0.7.65: No string limits on library shelves

BansheeXYZ

0.7.65: No string limits on library shelves

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Bookshelves in libraries and mage's guilds can have rather long book names that exceed the graphical window width. Classic cut these strings off at a certain point, similar to how long spell names get cut off in the spellbook.
SAVE30.zip
(142.67 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

Hazelnut

Re: 0.7.65: No string limits on library shelves

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks for the report.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I've taken a look at this and I think I left these strings untruncated so that books with similar titles with a 'Part n' suffix could be distinguished, even if it looks awful.. I preferred functionality over aesthetics.

I'll happily add string truncation if that's the community consensus, otherwise I'll leave it as is I think..
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

Makes sense, thanks. Maybe someday we will see more support for an alternative UI beyond just the save/load screen. The laundry list of problems is just neverending.

PS: There is some kind of formatting bug going on with the series of books "Fools' Ebony". They all end in "Part the Threeth" "Part the Fiveth" and the contents are messed up too with line breaks and overflows all over the place.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Those book titles could use a custom truncation, "Vampires of the Il(...), Chapter II" or something like that.

Edit: In fact, from a quick look to all book titles in Daggerfall (https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Books) I think a simple algorithm splitting the strings by appearances of comma, and truncating them separately, should do the trick. All the books with chapters or parts in the title have them separated with a comma. There are also commas in titles for different purposes but I think such an approach would still give quite natural results.

pango

Post by pango »

Or left-right slider, like in dialog interface...
No scroll-looking list has such feature though
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

MaxRebo

Post by MaxRebo »

Is there any book title that still exceeds the window width? I could not reproduce any such issue with the given savegame under 0.10.23. Also from the UESP wiki it doesn't look like any of the books would exceed the window with.

Witht that being said - can books be added by mods? If custom length book titles should be supported I could have a look at adding a horizontal scroll bar to the book picker window.

pango

Post by pango »

I think a narrower font is being used now, so this bug is less problematic than it used to be...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I think this one should be closed now.