KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Ferital

Re: KoW - D.R.E.A.M.

Post by Ferital »

Impressive work KoW! Like Hazelnut, though, I'm not fond of the glass overlay.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thank you & No worries I still experiment with the portraits, I will do something more subtle .)

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

Those new faces ARE SO F%&$ING AMAZING!!! I'm super excited to start a new run with those enabled. :mrgreen:

DigitalMonk

Post by DigitalMonk »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 pm Thank you & No worries I still experiment with the portraits, I will do something more subtle .)
From someone sitting on the fence about the glass overlays:

I'm not sure that "more subtle" is the way to go. When I looked at them standalone in the row they looked like you said, behind a beveled glass panel. But for some reason, inside the dialog box, they just looked like something smeared their painting...

I'm wondering, if you want to go for glass, if you need the effects to be LESS subtle, but maybe less distracting in the main portion of the portrait. For instance:
  • chips along the edge of the bevel
  • some fine scratches, generally more away from the center
  • dust or dirt accumulated around edges
  • bright speculars right at chiseled edges, or along scratches
  • a faint reflection of your own character's portrait
  • weather based effects? water drops in rain, snowflakes in various stages of melting during snow?
  • I considered distortions and warps like old glass, but without movement that just ends up making a mess of everybody's face. It's a cool effect when you can move yourself around and see things at different angles, but not so much here...

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hey :) I like the idea of weather effects... but that would have to be dynamic, as weather changes in the game.I thought about dynamic portraits, but nobody will code that right now IMHO...

Anyway, Ive found a really nice setup for portraits

What I did was, I created vignette like effect which gets darker towards the edges of the portraits, but keeps the face untouched. That brings the focus to the face, and the rest gets out..

Than I added VERY subtle glass over it, without any chiseled borders.

The glass makes a godray-like effects like in a volumetric fog, enhancing the background of the charactersas well es the character themselves.
Spoiler!
DaggerfallUnity 2020-03-18 06-11-18.jpg
DaggerfallUnity 2020-03-18 06-11-18.jpg (689.86 KiB) Viewed 1324 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Now when I can produce good quality anti-aliasing just on the edges of the sprite I returned previous work to improve it, this will ensure better blending of these sprites in the game environment.. This method also cleans some of the residual AI upscaling artifacts, which is good! It does not blur the inside of the images, which was the requirement
Spoiler!
No aa:
Notice the black dots all around, the rough outlines etc
MJIC00C6.CIF_2-0.png
MJIC00C6.CIF_2-0.png (313.94 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
AA:
Nice and clean
MJIC00C6.CIF_2-0.png
MJIC00C6.CIF_2-0.png (354.73 KiB) Viewed 1314 times

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

And Ive finished up all the flying spell effects to go with better hands. Remade them all using AI, cleaned with the AA effects for better blend.. They look really pretty :)
Spells.jpg
Spells.jpg (162.46 KiB) Viewed 1301 times

emmathepony

Post by emmathepony »

They all look really really nice at least compared to the vanilla pixely mess that's low res lol

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks, Ive made a push in quality of the MOBs as well.

1st Ive found the way to semi-automate the generation of the antialiased sprites edges. Before it was manual tedious work, so I used it only on the most important frames (forward facing frames) to improve quality. Now its on all the frames, took a lot of time but its there.

Also a lot of new emission maps. Dont be scared, not all mobs have glowing eyes now. :) But Ive added emission effects to the spells casted by enemies. Plus for example Orc Shaman has this staff with glowing end and that part is now really glowing in the dark, plus his red amulet. Stuff like that. Plus Ive polished all existing emission maps

Than Ive added a shader effect on the mobs. I used it quite a lot on armors, clothing, commonrs, some ingredients etc. What it does is, it add a SLIGHT shadow casted from a top right. Its very subtle, but it adds to the dept of the mob. Ive made sure for it to look natural and enhancing, its very good touch you will never really realize is really happening.. just rest assured all assets which now have this effect look slightly better and fit in the scene more naturally.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This female vampire...
She was really sunburnt :) When I filtered out the magenta tint, this pale lady appeared :twisted:
I did the same process with tiger sprites already, he was not so severlly affected tho
No more sunburnt female vamps.jpg
No more sunburnt female vamps.jpg (181.61 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
And this is Fiery Dragon with magenta filtered out. I think this mob was supposed to look like this. That magenta is present in some other sprites and textures thru the whole game and looks like a compression glitch in the dagerfall palette., I got rid of as much as possible using SLADE Editor. But it was not removed from mobs up until now
02.jpg
02.jpg (130.8 KiB) Viewed 1146 times