Why Did My High Elf Get Paralysed?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Kraggy

Why Did My High Elf Get Paralysed?

Post by Kraggy »

In the original game High Elves are immune to paralysis and so could take a Crit. Weakness to Paralysis but still never get paralysed .. but in DFU my High Elf just got paralysed by a spider!

In the past I also noticed that the original game's "Immune to Magic" also gave immunity to Poison and Paralysis but that doesn't work in DFU.

I put that second case down to Bethesda's version being bugged and didn't bother asking about it, but bugged or not DFU's behaviour with the High Elf case doesn't seem correct.

Is this WAI or not, and if so what's the rationale behind it?

mikeprichard

Re: Why Did My High Elf Get Paralysed?

Post by mikeprichard »

This is an intentional exploit fix in DFU: read sections 5 and 7 at https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes2Mod:Dagger ... ifferences. This topic has also been discussed about a dozen times over the past year or so here on the DFU forums, so I again ask the devs as I believe I asked before (don't want to do another forum search through the many topics): is there any way the tooltips and related in-game DFU info can be clearer about these and other major character creation differences between classic and DFU? I understand you don't want to go overboard with in-game potentially "non-immersive" messaging about DFU, but this is a major point of confusion that I don't see ever getting decisively resolved otherwise. (Not everyone's going to read the wiki.)
Last edited by mikeprichard on Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skakmat

Post by Skakmat »

Both exploits were intentionally fixed. A High Elf with crit. weakness to paralysis has a 50% resistance to paralysis, while Low Tolerance is 75% resistance. There's a thread about this here that goes into more detail and has responses from Interkarma about it.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2380

Kraggy

Post by Kraggy »

I don't accept it's a 'cheesy exploit' which is the title of that thread you linked to which I didn't come across when I looked for 'paralysis'.

I'm sure it has been discussed many times because I have never seen a document on here which lists all the INTENTIONAL incompatibilities DFU has with FALL, so any deviation from Bethesda's game at first appears to be a bug .. the link to the 'differences' information which until now. I have never seen is not on DFU's site but UESP and while I reference that site endlessly I've never stumbleld across that information.

"(Not everyone's going to read the wiki.)"

If you're referring to the DFU section of UESP as 'the Wiki' then perhaps it's the lack of any link to it in the "Links" list at the right-hand side of the DFU home page .. or any 'sticky' post on the DFU forums with a subject indicating where the information can be found .. that is a reason why players new to DFU are unaware of it.

Thanks for pointing to the UESP information, that clearly would have answered my question had I been aware of it before today.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Kraggy wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 pm If you're referring to the DFU section of UESP as 'the Wiki' then perhaps it's the lack of any link to it in the "Links" list at the right-hand side of the DFU home page .. or any 'sticky' post on the DFU forums with a subject indicating where the information can be found .. that is a reason why players new to DFU are unaware of it.
Couldn't agree more - I've asked for exactly this before as well, but it's not up to me. The location of the UESP DFU pages buried in the UESP "mods" section is also something I disagree with, and also something that's not up to me. ;)

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

The differences between classic and DFU should maybe just be stated in the PDF manual that DFU comes with once DFU reaches version 1.0
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

High Elves are immune to paralysis unless you intentionally give them Low Tolerance or Critical Weakness. Even then, they retain a much higher resistance (LT=75%, CW=50%) than any other race so afflicted (LT=25%, CW=0%).

This means your choices at the class creator now have consequences. You aren't just cheesing extra points for nothing because of a logic bug. If you aren't willing to roleplay that lower resistance, then don't put that card in your deck.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

mikeprichard wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:58 pm Couldn't agree more - I've asked for exactly this before as well, but it's not up to me. The location of the UESP DFU pages buried in the UESP "mods" section is also something I disagree with, and also something that's not up to me. ;)
I'm more than happy to put this link on the Workshop sidebar. My apologies if you've requested this before and I've not actioned. I'll add this today.

I agree with you on the misplacement of DFU in the TES2 mods subpages at UESP. This is a full game built from the ground up, larger in scale than even the original Daggerfall. Doesn't seem right to stick it in a list with a few classic mods and stale DaggerXL links. I just accept that one, and like yourself cannot do much about it.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

No need to apologize, Interkarma, and please note I wasn't trying to be snarky, although I think I came across that way. Anyway, thank you! And yes, re: the UESP, they've clearly made up their mind on this, but your linking the DFU pages to your site will be a huge help.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's no problem, have added link now. :)