Bugged Quests

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Winstorming

Bugged Quests

Post by Winstorming »

I recently started playing Daggerfall Unity, and I've noticed a lot of quests seem to be broken. For example one Fighter's Guild quest where you're supposed to go to a dungeon and kill a giant. I went to the location and killed the giant, but nothing happens, the quest doesn't get updated/completed. I tried to re-enter the dungeon 3-4 times and kill the giant again but it just doesn't work. Also a thieves guild quest where I was supposed to smuggle drugs to a woman in a residence. I give her the drugs and get money from her but the quest doesn't complete, when I go back to the quest giver they just ask what the hell I'm doing and that I should be dealing with the task. This is very frustrating because now I can't take on new quests, I have to wait until the quests get cancelled and I lose reputation with the guilds.

pango

Re: Bugged Quests

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, Winstorming!

Game saves would help understand what's going on...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Almost all of the quests have been reviewed and are in a passing state. The Giant Killing quest is known to be working correctly. It sounds like you found a giant, but it wasn't the giant. You'll know it when you kill the right one. :)

Pango's advice is good. If you have troubles with a quest, please post a game save to Help & Support and we'd be happy to take a look at what's going on. There's a sticky at the top of Help & Support with information on how to locate saves on your platform.

Jhonrock

Post by Jhonrock »

Kinda on the subject of this topic, but as I play this game, I've been noticing some quests that I can't complete. Usually, those are quests related to the procedurally generated dungeons. The objective of the quest is located in some inacessible room, a room that cannot be reached because there is no path connecting to it (to reach it, I have to use the teleport command on the game console and fly around untill I reach it). And no, I'm not talking about those quests in which you are instantly teleported to some random room within the dungeon, when you get the quest, and have to find the exit. I'm talking about those in which you have a mission to kill some enemy, or find some item, or rescue some guy.

Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? :?: :roll: :?:

Baler

Post by Baler »

Jhonrock wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:58 pmthose are quests related to the procedurally generated dungeons. The objective of the quest is located in some inacessible room, a room that cannot be reached because there is no path connecting to it
Sounds like daggerfall working as intended :lol:
I remember these kinds of things happening when I played classic daggerfall
Which is how I learned to always make a separate save game before I accept any quest.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've had countless times where I was certain the game had failed to spawn the enemy or was in an impossible location... until I cheat and warp to the quest target. Then I find I was just missing a little torch or switch or something else that should've been obvious :lol: I believe many of Daggerfall's "bugged quests" are actually just this in disguise.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've been through the same process as Jay many times. I'm positive something has gone wrong only to discover I just didn't look as thoroughly as I thought and missed a secret.

I don't mean to diminish how supremely frustrating these quest placements can be, but they're very rarely genuinely impossible. :)

Jhonrock

Post by Jhonrock »

Yes, yes, indeed, sometimes, this unnoticed switches are the culprits.

To deal with that, I've been using the 3D map A LOT, placing markings in all suspicious places and unexplored paths and, also, to look for secret passages.

But even factoring those cases, there's still these "unfinishable" dungeons.

Baler

Post by Baler »

If you run into this share your save game ;)

pango

Post by pango »

Known issues with dungeons are listed here.

And it would have been better to start a new thread instead of hijacking an existing one.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart