[Solved] Two "Absorb Magic" enchantments

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
XJDHDR

[Solved] Two "Absorb Magic" enchantments

Post by XJDHDR »

While looking at the Enchantment Power list, I noticed that there are two enchantments that absorb magic: Cast when Held: Spell Absorption and Absorbs Spells.

Does anyone know what the differences between the two are? Besides the latter being 220 points cheaper. Thanks!
Last edited by XJDHDR on Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ommamar

Re: Two "Absorb Magic" enchantments

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

Thanks but I don't think this is the difference. I'm pretty sure it is only the Cast when Used enchantments that have to be "cast". Absorbs Spells is also grouped with other enchantments that are active all the time (eg. Repairs Objects).

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Spell absorption acts like a normal spell:

Code: Select all

public override void SetProperties()
        {
            properties.Key = EffectKey;
            properties.ClassicKey = MakeClassicKey(20, 255);
            properties.GroupName = TextManager.Instance.GetText(textDatabase, "spellAbsorption");
            properties.SpellMakerDescription = DaggerfallUnity.Instance.TextProvider.GetRSCTokens(1568);
            properties.SpellBookDescription = DaggerfallUnity.Instance.TextProvider.GetRSCTokens(1268);
            properties.SupportDuration = true;
            properties.SupportChance = true;
            properties.ChanceFunction = ChanceFunction.Custom;
            properties.AllowedTargets = EntityEffectBroker.TargetFlags_All;
            properties.AllowedElements = EntityEffectBroker.ElementFlags_MagicOnly;
            properties.AllowedCraftingStations = MagicCraftingStations.SpellMaker;
            properties.MagicSkill = DFCareer.MagicSkills.Restoration;
            properties.DurationCosts = MakeEffectCosts(28, 140);
            properties.ChanceCosts = MakeEffectCosts(28, 140);
        }
While Absorb spells is a constant effect:

Code: Select all

public override void SetProperties()
        {
            properties.Key = EffectKey;
            properties.GroupName = TextManager.Instance.GetText(textDatabase, EffectKey);
            properties.ShowSpellIcon = false;
            properties.AllowedCraftingStations = MagicCraftingStations.ItemMaker;
            properties.ItemMakerFlags = ItemMakerFlags.AllowMultiplePrimaryInstances;
            properties.EnchantmentPayloadFlags = EnchantmentPayloadFlags.Held;
        }
Don't ask me why one is cheaper than the other one, I don't know.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

Thanks BadLuckBurt

I'm mostly trying to figure out if there is any reason whatsoever to go with the more expensive enchantment. I tried loading both in an Item Maker and there is nothing to configure for either. Are there different probabilities, different behaviours or any difference between the two at all besides the cost and spell vs. constant effect?

On a side note, I found something else. When enchanting, you can apply either a Cast when Held: Troll's Blood enchantment for 920 points or a Regen Health: Always for 4000. Since Troll's Blood already gives you health regen, is there any reason to go with the more expensive constant effect instead?

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

Bump

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

BadLuckBurt seems to have provided the answers to your initial questions above. As for the regen health effects, you might also test in game.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

XJDHDR wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:43 pm Does anyone know what the differences between the two are? Besides the latter being 220 points cheaper. Thanks!
Cast when Held: Spell Absorption - When the item is equipped, it will cast the spell "Spell Absorption" on you. This is the same spell as you'd buy at the Mages Guild and cast on yourself. It has the same Chance setting as that spell: 10 + 5 / 1 levels. If you fail this Chance roll, spell will not be absorbed.

Absorbs Spells - Rather than casting a spell on you, this is an embedded effect. It's most similar to the kind of spell absorption you can select during character creation. Like the character advantage, there's no Chance roll involved with this effect. It's always considered available. And unlike "cast when held" spell enchantments, embedded effects do not degrade item quality. It's also cheaper. Hands-down the better of the two enchantments. :)

XJDHDR wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:50 am On a side note, I found something else. When enchanting, you can apply either a Cast when Held: Troll's Blood enchantment for 920 points or a Regen Health: Always for 4000. Since Troll's Blood already gives you health regen, is there any reason to go with the more expensive constant effect instead?
Cast when Held: Troll's Blood - When the item is equipped, it will cast the spell "Troll's Blood" on you. As above, this is the same spell you can buy and has the same settings. Magnitude=1-1 + 1-1 per 1 levels and ticks every 1 in-game minute. Can give you much higher regeneration rates but is subject to item degradation.

Regen Health: Always - Is an embedded effect, most similar to the class advantage. When active, you will regenerate 1 HP every 4 in-game minutes. This is generally less than above, but you can stack this enchant across multiple items. Not subject to item degradation.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yes, enchanting pretty much breaks the game. The "Absorbs Spells" (which is the "at all times"/"general" version of the class advantage) and "Regens Health: All The Time" enchantments are insane. I'll update the UESP wiki with the details on these two custom enchantments that were helpfully provided by Interkarma so no in-game testing would be needed.