OpenTESArena 0.10.0 Released!

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Dalebvr

Re: OpenTESArena 0.10.0 Released!

Post by Dalebvr »

Okay, that is going to be freaking neat when its playable!

Baler

Post by Baler »

Arena always had a charming appeal that I regret not embracing when I was younger. I jumped in at daggerfall and never looked back to give arena a fair chance. This openarena project may change that, keep up the good work.

hannafamilycomputer

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

I really like arena's atmosphere. The art is all one style, not half the sprites being pixel and the other half being 3-d to sprite. (Except the iron golem) It's main quest dungeons all have backstories that are told to you as you walk through the dungeon. (I like stonekeep and the labyrinthian the best, though crystal tower is the most unique)

However, the balence and gameplay itself is a pain. My first charecter wandered in the wilderness for most of the game, before I found out there was fast travel. (The only tes game I had played before that was morrowind) The argonian froze to death in the fortress of ice.(metaphorically) My second charecter, a thief, got all the way to the Mines of Khuras before I rage quit. Thieves can't use certain materials and above, and when every monster past a certain level needs that material to hit them, it's not exactly fun anymore. (You can beat the game like that, but you have to grind a lot to buy magic items, which all cost a lot to recharge)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think eventually we should look back to TES1 for some inspiration on how to improve DFU as well :)

DigitalMonk

Re: OpenTESArena 0.11.0 Released!

Post by DigitalMonk »

hannafamilycomputer wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:09 am though crystal tower is the most unique
Heh. Never got that far in the game proper, but just explored it here. I like the sample collection rooms, one of them in particular ;)

I can see how this OpenTESArena could be a huge spoiler, though. So tempting to just run around invulnerable with all the keys, and I'm finding some rooms that are really cool (though possibly only within the context of the Doom-like design... Not sure. But I got a little chill wandering into some of them). I need to stop doing that before I ruin all the surprises!

I don't think I got far enough in the main game to hit the impervious monsters like you did. What finally did me in was the "random encounter table" problem... Generic enemies have "percent chance to spawn per minute", and if they succeed, they pop in just out of sight, around a corner, or (the one that killed me so, So, SO many times) behind you. In a dead-end alley that you've already cleared, explored, searched, and _KNOW_ doesn't have any secret panels... And if you're REALLY unlucky, that random encounter will either be able to kill you in two hits or paralyze you and then whittle you down. So, yeah, I hated the difficulty setting, and would welcome some adjustment when combat gets implemented. I am not of the "git gud" culture :oops: , and prefer to enjoy my games in the limited gaming time I have now.

I agree with K.o.W.: Taking some inspiration from the best parts of Arena could improve the experience in the later entries. Of course, we probably all have different ideas about what the "best" parts are, but to me they would be the things that when you're playing, you feel like you're experiencing a feature that isn't in any other game... To me, the standout in that regard is the wilderness generation. I know now that it's still just blocks shuffled and stuck together, and yet, somehow, it feels "real enough". Little villages and vineyards and farms... Probably another case of "only works because of the primitive graphics", but somehow it DOES work.

(Whoops, rambling... Better stop...)

BansheeXYZ

Post by BansheeXYZ »

What's most impressive about this project is that it's just C++/SDL. Much harder to do that than going through Unity. I keep telling myself I need to learn C++, but then I hear it takes like a decade to get comfortable with the language and I lose all motivation to get started.

hannafamilycomputer

Post by hannafamilycomputer »

In the dosbox version of Tes Arena, every encounter is a jump scare.

If you don't have a light spell, you can see 5 - 10 feet in front of you before there is a wall of pitch black. If you have a light spell, you can see all the way to the end of every hallway, but the monsters still spawn 15 feet in front of you! :lol: