[0.10.23] Game locks up when paused for extended period [RESOLVED 0.10.24]

CasualClark

[0.10.23] Game locks up when paused for extended period [RESOLVED 0.10.24]

Post by CasualClark »

I couldn't find this issue elsewhere in the forum, so forgive me if this is redundant.

I've returned to Unity for build 0.10.22 and just updated to 0.10.23. For both versions, if I take a break from a game session for awhile after hitting ESC to display the game menu and pause the game, or if I get a quest message or notification which pauses the game and I don't remove that message right away (go get coffee, etc), the game over time (roughly 20-30 minutes or so) either locks up when I come back to play the game or there is a long delay before I can get control of the game again. In the latter case, the longer I take to return to the game, the longer the game takes to respond to me. Seems like a form of a memory leak that is triggered when the game is paused.

And if I can regain control of the game, UI issues pop up. The Save/Load game screen is distorted (UI elements are missing), some Yes/No buttons on options such as 'exit game?' don't display, select items don't display on the inventory screen (blank boxes amongst other visible inventory items) and there are other graphics anomalies that pop up. I end up restarting the game regardless.

That said, I'm playing with a number of the most popular Nexus Mods. Was curious if anyone has had this problem and if so, could this be a mod causing this? Tempted to start disabling mods to test this but was curious if this sounds familiar to anyone before I start that process.

Thanks for the help!

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.23] Game locks up when paused for extended period

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for report! I'll move this to bug reports for investigation.

Thank you for confirming it happens in 0.10.22 also. This means it's probably not a result of some recent asset cleanup tuning. Sounds like some profiler time needed.

I'll tag this as a 0.10.23 bug anyway, as that's where we're at.

CasualClark

Post by CasualClark »

Thanks!

I'll remove all the mods later today then try again with a new character. Just curious to see if its the engine itself or if a mod might be doing something to mess with it.

CasualClark

Post by CasualClark »

I tested the game without mods and there were slight differences.

The game didn't lock up per se. It took a similar amount of time for screen control to return, but the other graphical issues remained, such as no map would display, the YES/NO options on game exit would not display, etc. So it does seem a bit more responsive when returning to the game but I still have to restart it to play it.

If you need me to provide a configuration file to see what processes are running, etc. just let me know.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for update. I have spent some time in profiler and found the cause. A texture leak once per frame was generated by HUD breath bar (specifically the vertical progress bar UI component used by this HUD element).

We don't notice this so much during gameplay as unused assets are periodically unloaded to recover memory. But the HUD updates even while paused (to show health bars, etc. while resting) so was subject to this bug without the remediation of unloading unused assets.

I have fixed this now and memory no longer increases constantly while game is paused, or while game is running and sitting idle.

@Pango - I strongly suspect this was contributing to our skips when unloading unused assets when closing UI windows. But even if not, good to have identified this.

Resolved in 0.10.25. I'll leave this open until next version is out for confirmation.

CasualClark

Re: [0.10.23] Game locks up when paused for extended period [RESOLVED 0.10.25]

Post by CasualClark »

Fantastic! Thanks for the update and glad to hear it was a legit issue. Looking forward to 0.10.25!

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.23] Game locks up when paused for extended period [RESOLVED 0.10.24]

Post by Interkarma »

I just realised I lost count of version numbers. This will actually be resolved in 0.10.24 (next release). :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Haha, I was a little worried there, but didn't want to ask :lol:

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Great find guys - bugs like this can easily slip through the net!
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods