window appears broings up the game's initial video.

Editing ShowOptionsAtStart worked of course but if it's intended that Shift does what the message you get when you click Play says then it isn't doing so.

Would post this as a bug if I had the ability to do so.

pango

Post by pango »

I assume Unity doesn't take into account keys pressed before it starts, only keeping track of keys pressed or released while it has keyboard focus.
So it can be made to work, but not as simply as "keep Shift key pressed while starting the game", which is sad. Instead you have to let it start, and immediately press Shift and keep it pressed.
It's a bit easier to do with a development build because the "Unity splash screen" give some extra time to do so, but I checked it works with official release binaries too.
I'm not sure anything can be done about that though.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

My best method is to spam the space key immediately after double-clicking the executable. That usually gets it done.

Perhaps the text displayed on disabling start UI can be updated with a different description. The behaviour itself is working fine as a best effort kind of feature, just the instruction provided isn't always helpful unless the action is timed very precisely.

pango

Post by pango »

Yes, if we agree on the most efficient procedure, the text could be modified to match...
For me, under Linux, it works by keeping Shift pressed as soon as Daggerfall Unity has started (black screen)
-- Charles Goodhart