Dev build/Linux: one-way staircases [game-data related] [RESOLVED 0.10.22]

pango

Dev build/Linux: one-way staircases [game-data related] [RESOLVED 0.10.22]

Post by pango »

That's an issue I've known for a while, but I don't remember if I already reported it...
In some buildings, they're stairs you can only climb up. Once on the first story, the stairs are hidden below the floor.
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (157.93 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
other side.jpg
other side.jpg (107.29 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
(don't mind the piece of world map in the screenshot)
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(497.34 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Re: Dev build/Linux: one-way staircases [game-data related]

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks Pango. This is another case where bad geometry layouts stick the player controller. That staircase is actually sealed from above, so even if you teleport past it you can't go back down again. My current "automatic unstick" process can't work with this problem. In this case, patching the geometry is the best solution. I'll create a resolution when I can.

Workaround: anyone stuck in a house with this issue should use "trans_out" from console to exit house again.

Atropal

Wayrest Mansion Traps You on Upper Floor

Post by Atropal »

The very large green house in Wayrest (The biggest one that I've seen for sale at something like 1.1 million) traps you on the top floor if you enter by one of its many doors. This is the tetris-ey Z-shapedish one, there's a few of them, to be as specific as possible without know the name of the interior cell, there's one directly East of the Dirty Priest (a tavern in Wayrest) just past a tiny hut.
When you go up the staircase you are shunted up through a bugged floor which closes behind you. The bugged portion of the house also vibrates similarly to how the wall in that particular mages guild glitches. The only way out is with magic, trans_out or a reload. Anyways, hope this was helpful... I should have hired a home inspector before making such a large purchase, my bad. ;)

pango

Re: Wayrest Mansion Traps You on Upper Floor

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums Atropal!

It looks like a duplicate, or a close variant, of this report: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2028
(which for some reason is marked as resolved)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

I took a look at this and the reason you got stuck is because, for some reason, a copy of model #31000 was placed on top of model #31022 (the stairs). There is absolutely no reason why 31000 needs to be there. 31022 already contains all the vertices and faces needed.

Thus, as far as I'm concerned, the solution is that model #31000 needs to be removed from whatever part of the code is responsible for placing it there. Am I correct in assuming that this would be part of an RMB file? This particular house is labelled "RESIBM01.RMB-601-building7".
pango wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:05 am It looks like a duplicate, or a close variant, of this report: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2028
(which for some reason is marked as resolved)
That link gives me a "requested topic does not exist" error.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

XJDHDR wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 am Thus, as far as I'm concerned, the solution is that model #31000 needs to be removed from whatever part of the code is responsible for placing it there. Am I correct in assuming that this would be part of an RMB file? This particular house is labelled "RESIBM01.RMB-601-building7".
Yeah, when you use

Code: Select all

dumbbuilding
when you're inside, you'll get a JSON file named RESIBM01.RMB-601-building7.json

You'll have to edit that file to remove the reference to model 31000 and load the altered JSON through StreamingAssets/Worlddata as a loose file or make a mod out of it.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:13 am Yeah, when you use

Code: Select all

dumbbuilding
when you're inside, you'll get a JSON file named RESIBM01.RMB-601-building7.json

You'll have to edit that file to remove the reference to model 31000 and load the altered JSON through StreamingAssets/Worlddata as a loose file or make a mod out of it.
Just tried it and this is indeed the solution:

Now, if Interkarma is willing to add this to DFU, then he can do so. Otherwise, I'm willing to add this to my bugfix project.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. :)

Yep, filtering out the problem model is a good method. Mod system can do this, or I can build something into core to handle cases like this.

I'll be jumping in to some code this weekend, will see what I can do here, as it would be nice for core to prevent this without any mods.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

You're welcome and good luck. I'm struggling to think of a way that a scenario like this can be detected and fixed at runtime.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'll just set it up like Ferital's UV patching and a few other runtime fixes we do in core. When loading the problematic interior, filter out the problem model. Like the UV patching, we can add to it if more interiors with this problem become known.

And this will remain compatible with mods that just override that interior too, so potentially both fixes can coexist.