Anybody know how to get around this issue i'm having?

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Magicono43

Re: Anybody know how to get around this issue i'm having?

Post by Magicono43 »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:40 pm Why would you want to carry on trying to work around it? You can grab my branch and develop + test ready for when the next build is released, might be a better use of your time.

As for protection levels in object oriented languages, it's all about encapsulation but here we're taking shortcuts for expediency. I would not do the same in a professional capacity or if the software was being used for critical devices etc. :D
After finding that there were more things I had to get around, I gave up on working around it. I forgot that using another branch of a forked project was a thing. With that in mind, I may as well ask something I was going to ask a few days ago.

For the Live Builds, is there a way to compile "experimental" builds into a .exe like the Live Builds? The purpose being for testing mods/code alterations in the "Live" environment, not just using Unity tools. As Ralzar was having problems that one time with Meaner Monsters, where the mod functioned in his Unity environment, but when he put the .dfmod into the Live build it was not working.

Like you fixed that bug a few days ago where broken armor was not updating properly and would keep the armor value even after something broke. I changed what you did in my Unity environment and it worked as it should, but is there anyway to do that into the current Live build? Only thing I could think of would be editing the Hex values of the .exe file or something?

Excuse my ignorance if this sounds silly, just curious if i'm missing something obvious.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Magicono43 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:30 pm For the Live Builds, is there a way to compile "experimental" builds into a .exe like the Live Builds? The purpose being for testing mods/code alterations in the "Live" environment, not just using Unity tools. As Ralzar was having problems that one time with Meaner Monsters, where the mod functioned in his Unity environment, but when he put the .dfmod into the Live build it was not working.
Yes you can do this, just select File->Build Settings... in Unity editor and select what you want then press build button.

However, it's not essential for you to check that a mod runs in .dfmod package format. That can be done by building the package and putting it into StreamingAssets/mods of your codebase running in Unity. This takes precedence over the virtual code based mods (you can see "(debug)" in mods list at start of game for virtual running) and is a good easy way to check the code works when compiled by the mod system MCS compiler which is where most issues come from.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Ah ok, thanks for the info there, good to see that building the entire project, not just mods is more simple than I expected. When you mention the "Debug" text when using the virtual version of mods, I think I've been doing the "Live" version this entire time by accident, lol. That's good to know in a sense, now I know my mods at least work in both environments.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Are you only changing formula helper? If so, seems kind of much for a complete separate build. Also, be careful messing with animation times. They will break the whole first person render and combat system if you aren't careful. There is a number of things going into the animation timing system, and I can tell you from my experience, you can easily make weapons disappear and other bugs. Some thing as small as having the animation .01 seconds below the minimum and the whole system falls apart
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I think they just want a build for testing, and the animation times are used by my mod R&R - this is just trying to keep that working.

The animation time is used to adjust to hit and damage depending on how long the bow is drawn.

My mod also uses and adjusts anim time for melee weapons - this caps the attack speed based on the weapon type.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Yeah, exactly has Hazelnut said. I also was curious about the "Live build" thing because if I did want to use a known bug-fix earlier than the time a build was going to be officially released, I wanted to know if that was possible to do so myself.