Duel Quest: npc not in the house it should be

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Reskal

Duel Quest: npc not in the house it should be

Post by Reskal »

Hi,
i got a quest in a tavern, where a guy was invited to a duel but wants me to fight it for him. So i went to house 1, where i met the duelist but he escaped and told me to get to house 2, which i found after a while. In there he wasn't, waited long hours , i think 12 or so. I went back to house 1, but here he is not also.
It looks bugged to me but not sure, i read this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1472
but did not help me.
Are the quests still bugged sometimes or did i do something wrong ?

pango

Re: Duel Quest: npc not in the house it should be

Post by pango »

Reskal wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am Are the quests still bugged sometimes or did i do something wrong ?
Could be either, a game save would help to diagnose the situation.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=313 contains info on how to locate save directories
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Reskal

Post by Reskal »

I play DU on 2 computers, actually i sit at my notebook with my saves from home, just downloaded them from dropbox. When going ingame, the quest is not in the questlog anymore, don't know why. I read the link you provided and tried to attach the output_log.txt file here but its not supported, cannot attach.
The save-file i could not attach also.

pango

Post by pango »

Attach the ZIP archives you create out of them instead
-- Charles Goodhart

Reskal

Post by Reskal »

Cool that worked.

I have to add, i had 2 similiar quests running. First was from mage guild, "find the book", and the second was from the tavern, "duel"..and for the Duel-quest, after i found the first house, i had to find the 2nd one, and this was not easy because the npcs marked this 2nd residence on the map but there was no marker, tried different times. I asked then many npc and came closer and closer, finally i were in the target-house. The npc of "duel" was not there but after a while loitering the npc of "find the book"(have been in the tavern before) attacked me. I don't know if this 2nd house of the duel-quest was the same as for the "find the book" npc also, or not.
I killed that guy, got the book and could solve the mage-quest. THEN the map marker of the 2nd house from the duel quest appeared suddenly, but not the npc i wanted to duel.
Attachments
output_log.7z
(6.28 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
SAVE2.7z
(99.39 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

pango

Post by pango »

Maybe there has been some collision between the locations chosen by the two quests:

Two Cowards:

Code: Select all

"name": "arena"
                            "locationName": "Chesterwark",
                            "buildingKey": 131340,
                            "buildingName": "The Ashford Residence",
Missing Book:

"name": "house"
                            "locationName": "Chesterwark",
                            "buildingKey": 131340,
                            "buildingName": "The Yeomford Residence",
Maybe people with deeper knowledge of the quest system can confirm, but that looks probable. Simplest fix would probably be to prevent random places already selected by live quests to be picked twice?
Last edited by pango on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

pango wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:39 pm Simplest fix would probably be to prevent resources already selected by live quests to be picked twice?
The Place resource should already filter out buildings assigned to another quest, I put this in some time ago. If this is a current version of DFU, then something has failed there for two quests to use the same building.

Reskal

Post by Reskal »

Thanks for taking care of this.
I think i remember from playing long years ago in the vanilla-Daggerfall, that from certain missions the npc came after you after a certain amount of time has passed, can this be ?
I hung around in Ashford residence(the 2nd house for "two cowards"-quest) and there the bookthief of the magequest got me then.
Never been in Yeomford residence to see him btw.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I've seen a player take too many commoner quests in the same tiny village where the quests started bugging out. Which I assumed was because they ran out of locations to use.

pango

Post by pango »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:25 pm I've seen a player take too many commoner quests in the same tiny village where the quests started bugging out. Which I assumed was because they ran out of locations to use.
Mmmh that's not supposed to happen either; If no matching location is found an exception is raised:

if (foundSites == null || foundSites.Length == 0)
                throw new Exception(string.Format("Could not find local site for {0} with P2={1} in {2}/{3}.", Symbol.Original,  p2, location.RegionName, location.Name));
And then eventually the quest is aborted with the questor saying something like "I gave the quest to a spellsword".
But that's the theory, if there's a subtle bug lurking, who knows
-- Charles Goodhart