The Daggerfall Roleplayer Generator

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Arl

Re: The Daggerfall Roleplayer Generator

Post by Arl »

Interkarma wrote:OK, I've added a "random name" button to the character creator that currently works for all races except Argonian and Khajiit. I'll review these two again against the name data available.

https://gfycat.com/FreeSevereCattle

That's awesome!
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I installed Arena for the very first time to try to find name data. The files contain three name-type DATs, only one of which could possibly be relevant. I've uploaded its contents here: http://pastebin.com/FtZCT2mS

I've also asked the question about Argonian names in the Arena subreddit, so hopefully we can either confirm or strike it soon.

afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

I haven't gotten to name generation in my Arena re-implementation yet, but a sampling of some Argonian and Khajiit names from the game world yields these results (in line with what's shown in those UESP links):

Female Argonian
- Aphina Magnes
- Demosyna Augusseus
- Peratea Caessius
- Demiana Galsar
- Demena Calision

Male Argonian
- Heros Pergulus
- Alexus Augusgulus
- Augustides Nilus
- Germanerius Messius
- Diocleticus Galsion

Female Khajiit
- Nafeliz Satani
- Zaheh Rovandi
- Rijjan Zakar
- Araya Sadavi
- Naahni Hammuhir

Male Khajiit
- Mohambil Hammuspoor
- Mojtabe Tavaktani
- Nabar Soloni
- Za'der Kivandi
- Ombar Mahmanni

Arena does indeed use NAMECHNK.DAT (the file Jay_H put on Pastebin) to generate the names, and like Interkarma pointed out earlier, some of the Argonian names could be mistaken as Roman names. The Khajiit names appear more original, and it looks like they share some traits with southwest/middle-eastern Asian names (Arabic, Turkish, Iraqi perhaps).

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

afritz1 wrote:I haven't gotten to name generation in my Arena re-implementation yet, but a sampling of some Argonian and Khajiit names from the game world yields these results (in line with what's shown in those UESP links):

Female Argonian
- Aphina Magnes
- Demosyna Augusseus
- Peratea Caessius
- Demiana Galsar
- Demena Calision

Male Argonian
- Heros Pergulus
- Alexus Augusgulus
- Augustides Nilus
- Germanerius Messius
- Diocleticus Galsion
Brilliant! So those names are attached to Argonians in Arena? If so, that's enough to settle it.

afritz1

Post by afritz1 »

Jay_H wrote:Brilliant! So those names are attached to Argonians in Arena? If so, that's enough to settle it.
Yes, the Argonian names were taken from random citizens in Black Marsh. On a related note, the Imperials in Arena have dark skin with bizarre names compared to those later in the series, so I guess the concept for them either wasn't developed yet, the developers had trouble implementing them, or maybe the names were meant to be used for orcs? I don't know. The only place Imperials are at in the game is the Imperial City. Here are some more samples I took:

Female Imperial
- Morrabith
- Grumuthor
- Veridoth
- Vojraten
- Dagotgon

Male Imperial
- Skulgagod
- Grumandon
- Anobith
- Gripotgod
- Druradon

Definitely not Imperial-sounding. But the only orcs in the game are hostile creatures, and there's no place on the map for the Wrothgarian Mountains yet. I can't say why the Imperials would use that kind of name generation.

Arl

Post by Arl »

Nice contribution afritz1!

Also, could not help but notice:
afritz1 wrote: Female Khajiit
- Nafeliz Satani
Happy Satan... :o
My Deviantart page, I have some Daggerfall stuff in there.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

afritz1 wrote:Yes, the Argonian names were taken from random citizens in Black Marsh.
Thank you!! That's fantastic news!
On a related note, the Imperials in Arena have dark skin with bizarre names compared to those later in the series, so I guess the concept for them either wasn't developed yet, the developers had trouble implementing them, or maybe the names were meant to be used for orcs? I don't know.
Yeah, that stuff is weird. I'm tempted to say they accidentally crossed Imperial and Argonian names, but that seems like something obvious enough that beta-testing would have caught it. In any case, my opinion is that this is where death of the author applies, but Interkarma's got the final word.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I prefer the Imperial Province as depicted before Oblivion.

Also, in Morrowind, my initial impression of the whole Talos thing was that the Tamriel Emperors had pulled a Roman Emperor - Worshipped after death.

Later I learned they'd worked it into the new lore.

Also, having the Emperor being one of the pillars holding up the world...Bleh.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I know this thread is from a long time ago, but it was the most appropriate one I could find, and I didn't want to make another. The previous guide was too restrictive for me, so I decided to change it. Here's the new one.

It more deals with attitudes and beliefs than specific actions to take, so it's a lot easier to create a character around, to govern the player's decisions.

After the first column, every pair of columns goes together, and can be repeated to make a very complex psyche.