Correcting more classic Item Maker inconsistencies

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Re: Correcting more classic Item Maker inconsistencies

Post by pango »

@Interkarma I don't think you said anything about those changes:

Code: Select all

1) "Cast When Strikes" should only be listed in the Item Maker UI for weapons.
2) "Vampiric Effect: When Strikes" should only be listed in the Item Maker UI for weapons.
Does the small patch I posted make sense, should I make a PR out of it?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yes, I agree it makes sense for those enchants to only apply to weapons. Setting the flag as you say will do the trick. I'm happy if you want to make a PR for this. :)

pango

Post by pango »

Done.

Thanks Mike!
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Legend :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Great - thank you both!

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

pango wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:39 am @Interkarma I don't think you said anything about those changes:

Code: Select all

1) "Cast When Strikes" should only be listed in the Item Maker UI for weapons.
2) "Vampiric Effect: When Strikes" should only be listed in the Item Maker UI for weapons.
Does the small patch I posted make sense, should I make a PR out of it?
Hello - armor/shields, clothing, and miscellaneous items may still be enchanted with the "Vampiric Effect: When Strikes" enchantment via the showitemmaker console in DFU 10.23, at least in my attached save. Note that this save was started in 10.22 and only now resaved under 10.23. Thanks!
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(335.65 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Has my reported remaining issue just above been confirmed for a future fix, or do I need to do more testing? Note that I did only test using the 10.23 "showitemmaker" console and not a real item maker NPC, as I was too lazy to cheat my character's stats up to meet the Mage's Guild rank requirement. ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

mikeprichard wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:59 pm Hello - armor/shields, clothing, and miscellaneous items may still be enchanted with the "Vampiric Effect: When Strikes" enchantment via the showitemmaker console in DFU 10.23, at least in my attached save. Note that this save was started in 10.22 and only now resaved under 10.23. Thanks!
I vetoed this one on git, Mike. The flag to restrict enchantments to weapons is available only to the parent of an effect group (Vampiric Effect). Setting this without additional code changes would have confined both effects in this group to weapons, including the At Range variant. It's better just to leave as-is for now.

To set this up correctly will require new support in the enchantment system to filter out sub-effects of an effect group to weapons only. This is a design issue (albeit one informed by the classic game we're recreating) that isn't trivial to overcome with other things on my plate right now.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Ah, understood - I had made a note on the relevant UESP page about a pending bug fix in DFU on this issue, but it does seem to be more work than warranted right now, so I'll revert. Thanks for the follow-up.

zimmicks

Post by zimmicks »

Regarding "Cast When Strikes" abilities (Spells, Vampiric Effects, etc), this really needs to be able to apply to gauntlets / gloves armor pieces for characters who rely on Hand-to-Hand skill for melee damage (Monks etc). Would it be possible to code the ability of gloves / gauntlets to have melee striking ability like weapons do, and then be able to add this effect to them?
On this subject, there also needs to be a Training NPC added to the game for training Hand-to-Hand, as it currently stands this is the only skill in the game that can't be trained.